Youth 20GA for Elderly Woman HD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I am looking for a Home Defense shotgun option for my elderly mother, she is a fairly small framed woman, in fairly good condition living alone, nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away. Over the holidays she tried handling a number of full size shotguns both 12 and 20 GA (Rem 1100, BPS, Win Model 12's, Nova, etc.) and found them all too heavy and too big, she could barely reach the slide on an antique early Model 1912 20 GA. I am therefore considering getting her a 20GA youth pump shotgun and loading it with low recoil HD rounds, one of the local gun shops has a Mossburg 510 Mini which weighs in at 5.5 pounds on sale which I am considering getting for her since it is on a smaller frame with shorter throw, not just a short stock on an adult gun. Do you have any thoughts on other models to consider? Her current HD guns are a .22 semi auto (High Standard) which she can easily shoot (not ideal I know), and a 9mm Glock 19 my newphew gave her, which she can shoot, but recoil is an issue, as well as hitting the broad side of a barn (heavier gun, harder for her to steadily point). Feel free to make alternative suggestions. I am also considering some type of light weight rifle as an option, maybe Ruger Mini-14, etc..

thanks

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    if the shotgun is to much for her maybe something like a pistol caliber carbine? i know its not as ideal as a shotgun but it would give her a better option that a 22 and the recoil should be very light and i don't think they are all that heavy. seems like a good compromise for wight/length/knockdown. just have her practice and maybe put her a light on it.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Rossi Circuit Judge Tactical

SCJT4510_011.jpg

Hi Point 995TSRD

rdLG.gif

You can also get it in .40 or .45 if she wants more power.
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_main.html

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    A .410 is a thought for consideration, but finding ammo around here is nearly impossible, going that route it is almost worth considering the Ruger .44 Carbine (old style tubular magazine) that is already in the gun case at her house, anything with a DA trigger pull is out due to lack of hand strength.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I got a 870 express youth 20ga I been thinking about parting with. I'm the only owner, got it when I was 10 years old. I've only been keeping for sentimental value but it hasn't been shot in over 15 years!!! I'll sleep on it and maybe send you a PM later and see if you're interested.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Defense Long Guns for the Aged and Infirm
    by Rich Grassi

While at the range a few days ago, a pair of gentlemen strolled up. One of them, obviously a bit older than I, was cradling a "modern self-loading defense shotgun." As one might expect, the gun had ghost ring sights - popularized on such a piece by Jeff Cooper during his study of the fowling piece as a defense weapon. It was "Parkerized," that lovely hard use finish made popular in WWII. Sling swivel studs in nylon furniture and M1913 "tactical" rails were necessarily there.

They were there for the owner of the gun, the previously described older gent, to check the gun's function. He tried dove and quail loads which turned the gun into a bolt-action shotgun. He then demonstrated that the gun worked with 3" Magnum loads - turkey loads are what he had.

I came to find out that the older gent wanted the shotgun for home defense. He had significant shoulder issues that prevent him from being able to mount the piece and forcing him to fire from an underarm "assault" position.

He knew the 3" magnums were too much; they were too much for him to handle as the gun slid out of position and had to be repositioned to fire again; they were too much for the narrow hall he'd likely be firing down; they were too much for the structure as he had neighbors next door.

Finally, they figured that express buckshot - the rounds they had were Sellier and Bellot - functioned in the gun. Still hot loads, he found he could handle them.

I gave the problem some thought. A number of my friends and I are closer to this gent's time of life than we are to high school. What would suit us? What if I couldn't rack and fire a 12 gauge?

His gun is an 8-shot, 7 ½ pounds (empty) cannon. With eight rounds of 1-ounce payload ammo, it's a bit to carry and mount. He can't lift gun high enough to mount the piece. The gun only functions with 12 gauge 3" and 2 ¾" high brass. 3" loads kick to beat hell.

What is (1) less weighty, (2) kicks less - thereby reducing split-times for hits on the same (or closely clustered) target(s), (3) and still has enough power for its mission to "repel boarders"at the homestead?

Some questions depend on your residence location. Here are a few options I could identify after just a little thought.

M1 Carbine
    At just over five pounds, the M1 carbine delivers 15 rounds from a light-kicking reasonably accurate package. The ammo situation is dicey: Cor-Bon's .30 Carbine 110 grain DPX, Remington 110 grain JSP and the Speer 110 grain Bonded Gold Dot SP are the best choices - but they are not as commonly found as 12 gauge and .223. There is new production of rifles from Auto Ordnance. I much prefer the flip safety and original adjustable sight. It's available at about the same price as some sporting AR-type rifles without the potential "military stigma" - strange as the M1 Carbine was built to replace the military pistol.

Ruger Mini 14
    Consider a six and three-quarter pound 16" Mini 14 Tactical; with the most powerful loads in 5.56, it's much easier to handle than the bird gun and carries more jelly beans. In fact, get a five-round mag and keep it installed if you choose. It'll likely be plenty. .223 Remington and 5.56 mm ammo are commonly found nearly every place. It's almost a couple of pounds more weighty than the M1 Carbine and the .223 (like the .30 Carbine) has horrendous blast indoors. The new Mini has decent sights and stock. The 20 round magazine is plenty without being "too much." This current Mini 14 is reliable and it's a great choice for those of us familiar with the Garand/M14/M1 Carbine format.

Remington Autoloading 20 gauge
    Just have to have a shotgun? Try the Model 11-87™ Sportsman® Youth Compact Synthetic 20 gauge by Remington. The 21" barrel isn't over long and the 6 ½ pounds empty weight is just right for the easily found 20 gauge ammo. Birdshot is easy on the shoulder, the gun's light enough to maneuver and mount, and heavy enough not to beat your brains out when shooting. 20 gauge buckshot and slug may not be so easy to find, but the 11-87 will serve as the close range indoor home defense gun loaded with birdshot. Four rounds in the magazine will likely solve the problem.

Revolver-Caliber Lever Gun
    This is the .357 Magnum Marlin 1894.

This is the Rossi Model 1892 Analog.
    Assuming our friend can mount a ca-6 pound lever action carbine and run the lever, there are some possibilities. First is the wonderful 1894C Marlin 38/357 Magnum, 18 1/2" barrel. It's light at 6 pounds. It's available in stainless and you could get a .44 Magnum if you want to hunt and expect to run into decent size game. On top of it's handiness, accuracy and fun factor, it's suitable for pests at the farm or ranch. This model has a 9-shot magazine.

In the alternative, Rossi makes its 1892 analog the R92 16" barrel carbine with an 8-round tubular magazine in .357 Magnum. It weighs less than five pounds and has over-size lever in case you end up out doors in the cold and having to use gloves.

It's unlikely these are all the alternatives, but the effort was a worthwhile exercise as infirmity can be visited on any of us. I hope these are some helpful answers.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    its hard to say if i don't know the person personally. i would say a mossberg .410 pump but under stress will she mess up the pumping action? i know i have done it while duck hunting. you said she has trouble with the recoil from a glock 19? my cousin's young wife could not rack the slide on my glock 19. maybe look into the s&w 15-22. i have taken it to the range and shot 1,000 rounds of federal bulk with 0 malfunctions. im thinking she might be best off with the 15-22 and 25(?) rounds of the hot cci stuff. 0 recoil and less flash in the dark. another advantage is the 15-22 is compact and light. anyone can handle it. im thinking of this for my grand mother.

i don't have much experience with 20 ga. but my friend bought his son a remington 20 ga. pump and it KICKS LIKE A MULE!

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    some birdshot, can't remember if it was low or high brass.

i think the s&w 15-22 is the answer here. with a ruger lcr 22 for backup. these are firearms most women...... well everyone will enjoy shooting and get lots of practice with. but i will say the ruger lcr 22 should have a .22 mag cylinder.

Specks123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Prairieville,LA
    youth shotgun

I got a 870 express youth 20ga I been thinking about parting with. I'm the only owner, got it when I was 10 years old. I've only been keeping for sentimental value but it hasn't been shot in over 15 years!!! I'll sleep on it and maybe send you a PM later and see if you're interested.

Good morning,

I came across your comments and I am looking to trade fro a youth model 20 ga. for my son to Turkey hunt with. I have a full size 20 ga. H&R that I can trade you and work out a little cash if need be.

LMK soon as I need one to sight in for youth day, I always wait til last minute....

Text me @ 225-270-1659

dlbott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    deridder, Louisiana

I would suggest 410 pistol. In essence it is a short barreled, double, that has a short easy to hold hand grip. This gun I had when I was young maybe hard to find now but it is perfect. It is light and very easy to handle. Just point and shoot and with the right ammo is the only thing she will need and can also shoot the many garments around here.

It would be perfect for her and no need to worry about hitting the target with the right ammo. Point and if it is in front of her and within fifteen to twenty feet it is dead.

The only gun she really needs for close home protection.

The bot

I am looking for a Home Defense shotgun option for my elderly mother, she is a fairly small framed woman, in fairly good condition living alone, nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away. Over the holidays she tried handling a number of full size shotguns both 12 and 20 GA (Rem 1100, BPS, Win Model 12's, Nova, etc.) and found them all too heavy and too big, she could barely reach the slide on an antique early Model 1912 20 GA. I am therefore considering getting her a 20GA youth pump shotgun and loading it with low recoil HD rounds, one of the local gun shops has a Mossburg 510 Mini which weighs in at 5.5 pounds on sale which I am considering getting for her since it is on a smaller frame with shorter throw, not just a short stock on an adult gun. Do you have any thoughts on other models to consider? Her current HD guns are a .22 semi auto (High Standard) which she can easily shoot (not ideal I know), and a 9mm Glock 19 my newphew gave her, which she can shoot, but recoil is an issue, as well as hitting the broad side of a barn (heavier gun, harder for her to steadily point). Feel free to make alternative suggestions. I am also considering some type of light weight rifle as an option, maybe Ruger Mini-14, etc..

thanks

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Mossberg SA-20 Bantam

I bought one of these for my 11 yr old daughter, she and I love it, light soft shooting reliable with birdshot. Functionally it appears to be a Turkish copy of the Beretta gas system. I paid 375$ at Academy.

timthumbphp_zpsebd4196c.png

Gauge 20
    Chamber Size 3"
    Capacity 5
    Barrel 24" Vent Rib
    Sights Front Bead
    Chokes Sport Set (5 Total)
    Overall Length 43.5"
    Length Of Pull 13"
    Barrel Finish Matte Blue
    Stock Synthetic (Black)
    Weight 5.5 lb