The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    What size are you thinking of getting? Full size? compact? sub?
    Are you getting it to add to a collection, as an EDC, or just to own one for recreation?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    All depends on how much you want to spend!

For an entry level starter, Springfield, Rock Island. I like the Remington R1's also.

When you move into higher priced options, there are so many it's not even funny.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    If you want the Ferrari of the 1911 world, its a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat. I personally love the Nighthawks b/ of the shoot, form, function, finish, and reliability.

Currently have a Kimber Gold Cup Combat that I am happy with but I no longer run reloads through her b/ she can be picky if the loads are not full power. She is now a safe gun b/ I enjoy shooting her but have gone a diff route re defense gun.

IMHO, with a 1911, I have found the more you spend, the better gun you get.

Last edited:

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    A basic $400 entry level could be a Rock Island. I have 1 and although I haven't fired it yet it feels and sounds substantial. The guy I bought it from really liked how it ran but needed a 9 for guard work.
    Taking it out this weekend. I'll post a range report.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    There are a lot of Springfields out there running well, Remington and Ruger seem to have developed a firm following.
    There are those that love Taurus and Rock Island but I can't bring myself to do it Para included.

I bought a Colt as a shooter and haven't looked back. I just want the stainless version to compliment my blued.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Recently sold a Remington R1. Thought it was pretty decent for the price. Currently looking to acquire an STI Ranger 9mm. STI also has a budget minded line made in the Armscor(Rock Island) plant.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    As said above, just depends on what you want to spend. I have spent from $800 to $3000 on them. The $800 Springfield was a very nice gun. When you get to the higher end stuff, the fit and finish is what you are paying for. Much more attention spent on detail and fitting of parts. One of my favorite's that I own is an STI Trojan. Very well made and hand fitted slide/frame and barrel. Runs around $1100. Springfield, Remington, and Colt make some well made ones in the sub 1k range.

Last edited:

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Recently sold a Remington R1. Thought it was pretty decent for the price. Currently looking to acquire an STI Ranger 9mm. STI also has a budget minded line made in the Armscor(Rock Island) plant.

The slide and frame are made by Rock Island, but the internals are all STI and assembled in Texas

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Thar price puts you in the mid level camp of Colt Gold Cup, Dan Wesson, Springfield TRP, STI Trojan, etc.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Thanks I was planning on spending between $1000 and $1500

For $1,500 I picked up a nearly new Les Baer Premier II last fall…I have a number of 1911s but in what I'm looking for in a pistol—accuracy, build, value for the $$$ and reliability—Les Baers can't be beat for the money, IMO. Didn't need a thing and I normally feel the need to tweak. Enjoyed every one of the 6,000 rounds I've put through it thus far.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have Colt, STI, Nighthawk & Para (double stack). Have had good use out of all of them. The higher end seems to give you better service and has some features you might like. Look at a lot of them before you make up your mind. The frame on the STI Spartan is made by Armscor, believe slide is STI. I shoot USPSA SingleStack division & have used my STI Sentry for the last 2 years.

Beauxdog

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Speed is a matter of money, how fast do you want to go?

I agree with the above, but it is sorta like asking what type of woman is best. Everyone will have a opinion but the choice is all yours.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree with a Colt, Springer, and STI. Those are good choices.

You might also consider the Ruger. It's a pretty nice gun for the money. They work well.

For cheap, a Rock Island is a good gun.

Top Bottom