WTB S&W .357 magnum 4"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I had thought the cracked forcing cone problem of the Model 19 and Ruger Security Six was well known to all revolver shooters. I saw my first one in 1980

What acerbated the problem was the use of 110-125gr 357mag loads. I’ve seen cracked forcing cones that only had several hundred rounds fired through them
    The problem goes away, for the most part, when heavier 158gr bullets are used

If you will check out Bill Jordan’s involvement with S&W, you will find he never intended for the Model 19 to used exclusively with 357mag loads. Bill Jordan was more practical and didn’t see any need to practice with magnum loads.

Something a bit interesting
    Stainless steel K frames(model 65 and 66) didn’t have the forcing cone problem near as much the blued steel models. Heat would leech out the carbon and weaken the steel. Stainless didn’t have that problem

You asked about engineering(dash numbers) changes of the Model 19

19-4(1977) Gas ring moved from yoke to cylinder. This prevented cylinder binding that occasionally happened

19-5(1982) Eliminate cylinder counter bore and pinned barrel

19-6(1988) New yoke retention system/radius stud package/floating hand/hammer nose bushing

19-7(1994-1997) Change extractor

Smith and Wesson ran out of pinned barrels years ago, so the -6 and -7 will have the upgrades without barrel replacement problems

The Model 581(1980), 586(1981) and 686(1980) L frames were developed to cure the forcing cone problem of the Model 19

The Model 19 was discontinued in 1999

I surprised most on this forum didn’t know about all of this. It’s been known long before the internet by revolver shooters

The Model 19 or its stainless counter part the Model 66 is still one of the best work revolvers ever made
    If you insist on a steady diet of 357 mag loads the L frame is the way to go

The Model 66 was discontinued in 2005

Do a search on cracked forcing cone
    http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/08/smith-wesson-model-19-4-nickel.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Butch_MagnumLoads.htm

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Thank you Jimmy B

Guess it's CROW TIME!!! ;)

Dadsnewest046.jpg

kpm1234

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Lafayette
    In light of all this terrible information, I would suggest that all those inferior -3 and earlier S&W .357s be sent to me for proper disposal.:mamoru:

Tadpole

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    If you are going to carry it all day, take the Model 19, even the 686 is rather heavy and the model 28 will make your cheeks drag.
    There is lots of good ammo out there without having to use the dreaded 125gn blaster. I own all three and enjoy them, but for carrying...it's the 19

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom