Those who shoot at The Shooters Club in River Ridge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I just have a few questions and comments for anyone who shoots at The Shooters Club in River Ridge... and who knows, this may apply to all ranges in the states for all I know.

When there's a big sign that says "Please SWEEP UP your brass"... WHY NOT JUST DO IT INSTEAD OF LEAVING IT FOR THE NEXT USER OF THE LANE???

How in the HELL can you shoot out the target feed wire on a lane with a .22lr?? Why are you aiming at the ceiling in the first place! (Sorry... this was a personal issue I had this past weekend).

I know EVERYONE knows you can fire in bursts of 3 rounds. When the range officers come over the loud speaker and say "NO RAPID FIRE ON THE RANGE!", after you just popped off 15 rounds in 2 seconds, I'd be willing to BET they're talking to you directly!

Keep your weapon IN YOUR LANE and when you're not about to send it, DON'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE DAMN TRIGGER!! I don't enjoy being swept by your idiotic weapon and trigger discipline skills. Do you see that hole in the crossbar in front of you?? That's from idiots like YOU!

If you drop something in the "hot" area of the range, DON'T just crawl under the crossbar to grab it... the range officer will gladly hold the firing on the range so you can get whatever you need. Or here's a trick... use one of the giant brooms to reach out and get it!

The double safety door system is in place for a reason. The "PUSH FOR EMERGENCY" is not a "PUSH TO OPEN". The system is designed to dampen the sounds of the rounds being fired and not send damaging sound levels into the lounge/reception/lobby area.

When entering and existing the facility, your weapon should be either IN A CASE or at the very least have the slide locked back or cylinder open! COME ON PEOPLE!

Now, I don't work there, but I frequent there OFTEN because I don't want to drive two hours to another range. I'm assuming those using the range go there because of convenience also... so how about keeping it convenient, follow the rules and show a little courtesy for your fellow shooters?

I don't even care what you wear in there... the tactical cammo overalls, the full chest rig, the 2nd amendment trucker hats, etc., I really don't, not that it even matters what I think... but at the very least, just be courteous and somewhat considerate of your fellow shooters (maybe bath BEFORE going?).

I'm telling you, it's like fricken WAL-MART in there sometimes!!!

Sorry for the rant... I just had to get it out.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I just have a few questions and comments for anyone who shoots at The Shooters Club in River Ridge... and who knows, this may apply to all ranges in the states for all I know.

When there's a big sign that says "Please SWEEP UP your brass"... WHY NOT JUST DO IT INSTEAD OF LEAVING IT FOR THE NEXT USER OF THE LANE???

How in the HELL can you shoot out the target feed wire on a lane with a .22lr?? Why are you aiming at the ceiling in the first place! (Sorry... this was a personal issue I had this past weekend).

I know EVERYONE knows you can fire in bursts of 3 rounds. When the range officers come over the loud speaker and say "NO RAPID FIRE ON THE RANGE!", after you just popped off 15 rounds in 2 seconds, I'd be willing to BET they're talking to you directly!

Keep your weapon IN YOUR LANE and when you're not about to send it, DON'T PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE DAMN TRIGGER!! I don't enjoy being swept by your idiotic weapon and trigger discipline skills. Do you see that hole in the crossbar in front of you?? That's from idiots like YOU!

If you drop something in the "hot" area of the range, DON'T just crawl under the crossbar to grab it... the range officer will gladly hold the firing on the range so you can get whatever you need. Or here's a trick... use one of the giant brooms to reach out and get it!

The double safety door system is in place for a reason. The "PUSH FOR EMERGENCY" is not a "PUSH TO OPEN". The system is designed to dampen the sounds of the rounds being fired and not send damaging sound levels into the lounge/reception/lobby area.

When entering and existing the facility, your weapon should be either IN A CASE or at the very least have the slide locked back or cylinder open! COME ON PEOPLE!

Now, I don't work there, but I frequent there OFTEN because I don't want to drive two hours to another range. I'm assuming those using the range go there because of convenience also... so how about keeping it convenient, follow the rules and show a little courtesy for your fellow shooters?

I don't even care what you wear in there... the tactical cammo overalls, the full chest rig, the 2nd amendment trucker hats, etc., I really don't, not that it even matters what I think... but at the very least, just be courteous and somewhat considerate of your fellow shooters (maybe bath BEFORE going?).

I was actually a true A-hole at the range a week or so ago. Some idiot was in there being an idiot and I eventually walked over and told him the next time he pointed his gun at me I'd point one back. I wasn't in the mood to be muzzle swept by someone with **** poor trigger discipline. The more time I spend at public ranges the more I wish I'd bought land closer to home.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth

Yeah but how do you really feel about it. ;)

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Somewhere in this thread, someone needs to include a diatribe about the azzhat who sets up in the lane next to you at Bayou Dragon with a Mosin Nagant, .30-06, and a .300 Win mag, when there are no other people on the range.:doh:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Somewhere in this thread, someone needs to include a diatribe about the azzhat who sets up in the lane next to you at Bayou Dragon with a Mosin Nagant, .30-06, and a .300 Win mag, when there are no other people on the range.:doh:

lol yes. Its like that guy that sees 11 empty urinals and picks the one right beside you. Cmon man.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

Give them one of these awards...

asshat-award.jpg

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I had a membership there a while back and would go every other weekend and met some nice people. Then the whole gun frenzy hit and suddenly the place was packed and filled with dumbasses and I felt as if my life was in danger being there. And, the last two times I tried to go there about a year ago it was so crowded that I just left. If you are at the movies and somebody does something stupid it is bad enough. If someone does something stupid at a shooting range the results could be bad.
    My biggest gripe was with the idiots who would shoot one shot, turn around with their finger on the trigger, and giggle like a schoolgirl and muzzle sweep the person in the next lane. The rules are not so complicated that they cannot follow them. And, if I remember correctly, they are on the wall.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I had a membership there a while back and would go every other weekend and met some nice people. Then the whole gun frenzy hit and suddenly the place was packed and filled with dumbasses and I felt as if my life was in danger being there. And, the last two times I tried to go there about a year ago it was so crowded that I just left. If you are at the movies and somebody does something stupid it is bad enough. If someone does something stupid at a shooting range the results could be bad.
    My biggest gripe was with the idiots who would shoot one shot, turn around with their finger on the trigger, and giggle like a schoolgirl and muzzle sweep the person in the next lane. The rules are not so complicated that they cannot follow them. And, if I remember correctly, they are on the wall.

I walked out of a local range once when a pair of ladies in front of me were asking the nerd behind the desk how to load a snub nose revolver. Her questions highlighted that it was her first time even holding a loaded firearm. "Umm, are you sending in a range officer or someone with her?" Nope. "Okay. I'm out. Adios."

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

It's not like they had muzzle brakes on them! The big guns can be a bit much indoors, but I love having the option to test any gun I have there.

At Bayou Dragon the lane is assigned to you. You don't get to choose. That's why the target carriers don't work on the lanes not in use. When I get assigned a lane I don't like I ask for a different one. But generally at the dragon it is pretty full for about half my range sessions.

There can be idiots at every range, some are not dangerous though, just annoying.

Last edited:

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    It really depends on what day, and what time of day, you go to the Shooters Club. Weekends are pretty bad. On weekends when there's a gun show... just stay home. Tuesday at noon, on the other hand, everyone who is there is legit.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I only go there on a weekday. I like going there when the "Gunny" is in charge. He is very helpful if you have a problem.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I usually only go to the local indoor range at noon on Sunday, or early during the week. Usually have the place to myself. When people start showing up, I usually pack up and leave. They patched the holes in the wall 90° from the firing line, but I saw them...

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When my son got married last Summer, all of the guys in the wedding party went to Shooters Club as my guests for the first event of he batchelor party. Half had never fired a gun before; half had. I gave a safety lecture before we started (even though they club made everyone watch their taped one). We paired off with an experienced shooter and a novice on each lane (and we took up a few lanes). Everyone had fun; noone got hurt. I got to shoot some guns one of he young men brought that I hadn't shot before.

It was a great time, although they went through a few months worth of my ammo budget in a very short time.

Tinytitan

Is it loaded?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Boutte
    I believe it can be that way anywhere you go, I went to the range in Cutoff today.....empty only me and two friends were there.......(maybe it was because of the 26mph headwind....giggity). Very nice people there and nice set up, will go again once I get my optics on my sr762.

Last time I went to the shooters club it was empty also....but that was on the order of a few years ago....I really like outdoor ranges now

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I frequent shooters club, but also pretty much go anywhere within 1 hour of NOLA. When I see someone not handling their guns properly, I leave. Simple as that, Yes it ruins my range trip, but I'll live to see another day. Plus I'm amazed at all the holes in the ceilings and marks on the floor of the ranges I go to. And seriously wonder what people are doing to shoot the ceiling 5 ft in front of them. Also as far as mag dumps, If they are being asshats about it, and barely hitting the target, it's a waste, and possibly dangerous.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I am known for controlled pairs, Mozambique drills, and mag dumps. I do stay on target, waste is up to the shooter. But I agree, it is scary how many holes are in the ceiling and walls 90° from the firing line... When I see stupid, I leave, FAST!

Very picky on who I shoot with.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I shoot pretty fast at the range, but I'm not one of the ones you need to worry about accidentally shooting someone. I'm getting .18 splits while staying on an index card. Someone shooting fast really only bothers me if they are being unsafe. I don't think one is always associated with the other.

Top Bottom