Lawmakers aim to curb military surplus program for police after Ferguson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Are they kidding me!!?? Yeah, it sounds like a great idea to make the police LESS equipped to handle the changing climate in our country. Here is your DERP trophy!

BEFORE you who believe that local LEO should NOT have this ability, jump all over me, think about how it would play out without the needed equipment. Riots, looting, beatings, and killings. All b/ they don't want to hurt some ones sensitivity!? I'm sorry but my family and community’s security trumps your sensitive feelings! I'm sure business owners in riot areas would agree!

So what’s to keep the state and federal government from over reaching its authority and using strong-arm tactics? By becoming more active in voting and holding government officials responsible. We need to look at the big picture and become more involved in like minded organizations. It all starts from the bottm up. If our top officials are not doing their jobs, they need to get voted out!

I whole heartedly believe the quote by Robert A. Heinlein, *An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.*

These are my opinions and thoughts. Should you disagree, please feel free to express your thoughts in a civilized manner. Its one of the great benefits to living in our country. If you feel the need to get belligerent, I suggest you turn off your computer, get off you couch, put down the potato chips and go outside and experience human interaction.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/15/lawmakers-aim-to-curb-military-surplus-program-for-police-after-ferguson/

The startling scenes this week of heavily armed police clashing with protesters in a St. Louis suburb have galvanized a bipartisan push in Washington to challenge a controversial Pentagon program that gives away free military gear to local law enforcement.

Concerns about the so-called *militarization* of local police have been simmering for some time. But the clashes in Ferguson, Mo., over the death of an unarmed black teenager illustrated precisely what lawmakers have been worried about – police using a *military response* to subdue civilian riots and protests, and potentially escalating the situation in the process.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., warned in an op-ed that the scenes from Ferguson – which has since settled somewhat after state Highway Patrol took over security – resembled *war more than traditional police action.*

The concerns over heavily armed police have brought together a complex cross-section of libertarian Republicans and liberal Democrats in the same way as recent controversies over drones and National Security Agency snooping.

On the Democratic side, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., said he plans to introduce legislation when Congress returns in September to curb this type of gear build-up for local police forces.

"Our Main Streets should be a place for business, families and relaxation, not tanks and M16s," Johnson said Thursday. "Militarizing America's Main Streets won't make us any safer, just more fearful and more reticent."

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, though, defended his department's response to the at-times violent protests in an interview with Fox News on Thursday.

"During this whole thing, these several nights of riots and all the arrests that we've made and all the conflict, not a single protester has been injured," Jackson said, claiming shots had been fired at officers during the protests.

But critics say the military-style presence raises tensions. Local police have been snatching up this equipment from the Defense Department under a 1990s-era program that transfers excess property to state and local law enforcement without charge. It’s a way for the military to put unneeded equipment to use without having to destroy it in the field.

Not all the equipment is war-style gear. The program transfers everything from copiers to fax machines to filing cabinets.

But it also transfers M-16s and heavy-duty tactical vehicles – two of those, both Humvees, ended up in the hands of the Ferguson Police Department.

According to the Defense Department, a total of 8,000 agencies at all levels of government participate in the so-called 1033 program. Since its start in 1997, the program has transferred more than $4.3 billion in equipment to these agencies. Last year, nearly $450 million worth was transferred.

Asked about the program on Thursday, Pentagon spokesman Read Adm. John Kirby called it a *useful program that allows for the re-use of military equipment that otherwise would be disposed of that can be used, again, by law enforcement agencies to serve their citizens.*

*The program serves a purpose,* he said, adding that *it is up to law enforcement agencies to speak to how and what they gain through this system.*

Attorney General Eric Holder said he's concerned that use of military equipment by police in Ferguson is sending a "conflicting message." Holder said authorities there have accepted the Justice Department's offer of crowd-control help as it continues to investigate the Saturday shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Paul blamed the trend on the federal government, in his column in Time.

"Washington has incentivized the militarization of local police precincts by using federal dollars to help municipal governments build what are essentially small armies -- where police departments compete to acquire military gear that goes far beyond what most of Americans think of as law enforcement," Paul wrote.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The only people I ever hear say "the police have too much gear" are criminals or families of criminals.

As a law abiding citizen I never gave two shits if they had a taurus or a tank.

Monday: The police have too much gear and are too militaristic. They dont need fast cars or rifles or mraps. its an infringement!

Tuesday: Why did two teenagers kill 40 people before the cops even went in? Why weren't the police prepared for this?

Wednesday: A guy with a knife killed a cop during a traffic stop. Why didn't the cop shoot him?

Thursday: A cop killed a guy with a knife during a traffic stop. Why was this force necessary? Fire the cop.

Friday: I called the cops and it took them TEN MINUTES to get here. What if someone had a gun? It was just one overweight guy that showed up. Our police force is laughably under equipped and under trained.

