WTB 17HMR w/ nightvision scope and a supressor.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gostevo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Mandeville,La
    Like the title says I'm looking for a WTB 17HMR w/ nightvision scope and a supressor.
    According to the La. wildlife and fisheries all is good for use of night time hog hunting.
    The supressor requires a permit from the ATF.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Actually the law has changed now hasn't it? You can hunt at night with any caliber, as long as you contact the local sheriff. Can't do it during deer season though, or so I understand. Last year I geared up on a 22WMR semi-auto rifle and 22 WMR semi-auto pistol along with some cheap night vision. Glad they changed the law, but only after I invested in the firearms and about 500 rounds of 22 WMR.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    I thought I read where the hog hunting law had changed for La.IIRC it said you had
    to hunt with a caliber above .223 because they were tired of kids and people shooting
    them with .22s and .223s and not killing them.....

Where did you see that you can hunt with any caliber? Link please

Thanks...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I'm sorry, I do not have a link. I am guilty of passing on second hand knowledge, as told to me by my brother-in-law and seconded by several hunting buddies. I have not put this new law to the test as the hogs have moved off of our lease in search of water. Now that the "bottoms" have filled up again, I planned to test it out at the end of hunting season. Would also like to see it in writing, but the guys that told me, two different unrelated sources, eat-sleep-and-breathe hunting. This is still no substitute for seeing it in writing.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Also, please forgive us for shitting in your WTB thread. I just don't want to see you fork out the money for an expensive setup only to find out you could have gone a better way.

jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    Instead of going night vision, I would go with the primos scope mount spotlight with red filter...not hard to find, depending on the range, they can be had for $60-100+. I've slayed many racoons with this mounted on a ruger 10/22.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I just finished a 300 Blackout for this reason. You can pick up an ATN nightvision scope at Cabella's for about $500 the one that I have is all that I'll ever need. You can see and shoot about 100 yards with it. Looking to get a suppressor from Derrick ( BigBoyArmament). James Louque with Louque's Firearms (Gmshooter on the forum) can hook you up with the 300 Upper. Good luck with the quest for the perfect Hog gun.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Will a 17HMR kill a hog? The heaviest bullet is 20gr
    For a suppressor to really be quite, you need to shoot sub-sonic
    It would be better to shooting something heavy at 1,000 fps

Turnaround time for BATFE approval has supposedly gone to 5 months
    This doesn’t include 3 weeks for State Police approval

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Exactly what is a 300 blackout

Sigh..............Google is your friend. Do a little digging and you can learn much, but here is a bit to get started.

http://300aacblackout.com/

300 AAC Blackout or 300BLK in short is a 30 cal projectile shoved into a .223/5.56 case. The case is shortened (some of it is cut off), the shoulder is moved rearward and obviously the new case mouth is larger to accomidate the .30 cal bullet. It can be shot from an AR-15 based platform with just the change of a barrel. Because the parent case is .223/5.56 the case head dimension is the same so you use that same bolt as your AR-15. This also allows you to use your existing mags from your .223/5.56.

What does it do?
    Basicly you get 7.62x39 (AK-47) like preformance with the ergonomics of the AR platform in a supersonic loading. Effecitve range for supersonic ammo is about 400 yards, sure the round goes further but......

So why not build a 7.62x39 upper for an AR? Because it doesnt work. Many have tried and many have failed. Case taper has alot to do with it. Read up on the link for more info.

Where the caliber really shines is SUBsonic. It will reliablely cycle 30cal SUBsonic rounds in your AR (assuming the upper was built correctly with the correct port dimensions). As opposed to trying to do such with say .308Win in an AR-10 or even an FNAR the gun will not cycle with subsonic rounds so you end up with a single shot semiauto. FYI 308Win will not work with an AR-15 lower. To start the rounds will not even fit the mag well as they are too long.

300BLK is basicly a long throated 300 Whisper, which is argueably the best 30 cal subsoinc chambering for accuracy, as it was designed to be.

So in short you get an AK-47 in an AR with supersonic ammo and you get a reliable cycling 30 cal subsonic with subsonic ammo. And all you have to do is change a barrel if you already own an AR. Until now if you wanted a 30 cal in an AR type platform you had to go to a larger heavier platform like the AR-10, DPMS Panther, Knights Armament ect.

A 300BLK SBR with a suppressor shooting SUBsonic ammo = WINNING. Basicly it is like a virgin magnet.

Last edited:
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom