First Hog Hunt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I am all for taking them out, they play hell with any food plot or farm; I just hate to see the meat wasted. Alligator farm is a good idea, what about donating the meat or giving it away? Field dress that sucker and call a few friends or just post free on this site and watch it disappear. Call me and I will be by.With the prices at the grocery I would think a lot of people would be appreciative.
    And last, nice hunt and good shooting, wish I was there.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well let's ask....

Craig, how many hogs do you kill each trip roughly and how many are left to waste?
    If its easier to say how many are cleaned and processed we can do the simple math.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The best advice I can give to the hog haters is you had best just go ahead and learn to embrace your inner hog- 'cause they aren't going anywhere. :dogkeke:

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Well let's ask....

Craig, how many hogs do you kill each trip roughly and how many are left to waste?
    If its easier to say how many are cleaned and processed we can do the simple math.

First, I started this thread to show what a great time I had on my first hog hunt. It was NOT to debate whether it's ethical/unethical to kill a hog and waste the meat.

I go hog hunting to help my friend out that's a farmer. He farms, that's how he supports his family, along with employing a lot of workers. The hogs destroy his land and crops, which cost him a lot of money.

His livelihood is way more important to me than everybody's opinion. So frankly, I don't know how many we have killed, and I don't care if they go to waste. Buzzards gotta eat too.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I've always said, during my first of the month ritual of rubbing bacon on the tips of my 5.56 prior to mission that we would have had more success releasing herds of wild Louisiana hogs in Iraq and Afghanistan...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I've always said, during my first of the month ritual of rubbing bacon on the tips of my 5.56 prior to mission that we would have had more success releasing herds of wild Louisiana hogs in Iraq and Afghanistan...

:D You might have something there- and I bet they'd adapt in no time!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I am all for taking them out, they play hell with any food plot or farm; I just hate to see the meat wasted. Alligator farm is a good idea, what about donating the meat or giving it away? Field dress that sucker and call a few friends or just post free on this site and watch it disappear. Call me and I will be by.With the prices at the grocery I would think a lot of people would be appreciative.

Since they may be hunting with an agricultural permit, they may be required to let lay any and all pests they shoot. Thus it would be illegal for them to harvest any of the animal. This is not up for dabate. Its the rules per the Wildlife and Fisheries. If you have issue, I suggest taking it up with them.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

I don't think that is as easy as leaving them there......

I sent this "man" an apology via PM and after I got nothing back I posted it here as well just in case his messages were full. Nothing.

My complete and full opinion about him is now something I should probably keep to myself.

Something I didn't make clear when I had first posted is eradication is something we all know is needed.
    Now that the obvious is out of the way.....
    When up in a helicopter or other high paced method it's something to be understood as scooping down to get one isn't really what you do, I have done this before but guess what almost always the local ranchers will ride out to fetch a few.
    Shooting a couple a night laying your gear down next to it for a "cool" picture and them leaving it there is another. You have the ability to take in a few.

I may not have as many pics as him though, I normally spend more of my time skinning and quartering than snapping pictures..... Eradicating hogs is something I am pretty familiar with, as well as being a sportsman in general.

Your friend's livelihood does depend on it sure, that is not where the ethical question is based. Kill them we don't care. Wasting all of them is just down right stupid and pathetic in the way you are doing it.

My opinion isn't on you killing them for him to rid his land, but of you wasting the resources you have after killing them for no good reason, that you have actually posted here anyway.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not a "man" now because I didn't respond to your PM? Maybe I don't respond, as you called yourself that morning, an *******.

And once again, I don't care about your opinion or what you think of me or my friend.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I don't think that is as easy as leaving them there......

I sent this "man" an apology via PM and after I got nothing back I posted it here as well just in case his messages were full. Nothing.

My complete and full opinion about him is now something I should probably keep to myself.

Something I didn't make clear when I had first posted is eradication is something we all know is needed.
    Now that the obvious is out of the way.....
    When up in a helicopter or other high paced method it's something to be understood as scooping down to get one isn't really what you do, I have done this before but guess what almost always the local ranchers will ride out to fetch a few.
    Shooting a couple a night laying your gear down next to it for a "cool" picture and them leaving it there is another. You have the ability to take in a few.

I may not have as many pics as him though, I normally spend more of my time skinning and quartering than snapping pictures..... Eradicating hogs is something I am pretty familiar with, as well as being a sportsman in general.

Your friend's livelihood does depend on it sure, that is not where the ethical question is based. Kill them we don't care. Wasting all of them is just down right stupid and pathetic in the way you are doing it.

My opinion isn't on you killing them for him to rid his land, but of you wasting the resources you have after killing them for no good reason, that you have actually posted here anyway.

So let me make sure I'm getting this right, your apology was not sincere, your "outrage" about killing and leaving some of the hogs was also insincere, since you admit to having done it yourself.

So what is your real issue here?
    Is it just an issue with tikanni, or a double standard against anyone other than you?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Damn this thread....now I'm hungry for some fried hog backstrap. :curse:

Saturday at the camp.....done deal. :rockon:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    So let me make sure I'm getting this right, your apology was not sincere, your "outrage" about killing and leaving some of the hogs was also insincere, since you admit to having done it yourself.

So what is your real issue here?
    Is it just an issue with tikanni, or a double standard against anyone other than you?

My apology was sincere.... Hence the effort I put into making sure he got it. My problem was that he ignored the friendly gesture.

I admit to having hunted hogs yes, I admit to being involved in eradication methods yes. I did not admit to wasting their resources once killed when possible to obtain the animal. I stated that even when I couldn't get to them (while In a helicopter) that the local ranchers did get them. I also clarified sometimes you have too depending on the method you are using. I cannot make the land owner and the pilot stop to get them and I am still doing what needs to be done. The problem here is he has access to the hogs after he shoots them, obviously.

I did not have an issue with Craig at all... Before this thread. I just don't agree with what he is doing with the hog after he shoots them. I do not hold a double standard.. Lol.
    Anyone who knows me and can look at my hunting posts all on here can see that. I hold one standard. It it the same standard all sportsman hold across this state.

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I hold one standard. It it the same standard all sportsman hold across this state.

I think 99% of hunters in the United States have an ethical hunting standard. Do you know what rules he is held to during these hunts by the local permit issued?

I know where you’re coming from as a sportsman. I just don't think the way your expressing it on here is coming across the way it's intended.

Top Bottom