Worm Farm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    As I get more into fishing I'm interested in keeping a worm farm to avoid the ridiculous cost of nightcrawlers. I have no garden so not looking at a composting setup. I have a shaded awning where I'm wondering if I can keep them in a sterilite bin, throw in scraps like eggshells, coffee and whatnot and have a very low maintenance setup. But it's southern Louisiana, so I have no idea if it'll work or they'll all die of heatstroke even in the shade. Good or bad idea? Don't want another timesink, so hoping for something I can throw food into once a week, infrequently replace bedding and otherwise ignore.

Oh, and I have an indoor workroom I wouldn't mind keeping them in, if that's possible without it being messy or smell.

Last edited:

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I recall seening old refrigerators laid on their backs and used as worm beds. Not sure how they may have been modified to make them work.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    As I get more into fishing I'm interested in keeping a worm farm to avoid the ridiculous cost of nightcrawlers. I have no garden so not looking at a composting setup. I have a shaded awning where I'm wondering if I can keep them in a sterilite bin, throw in scraps like eggshells, coffee and whatnot and have a very low maintenance setup. But it's southern Louisiana, so I have no idea if it'll work or they'll all die of heatstroke even in the shade. Good or bad idea? Don't want another timesink, so hoping for something I can throw food into once a week, infrequently replace bedding and otherwise ignore.

Oh, and I have an indoor workroom I wouldn't mind keeping them in, if that's possible without it being messy or smell.
    If you keep them up, feed them, and drain the fertilizer they produce they are excellent! We used (3) 20gal totes, 2 drilled for straining and one tapped for draining. You have to keep them up, a very minimal time sink. If you let the worms drown in their own fertilizer it will stink.

JimmyJames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I recall seening old refrigerators laid on their backs and used as worm beds. Not sure how they may have been modified to make them work.
    A little too redneck for me. Don't want a rusting refrigerator in my yard.
    I remember seeing an old chest type freezer being used as a worm bed . It was kept in a shed .
    Nothing can survive the fires of hades inside my shed. I put a window unit in it a few years back to try and make working in there bearable. Still hotter than my kitchen range.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Carry yourself over to N.Dugas and pick up a load or 2 of FREE mulch at Dean Domingue's

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Back in the 90s I had a compost mound that was feed with grass clippings, oak leaves & pine needles. It started on patio stones but spread over a bit. To start it I added water and that was it. I turned it maybe once a week or two when I added grass. I had some Big Fat worms in there along with some real nice compost that I used in the garden. It did take some muscle to turn it but not long.
    I had a few worms that just showed up but I added some from the garden, then I had Lots of worms. I never had it in a drought though.There is the problem of mold when you turn the pile. My allergies are why I gave it up.
    So no rusty fridge in the yard just a mound with grass cutting on top.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Alfred92
    Top Bottom