WTB Moon Shine!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    Guys, as long as you either

a) make it yourself
    b) buy from a licensed dealer (read: pays taxes on it)

It's not illegal. EVERYTHING was illegal during prohibition, hence the stigma. What do you think Everclear is? Moonshine! Its just distilled spirits fermented from a non-specific sugar source that isn't aged in charred barrels (that would make it whiskey/rye).

That entire "Moonshiners" show is staged. They are doing nothing illegal, otherwise you think they'd still be airing it?

1) I was under the impression that manufacture of any type of moonshine, even if for personal consumption, is illegal. (not to mention, you have to then test it. most people do that on their dog to see if the dog loses vision. I need my dog to see, so then I feed it to my wife... and thats a WHOLE nother set of charges that get put on me...)

2) That whole show is staged... and thats why that "Popcorn" guy was sent to jail? (I agree, most of it is fake. Probably all of the stuff that is being recorded is fake... BUT, that dude did go to real jail.)

Last edited:

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    It is illegal to sell. you can make all the shine, wine, and beer you want just don't sell it tax free...big daddy wants his piece of the "pie"....

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    1) I was under the impression that manufacture of any type of moonshine, even if for personal consumption, is illegal. (not to mention, you have to then test it. most people do that on their dog to see if the dog loses vision. I need my dog to see, so then I feed it to my wife... and thats a WHOLE nother set of charges that get put on me...)

2) That whole show is staged... and thats why that "Popcorn" guy was sent to jail? (I agree, most of it is fake. Probably all of the stuff that is being recorded is fake... BUT, that dude did go to real jail.)

Well....you can ferment whatever you want, it's the distillation that is prohibited. But I'm pretty sure you can get a permit to distill...at least I thought. Maybe someone more versed can chime in, but I've seen people distill at home for consumption as well as fuel (ethanol). Not sure if they were permitted or not...

And as for the show being staged:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/12/30/virginia-claims-show-moonshiners-doesnt-show-illegal-moonshining/?intcmp=obnetwork

"Discovery's "Moonshiners" television series is about people who brew their own moonshine and local authorities' efforts to track them down. The show includes actual western Virginia residents and state agents. Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw told The Associated Press in an email Thursday that viewers have asked why the state is allowing a crime to take place. Shaw said the show is a dramatization, and no illegal liquor is actually being produced."

I don't know why "Popcorn" went to jail, but it wasn't for illegally producing alcohol.

Last edited:

shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    Guys, not trying to be "that guy," but producing any form of liquor at home (or even having the working equipment to do it) is a federal charge. period.

26 USC § 5601:
    (a) Offenses
    Any person who—
    1) Unregistered stills
    has in his possession or custody, or under his control, any still or distilling apparatus set up which is not registered, as required by section 5179 (a); or
    (6) Distilling on prohibited premises
    uses, or possesses with intent to use, any still, boiler, or other utensil for the purpose of producing distilled spirits, or aids or assists therein, or causes or procures the same to be done, in any dwelling house, or in any shed, yard, or inclosure connected with such dwelling house (except as authorized under section 5178 (a)(1)(C)), or on board any vessel or boat, or on any premises where beer or wine is made or produced, or where liquors of any description are retailed, or on premises where any other business is carried on (except when authorized under section 5178 (b)); or
    shall be fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, for each such offense.

The "or" prose in those means all you have to do is HAVE a still, and youre in trouble. Producing it would be a separate charge. The tax portion of the federal law is 5602.

I wanted clarification on it, so I called a bro over at LATC and he confirmed.

Good news, he did say that any house with two adult residents can produce 200 gallons of beer AND 200 gallons of wine per year, for personal consumption with no penalty.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Guys, not trying to be "that guy," but producing any form of liquor at home (or even having the working equipment to do it) is a federal charge. period.

26 USC § 5601:
    (a) Offenses
    Any person who—
    1) Unregistered stills
    has in his possession or custody, or under his control, any still or distilling apparatus set up which is not registered, as required by section 5179 (a); or
    uses, or possesses with intent to use, any still, boiler, or other utensil for the purpose of producing distilled spirits, or aids or assists therein, or causes or procures the same to be done, in any dwelling house, or in any shed, yard, or inclosure connected with such dwelling house (except as authorized under section 5178 (a)(1)(C)), or on board any vessel or boat, or on any premises where beer or wine is made or produced, or where liquors of any description are retailed, or on premises where any other business is carried on (except when authorized under section 5178 (b)); or
    shall be fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, for each such offense.

The "or" prose in those means all you have to do is HAVE a still, and youre in trouble. Producing it would be a separate charge. The tax portion of the federal law is 5602.

Good news, he did say that any house with two adult residents can produce 200 gallons of beer AND 200 gallons of wine per year, for personal consumption with no penalty.

Thanks for clarification Shaggy. That's what I thought also. But I think you can make ethanol for fuel purposes. Not sure...but that's what I vaguely remember reading. So I think one could have a still for making ethanol for fuel use as long as local codes don't prohibit it.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011

26 USC § 5601:
    (a) Offenses
    Any person who—
    1) Unregistered stills

No worries, not being that guy at all. Having a desire to share knowledge is nothing to apologize for.

I guess the part I'm hung up on is "registered" stills. This is what always gave me the impression that it was legal to produce liquor for consumption at home. Maybe it's just geared toward permitting for fuel use after all.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    You can easily make "legal shine" from your house..
    I have been doing it for years! Here is my Apple Pie reciepe..
    1-32 oz Apple Juice
    1-32 oz Apple Cider
    8- cinnamon sticks
    1- cup sugar
    1- cup brown sugar
    3- tablespoons vanilla (optional)
    1- 750ml Everclear (190 proof)

Mix the apple juice, cider sugars together in large pot.
    Heat till boiling, recuce heat and toss cinnamon sticks in.
    Simmer On low heat for 30 min.
    Remove from heat cover and let cool to room temp.
    (I let sit over night)
    Next add vanilla (I like but purely optional)
    Add 750 ml of Everclear.
    Stir and then pour into containers.
    For best results let sit at least a week.. 2 is better.
    Will make Just under a gallon of @ 50 proof shine!
    Enjoy!!!

Don't forget to drink it out of a new (never been used) gas can. Also, I know some people cut the sugar in half.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I once talked to a guy who made 'shine. He gave me a book on making alcohol for fuel. He was making it for fuel, to perfect his process. He said the cheapest license you could get was for 10k gallons, but this was also about 7-8 years ago. So I don't if it has changed.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    Popcorn's wife and kid went legit after his death. The stuff is kick @$$ strong, but smooooooooooooooth enough for all night sippin. Order a jar http://www.popcornsuttonswhiskey.com/

I kinda disagree. Just got a few jars today and about the only thing similar to the "real thing" is the color. The proof is too low for my taste and the flavor comes on too strong.

Don't get me wrong...I'll still drink it. It's just too different to compare it to...other things.

8489984577_1561fe3237_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom