Those who shoot at The Shooters Club in River Ridge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I shoot pretty fast at the range, but I'm not one of the ones you need to worry about accidentally shooting someone. I'm getting .18 splits while staying on an index card. Someone shooting fast really only bothers me if they are being unsafe. I don't think one is always associated with the other.

Dayum! 5 shots on a index card in less than a second is awesome.How far away is the index card?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    7 yards. I'm using a pistol with a delta point and that isn't from a holster. My first shot isn't that fast, my reaction time and getting on target slows it down, but the rest are. Anything faster than that and my accuracy goes down hill fast. There are plenty of people doing it a lot faster, but I'm working on it.

This is about 6 months about when I really started working at it. I've shaved off some time since, especially on the first shot. I think I was about a second there from the low ready. Stupid things like going at the start of the buzzer, not the end, and really working on the reaction time. I'll try to take a couple of photos next time I go to the range.

29njprl.jpg

bio36c.jpg

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Quit going there after myself and the guy next to me were scolded by some 18 year old looking kid for picking up our brass that was in our own stalls. We were not sweeping in front of us nor picking up brass behind or the sides of us. Said if it isnt marked you cant pick it up. He came in there with a marker a few minutes later and I just laughed and left. Have not returned since nor will I ever again.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    It's safer also.

JR1572
    I can not blame the guys who run a range as there are unsafe persons who will show up so they have to be hard on everyone! Unless they know ya from past visits. And yse a few tiomes guys that did not know me were tuff on me but i could see their point. But there is also a place to raw a line being an ass with customers it is probably not an easy job sorting out the idiots from non idiots!
    Not at shooters club but.
    As kid i got hot by half a lead ball from a cap and ball a man was shooting at the indoor range.
    1st dad went and said that he was upset that it was being shot inside they owner says it is ok he is just shoot a few shots one hit the target carrier and then after a few more shots he shot right at the side wall to see what damage it would do.
    it hot the wall and half or so bounced off and hit me in the lower calf bad flesh wound. That from what i remember did not hurt at 1st but did burn like fire.
    The clean up was what really got me. And bandages were on a regular basis till healed up.
    I liked the shooters on David 3-4 lanes as i could be there in no time not have to cross the bridge and Kevin and the others wee always nice. So shot there plenty when it was still there.
    I did at times get the picking up brass deal from a few guys who worked there at times as they were not sure if i was doing the Right thing. So I mark all my brass now and look forward to the new range that will open on Airline.
    I have left the range before do to others being careless, the gun renters are the worse. Had one in a stall with Her BF or Husband and kid rent a Ruger MK3 and could not rack the bolt back.
    So she would hold it sideways at the shooter in next lane with one hand and then pulle pack wth other she shot the floor carrier and walls too that was while i was packing up to leave. and reported her on my way out

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I can not blame the guys who run a range as there are unsafe persons who will show up so they have to be hard on everyone! Unless they know ya from past visits. And yse a few tiomes guys that did not know me were tuff on me but i could see their point. But there is also a place to raw a line being an ass with customers it is probably not an easy job sorting out the idiots from non idiots!
    Not at shooters club but.
    As kid i got hot by half a lead ball from a cap and ball a man was shooting at the indoor range.
    1st dad went and said that he was upset that it was being shot inside they owner says it is ok he is just shoot a few shots one hit the target carrier and then after a few more shots he shot right at the side wall to see what damage it would do.
    it hot the wall and half or so bounced off and hit me in the lower calf bad flesh wound. That from what i remember did not hurt at 1st but did burn like fire.
    The clean up was what really got me. And bandages were on a regular basis till healed up.
    I liked the shooters on David 3-4 lanes as i could be there in no time not have to cross the bridge and Kevin and the others wee always nice. So shot there plenty when it was still there.
    I did at times get the picking up brass deal from a few guys who worked there at times as they were not sure if i was doing the Right thing. So I mark all my brass now and look forward to the new range that will open on Airline.
    I have left the range before do to others being careless, the gun renters are the worse. Had one in a stall with Her BF or Husband and kid rent a Ruger MK3 and could not rack the bolt back.
    So she would hold it sideways at the shooter in next lane with one hand and then pulle pack wth other she shot the floor carrier and walls too that was while i was packing up to leave. and reported her on my way out

Can someone translate that for me please?

