open carrying laws in louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I don't care if anyone OC's, but I expect it to be done right. If I see Bubba Redneck with a Sigma in a gun show special clipped to his pocket, I hope he ND's himself in the foot. Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

So where is the problem and who is afraid of Bubba and why does Bubba scare you more than Jarrone and Daquarious? And how do you feel about Ali and Kalede?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    im 21 years old iv herd that you dont need a license to open carry in louisiana if you are 21 or older whats the exact rules on that because i like to where baggy shirts as im a kind of a hefty guy if my shirt covers up some of the gun is it not open carry any more or is that ok i just want to know the rules on open carry in louisiana so i dont get arrested oh and whats cheap pistol that i can get at a pawnshop for about $150 to $200 and what caliber do you suggest thanks for your help hope to talk to you soon

josh

Josh,

You should drop the $150 - $200 on a class first. The lessons that you learn will be invaluable. Plus, asking for a cheap pistol and a caliber recommendation opens up too many options. It's not what we like - it's what feels good in your hand. I personally do not like Glocks, yet half of the members on this forum swear by them. You really need to learn the basics on gun safety, situational awareness, and the legalities of carrying a firearm before you strap one to yourself. Further, the idea behind carrying a pistol is to NEVER have to use it. Keep that in mind.

Austin

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    One way to get good beginner training is to work part-time as a security guard. The company will have you trained on the basics and you will get a class on deadly force. You will get experience open carrying in uniform while earning extra money that you can use to pay for a nice carry gun, practice ammo, and additional training.
    I did exactly that after the military and it worked out very well.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    One way to get good beginner training is to work part-time as a security guard. The company will have you trained on the basics and you will get a class on deadly force. You will get experience open carrying in uniform while earning extra money that you can use to pay for a nice carry gun, practice ammo, and additional training.
    I did exactly that after the military and it worked out very well.
    I guess it would depend and what company you work for.
    Example: The business my girlfriend works for has a 'security guard' and he carries a no name or at least a gun I've never heard of 9mm in his Uncle Mike's holster. He's sat there and taught my girlfriend and me about guns. First you never carry a round in the chamber on a semi auto and that you rack the slide when want to shoot something. Next you also always carry a revolver on a empty hole so it won't fire if you drop it. Then you don't carry a .45 in New Orleans you carry a 9mm because a .45 will go through a wall and a 9mm won't.
    My girlfriend just looks at him and then to me knowing that my head is about to pop listening to him. He's pretty entertaining I've never told him I have a gun under my shirt and that my holster and ammo probably cost more than his gun.

Then one night when he was sick another guard filled in for him and this guy was a winner too.
    HE had a discussion with me about guns and CHP's. He's a gunsmith at a place in Baton Rouge during the day.
    I told him I've carried a Sig for about 18 years and he said it was a good gun. And he had gotten his brother a Blue Label Sig and his brother loved it because it was so much better than the regular Sig's.
    We talked about interactions with LEO's if you had a CHP and I quoted what the law says. He told me I was wrong and that I only had to notify a LEO that I was carrying if I was being detained. He said to ask if I was being detained. I said ok thank you for the info.
    Then he started telling me he could carry anywhere because something about either working on or something about class 3. But it was he could carry anywhere. By that time I was daydreaming and don't remember much.

This is just a example of what SOME security guards think.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Don't do like this guy.

fag6liq7d3sgckwb5oga.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Spend any time in rural towns? Reminds me of a few LEO's in a couple small towns that wear their wranglers and a polo with a embroidered badge.

I've seen the local LEO types like that. But this is a guy with a CHP and his conceal weapon badge on is belt OC'ing. Last time I saw him I was behind him at Dollar General and he had his holster clipped on his pocket.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Regarding the OP's request for info:

You should be able to find a police trade in Smith and Wesson Model 10 for around $250.00, or you could order a new RIA .38 Special Stay away from snub nose revolvers. It's much easier to hit what you're shooting at with a longer sight radius. No need for a short barrel if you're not concealing it.

A nice, high riding, leather holster, with a retaining strap will run you about $70.00, (Look at Bianchi).

A box of Monarch Jacketed Hollow Points.$20.00

Two Bianchi Speed strips for reloads. $20.00

That's a bit more than $300, but what you'll have will last you a lifetime and work well as a package.

$410 ain't bad for all that.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Wow!!!!

I was wrong about the Model 10 pricing. I can't find one for less than $365. It's no beauty.

Better stick with the RIA on your budget.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    My Opinion, only my opinion. Conceal carry, yes. Open carry, uh might send the wrong signal. Say we get another Katrina, I live in Lafayette. Crime went crazy once they bused in all those "refugees". If I'm out of electricity, I have to take care of my self,family, neighbors, etc, then I'm going to open carry. They had people riding through our neighbor hood I never saw before, pulling recon on who had what. If you had lights at night they knew you had a generator/fuel and your stuff was going to run off. I can see in times of civil unrest it's a good thing, but in normal everyday life it might bring unwanted attention. Just my two cents. :dunno:

Top Bottom