Would you feel safe carrying a snub nose revolver on the New Orleans streets?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Honestly for me it depends on where Im at and what time it is.There are some places here that I dont feel safe at at nite even if I were in a tank. I live in a nice hood but if you go 6 blocks away its a nomans land.But then again its like that in any big city today.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    first time to shoot ["JUDGE"]...I did not expect the pattern so be so good.

Try one of WInchester (I think...) PD "Disc" rounds. It's got 3 #000 buck, 3 saucer-shaped discs and 12 BBs in a 2 1/2" shell. Tried some out at a friend's property (experimenting, you understand? :D ) into an old plastic kid's wading pool. Now it can't be used as a pool any longer, but it will make a great strainer if only he can find something to strain thru it ... driveway gravel comes to mind.

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    It all depends on how well the carrier shoots the revolver. Most people don't shoot them as well as they think they do. If you have one and can shoot it well, it would be more than enough.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana

Since willis, gibson and reeves were brought up with their "cool" spray and pray wondernines, here's a bit of old school. Michael Douglas first role. TV detectives with snubbies in the 70s pursuing a psycho muscle bound killer.
    I like the more realistic take on when the bad guy is shot. The bullet doesn't pick him up and send him flying back through the wall or a spray of bullets sending a gallon of blood spurting out of him and his clothes with each shot. He shuts down, collapses and dies from a wound.

Anyway, I'd feel fine with 2 inch snub nose carry. Although, most of the time I carry a 4 inch service revolver because 1) I like a gun that has a little more power from a longer barrel, can handle hotter loads and is more accurate at longer ranges and 2) it looks a little more intimidating if you have to pull it. BUT, about 50-25% of the time I carry a Colt DS as it's easier to conceal, holster is easy to remove or even replace the gun from a crossdraw hip holster to an ankle holster if I want to take my coat off. And sometimes I'm actually surprised at just how accurate I am with that gun....sometimes even equal or even better than with the 4 inch revolver.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    It all depends on how well the carrier shoots the revolver. Most people don't shoot them as well as they think they do. If you have one and can shoot it well, it would be more than enough.

I recall Chic Gaylord in his book Handgunners Guide: 1960 expressing this concern that too many people who are underpracticed choose snub nose revolvers and start pulling the trigger the instant it clears the holsters and can't hit the broad side of a barn much less a criminal and these "would be heros" wind up hurting innocents and wind up in a civil suit. He favored the 4 inch service revolver for the average person.

7beast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    New Orleans
    Yes. I carry my S&W airweight at times when I'm not able to carry my G23, which is when I'm wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt and i feel just as safe. Like someone said earlier "any gun is better than no gun".

J

jayd

I recall Chic Gaylord in his book Handgunners Guide in 1960
    Wow, its been along time since I've seen someone quote an expert, someone who has "seen the elephant"
    If you keep this up people might start quoting Louisiana native Bill Jordan or Rex Applegate or ole Elmer Keith who made 200 yrd shots with a snub when showing off ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I had a Taurus .38 snub for a while about 20 years ago. The trigger was horrible and I couldn't hit the proverbial barn with it.
    Anyway, while I had it I was driving through Desire Project to do a property inspection one afternoon. 5 of the local hoodlums were crossing the street in front of me at a stopsign and decided to screw around with me. Two stood in front the car and started yelling things at me, the other three separated and came up either side of the car to the front doors. At the time I was driving my wife's car, one of the few V6 Ford tempos. It could actually spin the tires on a dry street. They moved but it had me thinking. I had 5 rounds and 2 speed loaders. I probably wouldn't have time to reload at that range. I traded it in soon after for a s&w 469 with a 12 shot mag and a few 15 round mags as spares.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Thats exactly my point, LAcamper. Thanks for that example. Personally, when I'm carrying I want to find the best balance of comfort and concealability, while also being able to stop a group of threats.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Not that you would want to bet on it, but I tend to think they others would have become very non confrontational after you drop the first one.

I haven't got around to getting my concealed permit yet, but when I do I will have no second thoughts about carrying a revolver.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Me in New Awlins....naw...not even with this

PB.jpg

OR THIS

Ramboama.jpg

Just not for me.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    OP, what you shoot well, and what you are comfortable with is what it boils down to. But, you'll never be able to reload that wheel gun as fast as an autoloader, so bear that in mind. Well, most won't.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Been walking the streets of New Orleans with NO weapons for 40-odd years, and have never had a problem I couldn't handle, so yes, I'd feel safe with a snub-nosed revolver.

I don't think you carry...is that accurate ??

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...ed-while-trying-to-save-woman-from-carjacking post 16

" Personally I've never found a way to carry a concealed weapon without being extremely physically uncomfortable. "

I realize you are not claiming to carry or not carry...so do you ?? or maybe nunya Dawg ...??

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Wow, its been along time since I've seen someone quote an expert, someone who has "seen the elephant"
    If you keep this up people might start quoting Louisiana native Bill Jordan or Rex Applegate or ole Elmer Keith who made 200 yrd shots with a snub when showing off ;)

HA! Actually I posted a photo of Bill Jordan and Jelly Bryce earlier in this thread

I thought Bill Jordan was from Texas? He advocated point shooting with one hand and only using two hands at longer ranges (as seen and described in No Second Place Winners). Keith's book (can't think of it's name offhand) demonstrates Keith and policemen demonstrating point shooting and one hand shooting during target and combat situations (running, laying down, rolling, from a vehicle). 9 times out of ten, one hand is how I shoot and more and more I am practicing point shooting. If you can perform as crackshot with one hand then you can do that much better with two hands if you need to. It's a HAND(singular)gun, not a handsgun

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If I were Jerry Miculek, in a speed rig with a bunch of spare bugs on the belt-- sort of.

Me, in a concealable rig going about my day-to-days? No, not even close.

I used to tuck one in a pocket for the drive to and from the Saints games back in the day, but we were in heavy traffic with police presence or doing 65 the entire time we were within the city. It also came off the minute I got into the house, and the EDC either went right on to the hip or hovered at arms length.

Why? For one, absolute lack of range time in comparison with the bottom feeders. That DA pull is not easy to master. Overall performance comes into play as well-- and not specifically in terms of terminal performance. The sights aren't great, I feel like I'm holding an unfolded lawn chair as opposed to a pistol, the muzzle flip is foreign and the damn things just don't point well for me. (FS revolvers are another story, of course.) And as others have pointed out, 6 rounds really ain't a lot for even 2 attackers in a dynamic situation. Heck, I question my 11-count .45 from time to time-- but the reloads are a lot quicker, and a lot more practiced...

I don't question anyone who carries a revolver, provided they know how to use the damn thing. They're just certainly not for me, and some of the shortcomings couldn't be corrected through simple training either...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Not that you would want to bet on it, but I tend to think they others would have become very non confrontational after you drop the first one.

Maybe but I'd bet on the opposite reaction. I was sitting in front of a project building. Instead I'd bet on it being like stirring up an ant hill.

Top Bottom