The people running the range are responsible for keeping the range safe and not allowing people to do unsafe stuff. If the people who are supposed to be doing that have their heads up their asses then maybe they should be doing something else.

I understand that it's everyone's responsibility to be safe at the range, but someone should be watching what's going on and correcting people when they commit safety violations.

There were some decent range officers at HI, but for the most part they were people who did that job very half-assed just to get a key to the range and go during the week when the place is closed to the public. Yeah, I'm still not happy about being down range on the rifle range when one of those morons called the line hot. Good thing one of the people on the firing line saw me and alerted him that there was someone still downrange.

JR1572

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    they would need a RO on the firing lines on both sides. with one person just manning the counter, they are not able to 'watch the firing line' - on the weekends this is an issue, on weekday not so much. they can watch the monitors and the glass. there used to be some old timers who hung around and kept and eye open on the line but I have not seen anyone watching lately, esp on the weekends.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I guess my long winded crappy post w should have been they can not watch everything 100% of the time it is also up to shooters to report or leave if that does no good.
    I can also see th RO being nasty at times as he may or may not know if you are a derp or not.
    But repeated doing so after ya are not makes me go else where.
    And my point also was that when you let someone get away with to much things can happen like when I got shot as a kid.
    So do have some understanding that the RO can and may be a a hard azz and why

MyBabyDaddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Somewhere in this thread, someone needs to include a diatribe about the azzhat who sets up in the lane next to you at Bayou Dragon with a Mosin Nagant, .30-06, and a .300 Win mag, when there are no other people on the range.:doh:

I cant shoot at BD. There's no circulation and every time I go I wind up having an asthma attack after I leave due to all of the smoke. It never fails , I'll be on the Lafitte/Larose hwy heading back up and my asthma will act up and I'll need my inhaler. The little fans he has don't help much to circulate the air.

So I cant go there anymore which really is a shame cause I'm getting ready to build in Lafitte. Thankfully there's plenty of land to shoot pistols & shotguns down there.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I cant shoot at BD. There's no circulation and every time I go I wind up having an asthma attack after I leave due to all of the smoke. It never fails , I'll be on the Lafitte/Larose hwy heading back up and my asthma will act up and I'll need my inhaler. The little fans he has don't help much to circulate the air.

So I cant go there anymore which really is a shame cause I'm getting ready to build in Lafitte. Thankfully there's plenty of land to shoot pistols & shotguns down there.

I used to get aggravated by the air in there some times. Now I don't. But I don't have Asthma. There is another guy on here that couldn't deal with it and quit going with us. It got me really bad once or twice. I think it is was worse when bigger rifle kicked up the dust. I think they clean more regularly now also. I wouldn't chance it if I had asthma. I rather shoot outside when I can.

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Can someone translate that for me please?

The people running the range are responsible for keeping the range safe and not allowing people to do unsafe stuff. If the people who are supposed to be doing that have their heads up their asses then maybe they should be doing something else.

I understand that it's everyone's responsibility to be safe at the range, but someone should be watching what's going on and correcting people when they commit safety violations.

There were some decent range officers at HI, but for the most part they were people who did that job very half-assed just to get a key to the range and go during the week when the place is closed to the public. Yeah, I'm still not happy about being down range on the rifle range when one of those morons called the line hot. Good thing one of the people on the firing line saw me and alerted him that there was someone still downrange.

JR1572

Do you and the range officer know each other? Does he know you maybe from Bayou Shooter? I'm not saying anything but hey ya never know..:)

GregO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Metairie
    Louis is smiling from his grave. 2 of the best things he ever said were..."1911.. everyone should own at least 2" and more important.. "Nothing worse than an idiot with a gun and no clue." I am happy they have the iPads set up with rules and regulations though... but thats totally different from actual firearm training. Newbies should at least go to a CC class.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Have any of you guys offered some friendly advice to any of the people that you have witnessed handling firearms in an unsafe manner? What I'm trying to ascertain is what are you guys doing to help promote firearm safety and good marksmanship to the unfamiliar? Does it give you guys comfort knowing that in the arena of firearms ownership, safety, and marksmanship that you have a leg up on the novice shooter/ gun owner? I'm asking a friendly question, what are you guys doing to help your fellow shooters that have limited experience?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom