WTB 1911 Magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Hi Guys. I just bought a new (to me) 1911 Taurus 45 cal and need to pick up a couple of extra magazines. Can anyone send me the right direction? I already made the mistake of going to Academy and wasted my time. Any help with sources for ammo for the range would also be appreciated. Thanks for the input!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It depends on what you are going to be doing with this mags, if you plan on running them hard (weekend matches), stick with the name brands (chip mc, wilson combat or trip research) this usually go for $35 each and will be more reliable and you will have parts available if needed.

If you want to practice at the range have reliability but not break the bank.
    ACT Mags is the way to go they have an Anti Friction coating high gloss, most manufactures are now using ACT mags and stamping their logo on them (kimber, Taurus, S&W, Mec-Gar), you can actually use ACT mags and upgrade the guts for some Trip Research if you want a better setup as well, also ACT mags have a quick release of the bumper pad at the bottom very much like other newer auto's, push the pin and the guts come out for cleaning. THe other 1911 mags you have to push down on your folower to compress the spring then hold the spring down with something like a pick or small punch then wiggle the folower out and then your spring (lots of work) if u ask me.

I actually only use Wilson or ACT but thats a personal choice.

The cheapest place I found ACT mags is Top Gun Supply but they are currently out of stock.

Whatever you do stay away from Pro Mags

Last edited:

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    Thanks for the input. That's exactly why I put out a call for help. I needed to do my homework. For now, the range is all I see happening. Years ago I burned through quite a bit of ammo and am trying to get reacquainted with the sport.:):)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    ACT mags also have a lifetime warranty/replacement on them just in case that makes it any better for you.

Then you can also pick the $10 Gun Show Special but not all guns like those and you have no kind of warranty, the coat on it is slim to none existing and with a little bit of use will rust not to mention cleaning them is a pain.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    As a general rule, you can't go wrong with Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick mags for the 1911.

These are usually available at your better local gun retailers. McCormick's are usually around $20 and the Wilson's $30.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom