Would you pay $150 for a really ugly Remington 1100?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    A local pawn shop has a Remington 1100 date coded from 1979 for $150. I am only wanting it as a toy, but I'm not sure. This particular gun has been used so much that the carving on the forend is worn smooth. It does have rust, but it's not deep. The action is dirty but the bolt and bolt face look shiny.

I am having a hard time making my mind up on this one and would greatly appreciate some outside opinions. Do y'all think this thing will keep on ticking after I clean and paint it, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks,
    Nathan.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    At that price, you can't go wrong, assuming it is functional. If you don't take it, I will. I have a room full of guns I never seem to use or take with me because I am afraid of putting a ding in a NIB piece. It has gotten so bad, I found myself buying a pair of everything, one to shoot and one to preserve (started with Garands and M1 Carbines). I am looking for an 1100 to make a defense gun out of, and I can't bring myself to cut up a nice gun. I hope this helps in your decision making. I know I would "have to buy it" if the prospect of someone else buying it comes up. Think about it: MY gun sitting in someone else's house! Blasphemy!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    A local pawn shop has a Remington 1100 date coded from 1979 for $150. I am only wanting it as a toy, but I'm not sure. This particular gun has been used so much that the carving on the forend is worn smooth. It does have rust, but it's not deep. The action is dirty but the bolt and bolt face look shiny.

I am having a hard time making my mind up on this one and would greatly appreciate some outside opinions. Do y'all think this thing will keep on ticking after I clean and paint it, or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks,
    Nathan.

For $150, yea... I'd buy it.

Strip it down, get it recoated, and cut the barrel down (assuming it has a 24/26" barrel). It would be a perfect truck gun.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    At that price even most functionality can be fixed :) I'd buy it. I've seen the older 1100's take an amazing amount of abuse and keep running with virtually no TLC...

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I have never seen a gun in person that was as worn out as this 1100. The forend is trashed. It's cracked and so worn you can barely see the engraving. The action looked filthy and there was dust bunnies behind the bolt. I can't tell if it will function or not. I'm probably going to buy in on Monday, anyway.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have never seen a gun in person that was as worn out as this 1100. The forend is trashed. It's cracked and so worn you can barely see the engraving. The action looked filthy and there was dust bunnies behind the bolt. I can't tell if it will function or not. I'm probably going to buy in on Monday, anyway.

The foreend can be changed. I don't see why that bothers you, unless you are trying to restore it. I would ditch the wood altogether.

I wouldn't worry about dust and dirt, that can be cleaned up. So long as the action isn't pitted to hell, you will be fine.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    The foreend can be changed. I don't see why that bothers you, unless you are trying to restore it. I would ditch the wood altogether.

I wouldn't worry about dust and dirt, that can be cleaned up. So long as the action isn't pitted to hell, you will be fine.

I only bring up the amount of wear to the forend to describe just how "used" the gun looks. It is ugly enough that I have to wonder if it will be functional.

copterdrvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well----did you buy it????

Remington 1100's are crazy simple to completely disassemble and if cleaned after use, will run forever. If you bought it and have any questions, just drop me a line.-I went to armorers school for the 870's and 1100's.

I was a member of the All Asia U.S. Air Force skeet team in the 70's and shot a full set of 1100's and I never had a part break. I have one 1100 SB Skeet that has over 50,000 rounds through it and the only part I replaced was the O-ring ______because I felt like it. Every dipstick I've ever met that wanted to badmouth 1100's did so because apparently they feel that a shotgun that you should invest about 3 minutes of cleaning after shooting is somehow "defective"....

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Sorry I forgot to update this thread, guys. I bought it the next day for $140 + tax. :D
    The end of the barrel was dented, and the forend was cracked. it was ridiculously dirty inside, but despite all that, it still cycled Estate target rounds when I got it home. I cleaned it up, cut the barrel down to 19", clipped on a fiber optic sight and +2 extension, and then my girlfriend bought me a speedfeed 4 set for Xmas. I plan to put caliper paint on it when the weather warms up.
    Here it is now: http://imgur.com/D1IW7dm
    And all that for under $300.

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    D1IW7dmh.jpg

Nice

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have an old 1100 (30 inch barrel) that I have considered cutting down similar to OP, but I have read mixed reviews online about going shorter than 21" on the gas operated 1100. Let us know when you can how well it works with the 19" barrel. Also, was this a 2 3/4 or 3" chamber? I've read the gas ports are smaller on the 3" guns increasing the problems with shorter barrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom