10 reasons not to talk to police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I haven't watched this video in a looong time, but I remember thinking it was good when I first watched it:

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, I'll join the argument lol.

I suggest to my students that If they end up involved in a shooting, it's better to tell the officers that you are not prepared to make any statements until you talk to your legal counsel and have some time to come to grips with the immensity of the situation. Feeling shocked and scared and very vulnerable is not the best time to talk to anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in helping you. Even if you're 100% sure you're justified, it really can't hurt you to talk to a lawyer first.

I read a few articles describing that, I'll try to dig them up when I get home.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell

I suggest to my students that If they end up involved in a shooting, it's better to tell the officers that you are not prepared to make any statements until you talk to your legal counsel and have some time to come to grips with the immensity of the situation. Feeling shocked and scared and very vulnerable is not the best time to talk to anyone who doesn't have a vested interest in helping you. Even if you're 100% sure you're justified, it really can't hurt you to talk to a lawyer first.

+1

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

Don't forget critical incident amnesia.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I always thought it was best to tell the po-po that your daddy/uncle/neighbor is the judge/DA and you arn't going down for sh!t.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Everything Zimmerman did on his own free will, in an effort to be 'cooperative' is now being used against him in a court of law.

Even though he's telling the truth as he knows it, having it be just a little differently worded, even though not a contradiction, the Prosecution is twisting it all up in closing arguments acting like it's a huge inconsistency of lies and deceit.

Had Zimmerman shut up, and lawyered up, none of this would have ever happen and the State would not have this evidence to use against him.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Everything Zimmerman did on his own free will, in an effort to be 'cooperative' is now being used against him in a court of law.

Even though he's telling the truth as he knows it, having it be just a little differently worded, even though not a contradiction, the Prosecution is twisting it all up in closing arguments acting like it's a huge inconsistency of lies and deceit.

Had Zimmerman shut up, and lawyered up, none of this would have ever happen and the State would not have this evidence to use against him.

interesting thoughts hitman.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

You may never see a better reason to clam up than this^! ;)

Every lawyer buddy and/or relative I have has said the same thing over and over; "Sit there and shut up till we get there! End of discussion!"

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    ALWAYS have a lawyer present when talking to the police about an incident that involves you.

NEVER speak with the police without a lawyer present about an incident that involves you.

Stay apologetically silent and explain that you feel more comfortable having a lawyer present in a stressful situation such as this so that you can clearly understand the questions and give accurate answers.

You cannot be denied legal representation, either pre-arrest or post-arrest.
    Or you could just be a nice guy and then go home. Most of the time cops aren't looking to arrest people. Now in a situation where they are questioning you and you know you will be arrested, then it would be best to say you would rather wait until you have a lawyer with you...but just being silent and being an ass to them won't help your situation in any way, shape, or form.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ok, this shot is out of control. I saw an ad from an ambulance chaser telling people not to give a statement about a crash. Ill give you real first hand experience that happened today. Guy comes in that did a crime. I had witnesses and a positive ID a phone call away. He could play dumb and get booked or fess up and get a simple ticket. He gave me his story and I actually gave him less than I had Planned on. If you are being accused of a major crime then do what you have to do but by all means use common sense. The standard of not talking and giving any statements will sometimes work against you. Not always but sometimes

MOTOR51

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ok, this **** is out of control. I saw an ad from an ambulance chaser telling people not to give a statement about a crash. Ill give you real first hand experience that happened today. Guy comes in that did a crime. I had witnesses and a positive ID a phone call away. He could play dumb and get booked or fess up and get a simple ticket. He gave me his story and I actually gave him less than I had Planned on. If you are being accused of a major crime then do what you have to do but by all means use common sense. The standard of not talking and giving any statements will sometimes work against you. Not always but sometimes

MOTOR51

MOTOR51

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA

IIRC It actually worked for him. He was not arrested over the incident until the media and others turned it in to a race circus and demanded blood. A portion of his current defense is in the fact that he cooperated and the police did not find cause to arrest him from the beginning.

I'm damn sure if the police pulled up and and Zimmerman didn't say a word he would have been in jail that night. His lawyers would have said the same thing they started saying after he was arrested. His personal statement kept him out of jail for a time, and not speaking wouldn't have done a thing for him.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    IIRC It actually worked for him. He was not arrested over the incident until the media and others turned it in to a race circus and demanded blood. A portion of his current defense is in the fact that he cooperated and the police did not find cause to arrest him from the beginning.

I'm damn sure if the police pulled up and and Zimmerman didn't say a word he would have been in jail that night. His lawyers would have said the same thing they started saying after he was arrested. His personal statement kept him out of jail for a time, and not speaking wouldn't have done a thing for him.

Maybe you didn't see the Closing Statements today? I watched the entire 2 hour episode.

I'm not saying he should have not said anything, but the walk-through was indeed a BAD idea. The questioning after the initial, without a lawyer was a bad idea.

If you shoot someone, you need to contact a lawyer, immediately. That's a good idea. That's all I'm trying to say.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They have a focused perspective and often have difficulty seeing outside of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

To be quite honest, it doesn't matter to me if you talk or don't. LEO on this board attempt time and time again to provide real world experiences but its always overshadowed by anti government "sky is falling" type. I'm done, its pointless. This site is continually getting worse and worse and eventually will be completely over run by people giving stupid suggestions about something they know nothing about.

MOTOR51

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    To be quite honest, it doesn't matter to me if you talk or don't. LEO on this board attempt time and time again to provide real world experiences but its always overshadowed by anti government "sky is falling" type. I'm done, its pointless. This site is continually getting worse and worse and eventually will be completely over run by people giving stupid suggestions about something they know nothing about.

MOTOR51

Most truthful post made on this board in a very long time.

JR1572

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge

MOTOR51

Forget real world experience. It is cool as hell to see how a LEOs mind works.
    It has revealed a perspective to me that I would have never realized.
    I am not anti government, but my first reactions are generally very Libertarian.
    I believe Law Enforcement guys have to be wired different, or they would go crazy or end up dead.
    Vive la difference

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom