Worth a look

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I have several retention holsters , (C-Tacs ) but passive, I really don't trust ME with a retention be it thumb break or serpa...just don't see retention in a self defense rig.

Agree...there are people who can use things like the Serpa safely, but IMO it just adds things that could go wrong, like having a 32 valve engine.

fm2

Juiceman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Texas
    It does bring up an issue I have always felt strongly about, while having all types of guns and gear is super neato...My personal philosophy is to train with and carry ONE gun in ONE holster. It takes infinite dedication just to become competent with one rig, playing "gun of the day" is just asking for trouble. This video demonstrates exactly that. When you start doing things fast and/or under stress your brain goes into stupid mode and won't keep track of which gun you have on your side and what holster it's in. And then you'll shoot yourself in the leg. :o

I agree 100%. There should be a distinction between your defensive/carry gun and other fun guns. I always wonder WTF are they thinking, when people post their carry rotation. They typically have no consistancy. I know to some consistancy is boring, but I like it's predictability.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    It does bring up an issue I have always felt strongly about, while having all types of guns and gear is super neato...My personal philosophy is to train with and carry ONE gun in ONE holster. It takes infinite dedication just to become competent with one rig, playing "gun of the day" is just asking for trouble. This video demonstrates exactly that. When you start doing things fast and/or under stress your brain goes into stupid mode and won't keep track of which gun you have on your side and what holster it's in. And then you'll shoot yourself in the leg. :o
    Which is why I carry the same gun in the same holster everyday and even use the same setup even when playing at the EAPS matches. I want to be familiar with the way my setup is and not have relearn a new or different holster or pistol under stress.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Good post, Speed- and I agree.

If you do have a need (or maybe even an urge), sticking to a single holster type for all of your pistols makes a huge difference. Likewise, pistols of the same basic design and manual of arms plays into this notion. You can work with 5 different lengths and shapes of 1911s and never run into a problem, and throw in other thumb safety guns and likely be on point with them as well.

In my case, an M&P for EDC and a Glock for competition (both from BladeTechs) are close enough that I might even forget which one I am shooting that session. Couple that to the very similar sights, and you've got consistency. When I work with the FNP 45, it takes conscious effort and I slow myself down intentionally. (Working on making it as natural as the striker Torres, and the sight-and-holster consistency is making it easier.)

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    From the comments :

this guys training is pathetic, when shot... and the threat is gone, you sit down... stay put.... and control the bleeding AND your breathing. Stupid idiot walked towards the camera!? MORON!
    LosAngelesWeedSmoker 52 minutes ago

I feel reasonably sure this comment was added by someone who is in terrible need of an ass whippin, we're I Tex and could reach him it'd be a crutch delivered ass whippin

I like the video...seems like the guy is trying to do what he says ; help others by explination

BTW...after reading all the Serpa comments, there still won't be one hangin off my hillbilly self anytime soon

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I watched the video again when I could actually pay more attention, and I don't see any reason to fault the guy. He ****ed up, and explained what happened without making excuses for himself. It would have been easy for him to blame the Serpa.

Agreed that is why I have a do a different knife everyday. I don't need additional training to cut fruit and open packages with a different platform.....

in625shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Wow, he shot himself with a 45 and he lived. according to the rest of the internet he should have been instantly thrown backwards and killed

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Had a friend do the same thing with ruger 45 long colt. Had about same reaction bullet penciled right through. Forever known as quickdraw! :D

nate223

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    nathan-fillion-well-nevermind.gif

Avoidable. Have the presence of mind to not pull the trigger as soon as your finger clears the holster, or keep it in the safe.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    IF that had been 10 mm ( :noes: ) he would have disappeared into the shell hole in the ground and had to be airlifted out :bowrofl:

Top Bottom