XP100 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kw4570gov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2009
    I have a Remington XP100 chambered in 7MM Bench Rest. I would like to have it re-chambered to 7MM-08. Is this as simple as re cutting the chamber with a 7MM-08 reamer and not have to make any other modifications.

Thanks
    Kent

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    There is a very real possibility that you will not be successful with a simple rechamber from 7BR to 7-08. The 7BR cartridge is a slightly "Improved" case and the case body diameter at the shoulder can be slightly larger in diameter at that point as compared to a 7-08 case. A chamber reamer for 7-08 may not clean up the chamber. A 7BR case is about 1.08" long from bolt face to the point of the shoulder. The diameter there on a fired case I have is .461" On a fired case from a 7-08 measured 1.08" up from the bolt face the diameter is .457", a difference of .004". You may be able to clean up the chamber if you go to 7-08 Improved but I don't have the specs for that.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Like highstandard40 said, we'd have to compare the chamber configurations between the two. However, I'm pretty sure that the chamber Remington cut for your barrel (if it's a factory barrel) is going to be slightly oversize or out of shape compared to a PTG reamer. They're usually on the bigger side of the tolerance window. Depending on how much the barrel would have to be set back the contour may or may not allow for a full new tennon and rechamber. You would be MUCH better off just springing for an aftermarket barrel if you're going to spend the money on a rechamber.

Top Bottom