(Scroll back to Monday)

Last edited:

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have no problem with police having semi-auto rifles, body armor, and armored vehicles for extreme cases, as long as responsible private gun owners are allowed the same. However I look at police departments who roll out this equipment to deal with unarmed protesters the same way I look at open carriers who bring a loaded AR-15 into Target. It's fine to have them, but when you go around waving them in everyone's face you can't expect people to like it, just like with genitals and religion.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I have no problem with police having semi-auto rifles, body armor, and armored vehicles for extreme cases, as long as responsible private gun owners are allowed the same. However I look at police departments who roll out this equipment to deal with unarmed protesters the same way I look at open carriers who bring a loaded AR-15 into Target. It's fine to have them, but when you go around waving them in everyone's face you can't expect people to like it, just like with genitals and religion.

Here is something else in the works also that may be of some interest I read about yesterday. I believe it is to be brought up after the election when they feel they will get more to sponsor it. The other article said it had 30 co-sponsors, but this only shows 16 of which is all republican.
    http://stewart.house.gov/media-cent...-to-de-militarize-federal-regulatory-agencies

Text of the bill: http://stewart.house.gov/sites/stewart.house.gov/files/RAD Act.pdf

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have mixed feelings on this topic. On one hand I support LEO's and want them as safe as possible.

On the other hand, they work directly for the the president. Speaking in purely theoretical terms, suppose we get a corrupt politician in office that gives them illegal orders. Say, enforcing an illegal gun confiscation? Having them better equipped and armed is not a good thing.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    The simple answer is the original intent of the Constitution, NFA and GCA, not withstanding. A populace equally armed.

Simple, but not easy.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    The only people I ever hear say "the police have too much gear" are criminals or families of criminals.

As a law abiding citizen I never gave two shits if they had a taurus or a tank.

Monday: The police have too much gear and are too militaristic. They dont need fast cars or rifles or mraps. its an infringement!

Tuesday: Why did two teenagers kill 40 people before the cops even went in? Why weren't the police prepared for this?

Wednesday: A guy with a knife killed a cop during a traffic stop. Why didn't the cop shoot him?

Thursday: A cop killed a guy with a knife during a traffic stop. Why was this force necessary? Fire the cop.

Friday: I called the cops and it took them TEN MINUTES to get here. What if someone had a gun? It was just one overweight guy that showed up. Our police force is laughably under equipped and under trained.

(Scroll back to Monday)

I would like it noted that I am not a criminal or a family member of a criminal to my knowledge and I "believe the police have too much gear." I want y'all safe, but some of the stuff we see is ridiculous. Every cop does not need battle rattle, digital camo, and tact'd out ARs. It's not necessary or practical. You want SWAT teams with an MRAP fine, but there's no need for neighborhoods to look like urban war zones when police respond. Even the uniforms are getting ridiculous, cops wearing BDUs and combat boots, looking like paramilitary brown shirted jackboot thugs. How about slacks, button up shirts, and a nice pair of shoes? Keep the look professional and not aggressive. Keep your body armor, patrol rifles, and shot guns. Leave the flak, kevlar, and sniper rifles at home. That said, I see from your weekly breakdown you live in a reality which I do not. Perhaps I just don't understand.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Not that I think every cop needs to be decked out, but would you really want to go to work with a good possibility of having to chase or fight someone in slacks and dress shoes? And cops are never shot at, what do those crazy bastards need with kevlar?

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    If American Law Enforcement wasn't engaged in a decades long war against American Citizens then I might be more supportive of the build up of military hardware in our back yards. The War on Drugs has made most every American a combatant - and those who aren't involved become unlucky bystanders like the baby who was flashbanged in the face. Mission creep is always an issue, lets not exacerbate the problem by piling on offensive weaponry. I hope that Congress does restrict the transfer of weapons to LE; I also hope that Congress will finally end the "War on Drugs Citizens".

Who dat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Covington
    You proponents are so delusional that you forget that these thugs are rioting and are loosing track of the real issues at hand. The show of force is in direct response to a ****ing riot. The everyday patrol officer does not have this specialized equipment. So now the public doesn't want the LEOs to have M4 patrol rifles and armored vehicles we presented with a high risk situation because people believe the rank and file are mindless robots that will follow the commander in chief over a cliff? The far right crap is just as destructive to this country as the left. Wooo saaaaaaa.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    A few thing in response:

Not all departments have NODs, MRAPs, and M16s. My 50 man dept has 1deuce and a half for high water rescue, and 2 30 year old AN PVS7As. Most other small departments have less than that if anything.

Cop don't need select fire rifles, but if you expect them to go into a school, mall, church or other public building after 1 or more active shooters you better hope they have a semi auto AR or other rifle. Simply put, I won't go without one. I'm not waking into a killing field with a only a glock.

