Your firearm pet peeves? With bonus picture inside

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Some people freak out when muzzle swept with a firearm that's locked open with no mag. I understand firearm safety, but DAMN, when you ghasp and jump back 3 feet, you're putting more people in danger than the unloaded firearm is...

Nothing really bothers me though. When I do go shooting, it is always with someone that I would trust my life with (and is very well versed with firearms). What I tell my shooting partners - If your booger hook ain't on the bang switch, I don't care where the hell you point it. If you happen to "slip" and shoot me, I WILL shoot back...

Just my .02....

-Dave

Or fall dead.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Anyone violating the basic three gun safety rules REALLY ticks me off!!!

When I was at Sherburne on Good Friday, I casually glanced down to the other end of the firing line and was staring down the barrel of a .22 rifle that some little kid (5-years-old or so) was holding. I was about to say something when he put it down, but his daddy never even saw it happen. :mad:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    OH REALLY... Please elaborate on how this is physically possible :rolleyes:

It's like trying to tell a cop "I wasn't trying to speed, the gas pedal was just pushing itself!!" (insert Toyota Prius joke :D)

This is just silly! Everyone knows a Prius isn't able to break the speed limit! :rofl:

People who think they're above following simple safety rules... :rolleyes:

Again... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    OH REALLY... Please elaborate on how this is physically possible :rolleyes:

Some Japanese Nambu pistols made during WW2 had an exposed sear, and if it was touched.........most honorable *BANG* san....:D

Seriously, I think he's just saying he doesn't like a muzzle pointed his way....Can't say I blame him. :)

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Anyone violating the basic three gun safety rules REALLY ticks me off!!!

When I was at Sherburne on Good Friday, I casually glanced down to the other end of the firing line and was staring down the barrel of a .22 rifle that some little kid (5-years-old or so) was holding. I was about to say something when he put it down, but his daddy never even saw it happen. :mad:

I remember the first time biggin came to Sherburne. I was telling him how I haven't ever been flagged on the range, or had anyone pointing guns downrange and/or messing with rifles while the line was cold. That day he met me at the range we both got a loaded lever gun pointed at us by some hunter who wouldn't listen to "GOING COLD!" and wasn't wearing ear-pro.

One pet peave I have is people that bring kids to the range WITHOUT EAR PRO for them. Holy crap you piece of failure parents... some people bring freakin' .50BMG rifles to that range. Then there's people with crazy muzzle devices that make their rifles pop LOUD! I carry extra packs of ear plugs in my bag even though I have electronic ear pro... just for kids like that. I've handed out ear pro dozens of times, glaring at the "parent" the whole time.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Geniuses who get a minimum wage job in a gun shop and then think and act as though they are a combo Col. Askins, Robert Ruark, Massad Ayoub, & John Browning re-incarnate.

They offer stupid, unrequested "advice" on all things firearm and expect the customer to be "wow' ed".

Then, they want to argue about some arcane detail.

That's my "pet peeve".

leVieux

Sorry, I forgot Jack O'Connor & Grits Gresham, too.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Trigger discipline.
    Magazines are not clips.
    I pronounce it "carbeen", deal with it!
    People not checking if the firearm has a round in the chamber, then waving it everywhere.
    If you have checked it and it's clear, feel free to wave it around.
    Anti-Gun people saying firearms are evil. I'm not all for homosexuality, but you don't see me saying I hate gays.
    People that want a certain firearm because it was in a movie and that's why it's the best gun ever.
    Fanboys, especially you Glock people. I like Glocks, but damn... you people are nuts.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Trigger discipline.
    Magazines are not clips.
    I pronounce it "carbeen", deal with it!
    People not checking if the firearm has a round in the chamber, then waving it everywhere.
    If you have checked it and it's clear, feel free to wave it around.
    Anti-Gun people saying firearms are evil. I'm not all for homosexuality, but you don't see me saying I hate gays.
    People that want a certain firearm because it was in a movie and that's why it's the best gun ever.
    Fanboys, especially you Glock people. I like Glocks, but damn... you people are nuts.

You Glock people?
    hmmm9uh.gif

Now, don't you think that's a little insensitive?

:chuckles:

Last edited:

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If heard this one debated endlessly whether or not it does any damage. I guess your on the side that it does.

Whether it does damage or not is really irrelevant...it might as well be finger nails on a chalk board to me. Mall ninjas who have watched Commando one too many times who just love to hear the sound it makes

/shudder

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    In being picked up for examination by me, Mr. Anal-retentive-gunshow-table-operator-guy, the rifle you have for sale laying flat upon the table with it's bolt clearly open with no magazine present and bright orange zip ties securing the action will in some way, shape, or form "sweep" someone present among the huge Saturday crowd. Every one of them is laying there sweeping you as you walk around behind the table, dumbass. Unless you are going to rack your wares vertically and provide table-top space for me to lay on my back and point straight up at the ceiling, stifle your douchebaggery. Then again, falling imaginary bullets impossibly fired from action-restricted firearms might theoretically kill you, too. It's a gun show, not a scene from "The Terminator." Get over yourself and your Zen-master discipline. I could understand if you turned around and I was using you as an aiming reference, smiling big and telling my buddy "I got him cold!", but if I'm just in the act of shouldering the rifle and raising the muzzle to sight on a reference point on the opposite wall, no cheek weld, finger outside the trigger guard, and above-noted precautions emplaced by you still present and not interfered with, SHUT THE FU@K UP and let me fingerbang your product in peace!

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    In my time working gun shows/gun store, I always thought it was funny how you are trained not to sweep the customer when you take the gun out of the case, but while lying in the case, all the guns are pointed right at the customer's crotch.

That being said, I always check the chamber of any gun I hand to anyone, even if I know it was unloaded when I put it back in the case 5 minutes ago. Even though I haven't worked in a gun shop/gun show for some years now, I still check the chamber of any gun I hand to everyone, even showing a friend my own personal gun that I know is unloaded, just in case, and also so that they know I'm not handing them a loaded gun.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    I was mainly referring to handguns, but this is where faulty equipment comes into play. Buy a Lorcin and toss it on the ground - I can guarantee that it will go off. Try doing it with a Glock...

If you've got a gun that just "goes off", and you still chose to take it shooting, you pretty much get what you deserve...

As far as the shotty going off that was it's last day i used it.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Leadslugga;739230That being said said:
    always[/I] check the chamber of any gun I hand to anyone, even if I know it was unloaded when I put it back in the case 5 minutes ago. Even though I haven't worked in a gun shop/gun show for some years now, I still check the chamber of any gun I hand to everyone, even showing a friend my own personal gun that I know is unloaded, just in case, and also so that they know I'm not handing them a loaded gun.

+1

Except for specific situations... I believe you should always check a gun before you hand it to someone, and handing it to them with the action open is just another step towards safety as it allows everyone to be sure that the firearm is unloaded.

But... I don't care how many times you've checked a gun to make sure it's unloaded, ALWAYS treat it like it's loaded. I don't like having any muzzle pointed in my direction.

You can never be too careful...

Top Bottom