Your ideal combat pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cguedr

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Jefferson
    Curious as to what you guys believe to be the ideal combat pistol; the handgun that you feel gives you the best combination of reliability (arguably the most important), accuracy, capacity, ease of maintenance, etc. This isn't a "if you were a soldier" question in which you were limited to FMJ ammunition, so you shouldn't base your decision on that.

I'm more curious to see what sorts of things people are willing to compromise, ie: perhaps the gun is not as fun/comfortable to shoot as others, or perhaps it's not one of the firearms we tend to here about all the time. I'm also curious as to what people think of polymer vs. steel vs. aluminum given the possible adverse environmental conditions a gun may experience.

Anyway, opinions welcomed.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Much as I love my single actions:
    Glocks take less care for great reliability.
    I can hit a man's chest at 100 yards
    I carry the Glock 19 with 16 rounds on tap, and there are 17 round mags and I keep a 33 rounder near the drivers seat of the truck.
    Maintenance: I wipe off the old grease and put more on. Parts to keep it going all my life should be less than $70

Model: 19 or 23, with a tac light and night sites.

Glocks are not 'fun' and have no soul... but they work.

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Glock 19, robust, can be dirty and still work (like a hooker), medium size (not too big and not too small). Like nomad said, I wipe off the old grease and put more on. There is no need to clean it, sights are easy to get use to, it shoots, no extra levers, no safeties. Just aim and pull the trigger.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    SA 1911. Its reliable and accurate. Plus I have confidence in the round...

OTOH, no pistol is really good for combat. Better a real rifle round.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Glock 19 (3rd gen). I've never felt more confident with any other handgun. Perfect size. No BS safeties. Absolute reliability. Proven track record.

It's not surprising Glocks are the best combat handguns, it's what they were designed to do.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    CZ75 SP01
    Slight modification to the follower & it's a 20+1 9mm. Unlike striker fired pistols, it gives you a second strike capability. It's reliable, well made, & hard to wear out.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Krink

bz023.jpg

BAM!!!!! BAM!!!!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    For combat Id choose a Glock 17. Its the most reliable of the breed, holds a lot of magic beans, and is a proven commodity.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Almost certainly a G17. Although with ball only, the M&P 45 I have is vetted enough for my tastes.

If I ever get around to abusing this FNP 45, it might take the lead. Just not sure of its reliability as of yet. Shoots really well, handles really well-- 15+1 .45 is extremely appealing, as is Condition 1 carry. About the only place its size didn't disqualify it would be as a combat pistol, so I really wanna make that my answer-- but not just yet.

Top Bottom