You take my armor and I'm done. Period. At that point you may as well take the guns too.

I can argue either way on the camo but see it as kinda ridiculous. OD, blue or black, even tan, but multi-cam? Really? Hard to justify to me.

All in all, most of the stuff you read about in the media about police militarization are either departments that went ape **** crazy overboard on getting cheap high speed low drag toys, in which case you have a bigger problem than the toys, you may want to look at the decision makers.. The other is media sensationalism. You do have the exceptions but for the most part threw fit in these 2 categories.

Do mistakes get made? Are bad decisions made? Do we have our share of idiots at all levels? Of course we do and I won't defend them for a second, but is taking tools away from LE as a whole the answer? I would think probably not. Sometimes **** happens. Baby's get burned with a flash bang. It sucks but does that mean get rid of the bang?

Maybe we should apply that argument to guns :confused:

See what I did there? Makes a little more sense from that angle huh?:D

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille
    You proponents are so delusional that you forget that these thugs are rioting and are loosing track of the real issues at hand. The show of force is in direct response to a ****ing riot. The everyday patrol officer does not have this specialized equipment. So now the public doesn't want the LEOs to have M4 patrol rifles and armored vehicles we presented with a high risk situation because people believe the rank and file are mindless robots that will follow the commander in chief over a cliff? The far right crap is just as destructive to this country as the left. Wooo saaaaaaa.

Keeping civilian police armed like civilians is hardly far right extremism. Cops and regular citizens should be equally armed as intended by the founding fathers. Besides, real security and safety in a community is not the product of police spending or armament. Its a result of the residents themselves.

Also funny how any reduction of government authority or spending is now being classified as far right. :rofl:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Who's lost sight of the real issue. The "****ing" riot is merely a symptom. Stop counting trees. There's a forest right in front of you.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    Not that I think every cop needs to be decked out, but would you really want to go to work with a good possibility of having to chase or fight someone in slacks and dress shoes? And cops are never shot at, what do those crazy bastards need with kevlar?

Sorry, marine speak, by kevlar I mean helmets, not vests. Cops wore slacks and dress shoes for years before this "militarization." What changed?

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Where do cops around here not wear dress uniforms? The only guys I see in tac style dress is tactical units or warrant service crews and NOPD's VOWS which is a division of SWAT.

I see guys in 5.11 pants and polos, but I see car salesmen and insurance adjusters in those too so are they militarized now? I know a bunch of the guys on here who are non-Leo or non-military wear them too.

Oh and BTW.... Are not those uniforms fairly similar to military uniforms? I know the only difference between my USMC service C uniform and my patrol uniform was the color, boots and the duty belt.

So where is the line and reason?

If our urban neighborhood weren't like war zones maybe we wouldn't need all that ****. Look at the big picture.

Last edited:

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Im just going to Pop this in here real quick then run away. No need to even comment.
    Treat it like the single nude slide that Tyler Durden inserts during a film.

.......as the "Riot Reality Show mini series" continues to move the cattle into another field, what's going on at the border ?

:boink:

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    A few thing in response:

Not all departments have NODs, MRAPs, and M16s. My 50 man dept has 1deuce and a half for high water rescue, and 2 30 year old AN PVS7As. Most other small departments have less than that if anything.

Cop don't need select fire rifles, but if you expect them to go into a school, mall, church or other public building after 1 or more active shooters you better hope they have a semi auto AR or other rifle. Simply put, I won't go without one. I'm not waking into a killing field with a only a glock.

You take my armor and I'm done. Period. At that point you may as well take the guns too.

I can argue either way on the camo but see it as kinda ridiculous. OD, blue or black, even tan, but multi-cam? Really? Hard to justify to me.

All in all, most of the stuff you read about in the media about police militarization are either departments that went ape **** crazy overboard on getting cheap high speed low drag toys, in which case you have a bigger problem than the toys, you may want to look at the decision makers.. The other is media sensationalism. You do have the exceptions but for the most part threw fit in these 2 categories.

Do mistakes get made? Are bad decisions made? Do we have our share of idiots at all levels? Of course we do and I won't defend them for a second, but is taking tools away from LE as a whole the answer? I would think probably not. Sometimes **** happens. Baby's get burned with a flash bang. It sucks but does that mean get rid of the bang?

Maybe we should apply that argument to guns :confused:

See what I did there? Makes a little more sense from that angle huh?:D

You make a lot of good points. My beef isn't really with the equipment itself but rather how some departments are using them.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Correct me if I am wrong, can't civilians purchase full auto rifles? Legally or illegally civilians can get their hands on full auto and beyond so by using the equal armament theory leo are entitled to pretty much everything except womd

Top Bottom