WTB a boat - and i need some advice...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have some land in mississippi on a 70 acre lake.

The property is covenant and deed restricted and prohibits gas engines above 15hp, so taking my 18' SeaRay out there is out. As is getting a traditional 'party barge' since i think it would be near to impossible to drive it without some horsepower.

My buddy had a 14' pontoon boat custom made, and drives it with a trolling motor - it does everything he wants it to do, and cost @ $4-5,000. I'm not opposed to that, but i'm not sure it's the best thing, either.

I have 3 boys (9,10,13) and a wife. The chances of us all ending up in a boat together are long, but i'd hate to make it impossible with a boat that is too small.

I guess my question in this: Should I get a large flatboat that will hold all of us (assuming one exists), or should I get a pontoon made? or?

If i get one made, do you have a suggestion on where? The only one i knew to call is the one who made my buddies boat.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    How about a pontoon boat with dual 15hp? Does the restrictions say no engines above 15hp or max craft hp of 15hp?

A single 15hp will move a light pontoon along if you are not in a hurry. The more stuff like smoker/pit, bath room, water slide, jacuzzi you add, the slower it will move.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNiuSrQKhc[/ame]

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    5290525_48735_full.jpg

Wouldn't be able to hydro-slide behind it, but it's not out of the question.

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I may have to do some digging. I couldn't find a 14/something I could push w/ electric motor that held us all.

I'm hesitant to go with a power motor just because I don't know if it will get enough use to run consistently.

I go there more in the summer than in the winter.

Thanks so far - M

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    I have two pontoon boats docked behind my house, a 18' Bass Buggy w/40 Merc. and a 24' Party Barge with a 90 Honda. We use the Sun Tracker 18' for fishing, which is very comfortable with the grandchildren, lots of room compared to a jon boat, etc. The 24' was stripped of furniture and replaced with a new deck and carpet. We use plastic chairs for seating, it's wide-open.

The 18' would do just fine with a small gas motor (15 hp) and a trolling motor .

Greg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom