your favorie high capacity full size 45

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    Hey all,

Just looking for some ideas on high capacity full size 45acp handguns. I will be swapping my 9s out into 45 caliber. I am not worried about size, i just want a good number of bullets in an accurate shooting package.

I know there is a 20rd mag for a g30, which means i may pick up a g30.
    Someone said para 45 holds 16. So thats another on my list.

What else should i be keeping an eye out for?

Last edited:

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    XDm is a good choice and would be my choice for a polymer gun. The Para is good too (it holds 14, the .40 holds 16 & the 9 holds 18).

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    As said above, FN makes a nice .45 with a very high cap mag. It feels good and if it fails to fire by any chance, you can beat someone with it because it weighs as much as a brick fully loaded. Kidding aside its a great gun.

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    Oh, thats right, its the g21 that has the 20 and 30 round mags. Definitelly sounds like a winner to me.

I definitely hope i never need that many rounds in a 45 at one time. But god forbid i do, i want to have them.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The FN 45 tactical is a pretty sweet pistol. It's ready for a red dot out of the box. With a red dot you won't find an easier to shoot accurately pistol. I had to sell mine but will buy another.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    M&P 45 FS with Taylor Freelance basepads. 13+1 reloadable, with tuned followers and/or tubes. (20 minutes with a flat file on the followers, or 30 seconds if you have a drill press on the tubes.) I've run mine through two classes and a dozen 500-1k practice sessions and never had a single issue out of them. The extended factory mags are meh, but the TF pads rock-- and are very well built. On top of everything else, Robin is a great guy and runs a solid business; I got mine from Brownell's and they didn't come with the springs... so he overnighted them to me and corrected all of the inventory at said company within the week.

Unless they've fixed the trigger hinge pin on the FNH/FNP's, I'd skip them. Of the three I've been exposed two (one of which is mine), two of them have wound up with dead triggers from it-- and the third only has like 500 rounds through it. It's hit-or-miss as to whether or not tapping the pin back in with a punch will fix it for another 2k rounds, or 200. But it's not a risk I'm personally willing to take on a pistol that may someday be called upon to keep me alive...

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    No, the intent is to keep one in the house and one in the car. For carry i have a g36, if i decided to actually carry.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I liked my father's Glock 21 almost as much as the H&K socom I bought about 20 years ago(?)
    But the sweetest shooter I've fired was a buddy's EAA witness. It was an early model from the 90's, a little different than the new ones. Held 13 rounds if I remember right. Decocker similar to the full size berettas. Probably just a personal preference, but it was a dream to shoot.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Unless they've fixed the trigger hinge pin on the FNH/FNP's, I'd skip them. Of the three I've been exposed two (one of which is mine), two of them have wound up with dead triggers from it-- and the third only has like 500 rounds through it. It's hit-or-miss as to whether or not tapping the pin back in with a punch will fix it for another 2k rounds, or 200. But it's not a risk I'm personally willing to take on a pistol that may someday be called upon to keep me alive...

I was going to suggest the FNP45 as well. I haven't got to shoot mine yet, but I bought one right before coming back to the 'stan and loved the feel and the controls, etc.. Do all FNP45's have this issue you speak of?

My original High cap .45ACP was just buying the 10 round extended mags that gave me 10+1 in my 1911... Can't remember who makes them. Bought them in the Las Vegas Gun Store on vacation and they work perfect. If it's home defense, you can get those ridiculously high cap 1911 magazines like FPS russia uses in a couple of vids. lol (I prefer Shotguns and 40 round magazine AK's for Home Defense, myself...)

-Neal

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I was going to suggest the FNP45 as well. I haven't got to shoot mine yet, but I bought one right before coming back to the 'stan and loved the feel and the controls, etc.. Do all FNP45's have this issue you speak of?

My original High cap .45ACP was just buying the 10 round extended mags that gave me 10+1 in my 1911... Can't remember who makes them. Bought them in the Las Vegas Gun Store on vacation and they work perfect. If it's home defense, you can get those ridiculously high cap 1911 magazines like FPS russia uses in a couple of vids. lol (I prefer Shotguns and 40 round magazine AK's for Home Defense, myself...)

-Neal

It's not 100% sweeping, but it's common-- at least in the production runs that account for mine (and all of those prior). I believe mine is... 2 years old?

I found the issue on a forum somewhere, and immediately rushed to my pistol to have a look. It had eaten about 600 rounds at that point, and the pin was visibly walking. I drifted it back into place and decided to keep an eye on it.

I gave it a 1k work out across the next couple of weeks, and it walked again. I decided to leave it until it became an issue, just as a test. About 300 rounds into the next session, the trigger wouldn't depress and drop the hammer; the pin had walked out so far as to impinge on the frame.

I tapped it back and started looking for a fix. There was none, but horror stories abounded about trying to get FN to take care of it. Looooong waits, the wrong parts being sent out, etc. I thought of staking the pin, but there's basically no material there to work with-- and some of it is plastic anyway. Someone considered Loctite, much like you'd use on press-fit sights that were a little loose, but found that it was ineffective-- no matter what type they used. (Guy even tried the green...)

Then someone mentioned that they had drifted it 2 or 3 times and it suddenly stopped moving. So I kept on shooting, drifting; shooting, drifting. In the meantime, a friend brought his out for a couple of days of training and within 1k rounds (it was brand new), his gun locked up. I drifted mine once in that time frame as well.

He reports one more instance of drift, and then it just stopped moving for him as well. That was 5k rounds ago, way back in May-- so it's probably more by now. I haven't shot mine much since then, but it still hasn't made it past 1500 before it was dangerously close to locking up. It's gotten that far out in as little as 300 rounds t'boot.

For several reasons, I switched to the aforementioned M&P with TF basepads for the role the FN was supposed to fill and haven't thought about the gun since then. For all I know, there might be a fix out there-- DIY or from the factory. Something worth investigating if you plan on running the thing hard for extended periods.

Top Bottom