open carrying laws in louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    denham springs louisiana
    im 21 years old iv herd that you dont need a license to open carry in louisiana if you are 21 or older whats the exact rules on that because i like to where baggy shirts as im a kind of a hefty guy if my shirt covers up some of the gun is it not open carry any more or is that ok i just want to know the rules on open carry in louisiana so i dont get arrested oh and whats cheap pistol that i can get at a pawnshop for about $150 to $200 and what caliber do you suggest thanks for your help hope to talk to you soon

josh

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    im 21 years old iv herd that you dont need a license to open carry in louisiana if you are 21 or older whats the exact rules on that because i like to where baggy shirts as im a kind of a hefty guy if my shirt covers up some of the gun is it not open carry any more or is that ok i just want to know the rules on open carry in louisiana so i dont get arrested oh and whats cheap pistol that i can get at a pawnshop for about $150 to $200 and what caliber do you suggest thanks for your help hope to talk to you soon

josh

Louisiana is an Open carry state. If you are of age and not legally banned from posessing a firearm you can carry openly everywhere its allowed. Many people here will frown on this behavior and make you out to be a wanna-be cop or self professed hero, but its perfectly legal as long as its not prohibited by the property owner. If you go in a store and they tell you "you can't have that here" thats the store owners right to tell you that. I rarely ever OC because I feel it draws unwanted attention to me and I would rather avoid knowing the night manager at the Walgreens or Taco Bell are lefty wackos who don't like guns.

Carrying a gun is a big resposibility its more than just knowing "gun safety" or being able to shoot the black out of a paper target. If you decide carrying is right for you, you need to spend a lot of time reading, studying, and practicing. If you intend on concealing you will need a state required course and a permit. Do not confuse what is legally required for what you should be doing. One course and never studying independently or not routinely practicing wont cut it.

I cant recommend a gun in the price point because while I typically own cheaper guns, nothing I own is in that price point. But for $300 you can buy a Taurus Millinium g2 for about $300. I own one and it shoots good enough, but its by no means my favorite. And in 9mm it holds 12 rounds, with a back-up mag it makes it 24 rounds. But if you are hoping to enjoy shooting pistols $500 is about the minimum on new. Used it just depends.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    thank you so much but if my shirt covers up some of the gun but if the holster is still visible is that illegal

That I dont know, but I personally believe if it can be misunderstood as intentionally concealing then its concealing. Open is just as it says its all out in the open for everyone to see. I would suggest that even an inside the waist holster (iwb) with the grip sticking up and your shirt tucked in could still be constructed as an attempt to conceal. These are my personal opinions and I like to error towards caution.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    There was a court case that covered this topic. State V. Fluker. Partially concealed is not concealed in the eyes of the law. As long as the gun is plainly visible you SHOULD be OK.
    Now if the holster totally covered the bottom of the gun and the shirt totally covered the grip such that none of the gun itself was visible, yeah you could probably get into trouble for that. You might beat a court case but I'd try to avoid that situation.
    If you do decide to open carry, wear a nice collared shirt, tuck that shirt in, be well groomed. Look good while doing it. Look sharp. Professional. Some of the guys in Texas openly carrying rifles and dressed like pigs, are not doing the gun community any favors. Be polite and don't make problems for us. Thanks.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I would honestly look into some training. It will save you time, headache, and money. Many of the classes offer a loaner gun so you really don't need your own firearm. Many people starting out feel as though they need to have their own firearm. One that they will use everyday. 99.9% of shooter end up realizing what they thought was what they wanted turns out not to be what is needed. Take the first step into a class and you will learn what is right for you, open/concealed etc. This is what I tell friends and family when they ask about guns for defense. You will find a camaraderie of shooters that will open a vast number of doors to learn and meet some great people. Please, please consider this option.

Advantagegrouptraining.com

Phobossolutions.com

Vatagroup.com

Bearcotraining.com

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    There was a court case that covered this topic. State V. Fluker. Partially concealed is not concealed in the eyes of the law. As long as the gun is plainly visible you SHOULD be OK.
    Now if the holster totally covered the bottom of the gun and the shirt totally covered the grip such that none of the gun itself was visible, yeah you could probably get into trouble for that. You might beat a court case but I'd try to avoid that situation.
    If you do decide to open carry, wear a nice collared shirt, tuck that shirt in, be well groomed. Look good while doing it. Look sharp. Professional. Some of the guys in Texas openly carrying rifles and dressed like pigs, are not doing the gun community any favors. Be polite and don't make problems for us. Thanks.

Well said it may be petty but it is what it is. Appearance is everything. Look like a dirtbag and you will be thought of as one and be treated like one.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    That's a big problem in our country. Many are strapping one on and thinking they are a real man now.

Is it really a "problem"? I dont hear of many tragidies. Sure gang-bangers run around "sprayin an prayin", but it doesn't seem like what you are talking about. Is the Mr. High Point Jim Bob's of the world causing that many tragidies with their flop-flop holsters and their "white box fmj's"? Seems if anything 99% of the time they just give us pause for concern and free entertainment.

I only make this point so that the gun crowd doesn't allow itself to be drug into agreeing with the anti-gunners.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Is it really a "problem"? I dont hear of many tragidies. Sure gang-bangers run around "sprayin an prayin", but it doesn't seem like what you are talking about. Is the Mr. High Point Jim Bob's of the world causing that many tragidies with their flop-flop holsters and their "white box fmj's". Seems if anything 99% of the time they just give us pause for concern and free entertainment.

High Point Jim Bob's typically only cause problems, not solve them. More people are afraid of High Point Jim Bob's than they are of gang-bangers.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    High Point Jim Bob's typically only cause problems, not solve them. More people are afraid of High Point Jim Bob's than they are of gang-bangers.

Well thats just silly show me evidence that would warrant fearing some doh-doh bird with a high point more so than a bunch of gang- bangers.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom