WTB: First rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdickson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm looking to purchase my first rifle and would like to (hopefully) save a little money by buying from someone here.

I'm open to either a .243, .223 or a .22 WMR. I'm really not particular at this point.

I'd like for the gun to be in decent shape and I'm somewhat partial to the synthetic look over a wood stock. It'd also be cool if the rifle has a scope.

I'm a law student, and because of this my budget isn't too large. I'd appreciate any replies here, or you can email me at mdickson AT me DOT com.

mdickson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks guys, I'm grateful for your welcoming attitudes, and also thankful for this place already as I have learned a lot reading threads here the past few days.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Welcome I highly advice you to look into the Savage EDGE XP, its usually in the $300 range and it comes with a Bushnell Scope 3-9X40.

I actually sighted one in .223 last time I was home and I was impressed on the accuracy for the price, I had no problem with the cheap scope either shooting at 150 yds.

Buds Gun shop usually has them for $300 shipped to your FFL of choice.

GREAT entry level rifle that beats all others by quality and price.

Last edited:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I've owned two Marlin .22 WMR rifles(25MN & 882SS), both mag fed, and I have never had a malfunction out of either. They are great rifles, but I do agree that the .22LR is a much cheaper caliber to shoot and will do most jobs the .22WMR is used for. I like the extended range it give you, but I shoot the WMR much less often than the LR.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    What for?

What are you buying the rifle for: hunting, plinking, modifying/tactical, to have and to hold for long time?

I think that makes the difference in the caliber choice. The 10/22 is probably the most fun you can have with a general purpose rifle for the price of the gun and ammo. It should definitely be considered.

However, if you are hunting at all, you will likely want a little more...

woopazz403

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Gonzales
    Keep in mind that you can also build an AR15 for right under $600 if you play your cards right. Again, it all depends on the purpose of the rifle. I personally love my AR15 and believe it was the best decision I've ever made.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom