WTB Weatherby Action or Gun...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    DZ, very good points however i enjoy the safety of a weatherby action with 9 locking lugs as well as the low 52 degree bolt angle, it allows me to use scopes lower to the barrel and still get the bolt open. Its just a preference i guess, I dont want to pull my 30-378 apart and just rebarrel it. The weatherby action is simply stronger for wildcatting from what i have seen and read specs wise.

As for making the 280-378, the high BC of a .280 round, with the ability to push it over 4000fps, would make it the flattest shooting, lowest drifting round ever put into a gun under 12lbs. with a drop of only 140" vs the drop of 335" using a .338 L , the 338 L has 4700ft lb of energy @ the muzzle, the 280-378 will have 6100 ft lbs. @1000yrds the 280-378 will be doing 2 times the speed of sound and have 1900 ft lbs of energy, the .338L does a little over Half the speed and 1200ft lbs of energy at the same distance. 280-378 will drift 40" w/10mph cross, the .338 drifts 77". All in all the comparison between the 2 is not even close. The .338L is a smaller case, with 20gr less capacity.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    To each his own. If there were a Remington action sitting on the table next to a Weatherby action and the gunsmith said that he would build a rifle for me with either action for the same total price, I would pick the Remington. I am not what one would call a real fan of Weatherbys.

By the way, I see all of your comparisons up there, but I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I meant neck down the .338 L to 7mm. Yes it has less case capacity, but you reach a point of diminishing returns. i.e. every grain of additional powder does not gain as much as it should (I guess that you could use a 40" barrel and burn most of it). The 7mm-.338 L would have around twice the capacity of a 7mm Rem. Mag. which is a somewhat overbore cartridge in its own right.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Dan,

good points, ill look into it, but you know me, weatherby guy that i am, i just cant seem to get away from them, just like the cartidges.

... now a remington action over a mark v? thats just rediculous,lol. Did you know that if you max load powder into any weatherby cartidge and fire it the bolt will hold? Try that with a remington, not saying id do it, but mistakes occur, at least ill keep my head.

Dan, no doubt you know your stuff, and you are problably right about using a 338, but i ran the numbers on both and still come up short with the .338. so weatherby it is. As long as i keep the barrel over 34" i should have no problems.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    ... now a remington action over a mark v? thats just rediculous,lol. Did you know that if you max load powder into any weatherby cartidge and fire it the bolt will hold? Try that with a remington, not saying id do it, but mistakes occur, at least ill keep my head.

You should understand that I am dead serious about picking the Remington over the Mark V. Like I said, to each his own. There are a slew of custom actions out there that I would pick over the Remington if price were equal. Interesting to note, most of those are "improved" versios of the Remington 700. But, you can believe that the Mark V would be near the bottom of my list with one exception. The exception would be if I wanted to use the .460 cartridge as a parent case and I could not find another action that would fit it without significant modification.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Well i had a 700 action on a 25-06 that exploded and one of the lugs actually came thru the action and darn near killed me, thats from overloading by only 6gr of varget. Sure the 700 is a cheaper alternative, but i just dont see where they are even in the same class as a mark V action.

As i said im sure you know what you are saying, and have no doubt the 700 action would suffice, im just a weatherby guy. The mark V action has an Integral Recoil Lug, that alone makes it a stronger action and much safer. The bolt is ported to allow for gas exhaust in case of overloads, and it has 9 locking lugs in a 360 degree radius as opposed to the 700's 2 lugs. Im sure there is a pressure comparison test on the 2 actions that would determine which is the stonger action, im quite certain its the Mark V.

Yes im a Weatherby Bitch,lol.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    That is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

I find your blow up story difficult to believe. My 200 gr .300 Jarrett load is very hot (3150 fps). It is 78 gr of RL22. One day, I noticed my bolt sticking and hard to lift (it would if you forced it). When I got home I took a round apart and found out I had loaded 88 gr of RL22. Who know what the pressures were, but the action took it in stride.

I will admit that I don't like the Mark V action, but I am not alone. If you look at what custom rifle builders are using - good ones with national reputations - you will find that most use Remington 700 or its custom made clones. There is a reason. Besides, most people do not dangerously overload their ammunition. Doing so increases your chances that you will have a bad day.

Dan

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Dan,

I did some checking, heres what i have found...

The Mark V action can handle 200,000 CUP, 3 times more than the Remington 700.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    So? You shouldn't be loading beyond around 55,000 cup. The brass can't handle the pressure. Having a 200,000 cup capable action would be pretty much overkill. Besides, if the only measure of an action's quality was its ability to withstand pressure, the Japanese Arisaka would be near the top of the heap. Who would want to build a rifle on that?

You have an opinion that I don't happen to share. No biggie.

Dan

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    When it comes to stout actions I'd have to go with the Surgeon. Put it in a decent stock with a Bartlien or Kreiger barrel plus smith fees to machine it all up and you shouldn't be out much more than $2000-$2500.

4000fps sounds impressive, but it's got to be hell spending $500 every 500 shots to rebarrel!! Even the 338LM guys are getting 1500-2000 shots of accuracy out of them.

LongRange

Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    Ritten,

I hunt, i dont do alot of ammo buring range days. so 500 rounds would be fine, but then again, id say more like 1000 rounds from a good cryo barrel.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom