Yet Another CCW Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    Will any of these stop me from getting my CCW

Felony arrest but charges were dropped and never went to court (Non Violent)

Simple Battery

Public Intox

Simple Theft (No Im not a thief -- guy owed me money and wouldnt pay me so I went and took it)

Yes I was a numbskull when I was younger LOL

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    from the law book

(9) Not have entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to or been found guilty of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2 at the misdemeanor level, unless five years have elapsed since completion of sentence or any other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled, or unless the conviction was set aside and the prosecution dismissed, prior to the date on which the application is submitted.
    (10) Not have been convicted of, have entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to, or not be charged under indictment or a bill of information for any crime of violence or any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or greater. A conviction, plea of guilty, or plea of nolo contendere under this Paragraph shall include a dismissal and conviction set-aside under the provisions of Code of Criminal Procedure Article 893.
    (16) Not have a history of engaging in violent behavior. There shall be a rebuttable presumption that an applicant has a history of engaging in violent behavior upon proof that, within a ten-year period immediately preceding the date of the application, the applicant has been arrested or charged on three or more occasions for any crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), or has been arrested or charged on two or more occasions for any crime of violence that may be punished by death.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Even if it was a misdemeanor and I was just ticketed for it and not taken to jail?

Anybody know where I can get a copy of my "Rap" sheet to see what all is on there?

"Ticketed" for battery was probably a misdemeanor summons and constitutes and arrest for most applications. It actually says summons for arrest on most of them at the top.

So, yes, it would be listed as an arrest.

Depending on the time frame, you may be OK.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    You may need to contact the Parish where it happened and get a copy of the final disposition of charges.

See the other thread.. Make a phone call to the office...

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    "Ticketed" for battery was probably a misdemeanor summons and constitutes and arrest for most applications. It actually says summons for arrest on most of them at the top.

So, yes, it would be listed as an arrest.

Depending on the time frame, you may be OK.

I agree, but I bet it will be on your name when LSP checks you out.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I agree, but I bet it will be on your name when LSP checks you out.

True, but I think they have a sliding scale that they use to determine if they will approve. For example, if you had a DWI and it was over 5 years, you may be OK,but if you had a battery three weeks ago, your not. Other than the statement about DUI's in the rulebook, there is not a lot of printed information about how specific charges and timeframes affect your application.

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    Thanks alot for all your answers. Im going to try to get my arrest record and see what is on it before I go take the class or anything.

L

Louisiana Shooter

A simple battery conviction can mean a lifetime prohibition on all firearms and ammunition possession. If the person you were convicted of battery upon was a close relative, intimate partner, or someone you lived with then it probably does.

By the way, stealing money from someone who owes you money is still stealing.

L

Louisiana Shooter

Forgot to add: Most Sheriff's office will run you through NICS if you show up in person and pay a $10 fee.

Top Bottom