Working up new load for a novice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fairly new to reloading, only reloaded 9mm for target practice and was pretty much happy they fired, didn't blow up my gun, and hit paper.

Now I'm looking to reload for rifle and have questions about how people go about getting the most accurate load. My question is how do you go about knowing which variable to adjust.

Cartridge is 3006, bullet is set for a while (got free hornady bullets with the dies). Have 2 powders - IMR 4350 and Ramshot Biggame.

I know to start at the minimum powder charge and go up from there, but also have variations in seating depth, primer selection (does this matter at all?), do you worry about case length as long as it is between upper and lower limits? And then they can all be adjusted together.

While I know I might not get the absolute best accuracy if I don't try every combination, but I don't have unlimited resources or time.

Thanks

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    I started like you many years ago with pistol and was pretty easy to find a combination that worked for me. Then and I am still at it, I went to rifle which is much more difficult for me, many more combinations and rifles seem to be more sensitive to bullets, powder and primers. I'm no expert on the subject but may be able to help some.

1. Okay first you have bullets and powder (I do not use or have used the two you list so I can't give you specific information), I would stick to those to start. Use a couple reloading charts to determine safe min. and max. loads with your powder and bullet combination. You can find a lot of reloading information including powder charges on the net (i.e., Hornady, Sierra, Hogdon, etc.). When you can I suggest you buy a loading manual Hornady, Sierra, Barnes, etc. are all good and have a lot of good information. I usually start somewhere above the min. load and reload 3 to 5 of each load, with a .5 gr. increase for each batch. Go to the range and group these batches, some will be better than others, pick the best and try .2 gr. above and below your best load. When doing this do not change anything COAL, bullet weight, primers, etc. This will be your best load for that combination.

The above gave you the greatest accuracy for that combination, now things become much more difficult. Now you can try different primers (but you may have to change the load or powder), you can try different cartridge overall length, and anything else you want to change. However, my suggestion is to change only one at a time until you find the combination best for your rifle. If you change more than one in the combination, you will essentially be starting all over again (ask me how I know).

I do not know what your accuracy expectations are, but for hunting or just casual shooting I'm sure you will find the combination that meets your needs before going through all of the combinations. If you are looking for absolute best, then I don't know if any of us have ever gotten there. Best of luck and please remember to take your time to make sure everything is done safely.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    For rifle loads, I start at the minimum and go up in .3 grain increments. I load 3 rounds at each level. Overall length is normally something I load to if there are magazine constrains. To start off, I typically work on something factory length. After I find a few good loads then I would do variation on those with different lengths. I would go from a standard/mag length round to around 10 thou off the lands. You would need a Hornady gauge or equivalent to find the max length you could load at and reach the lands. Depending on bullets and charges you could see an increase in accuracy as you get closer to the lands. This is due to the reduction in bullet jump after firing. As for primers I use the regulars for my fun loads and anything not super accurate. For my .308 I shoot in F-TR I use Federal Gold Medal primers, trim every case the same length, and even weigh out the bullets.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I usually start with charge variations and then use seating depth to fine tune. Don't burn up a whole lot of barrel life on one bullet type looking for a load unless you have specifically chosen that bullet for it's design (not availability).

Royst

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Slidell
    What type of rifle action are you using? If it is bolt action I would get a neck die. I would use only one brand of case. I prefer Winchester. Start as the others have suggested. I would load (5) of each adding .5 grams in each load. Be sure to examine each case for signs of excess pressure. (If the primers are starting to crater back off ). Do not use a powder throw, hand weight each cartridge. I also weigh my bullets and put them in lots that are closer to each. You will be surprised at the variances in bullets other than match. Changing cases,powder, primers all have a effect on accuracy. Just have fun, be safe and try not to spend a lot of money cause it does addict you

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Royst, not to be smart-azz or belabor a point, but watch your terminology, especially when teaching a new reloader. "Grams" and "grains" of weight are two very different things. If you go up 0.5 grams of powder that's a heck of a lot. GW

Royst

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Slidell
    Thanks for catching my mistake. You are absolutely correct. Goes to show you not to try and do two things at once!

stateguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Sorry for the slow reply.

Remington 700 ADL

Neck sizing is not an option right now b/c that's more cost I can't really afford right now

Top Bottom