The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    If you want the Ferrari of the 1911 world, its a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat. I personally love the Nighthawks b/ of the shoot, form, function, finish, and reliability.

Currently have a Kimber Gold Cup Combat that I am happy with but I no longer run reloads through her b/ she can be picky if the loads are not full power. She is now a safe gun b/ I enjoy shooting her but have gone a diff route re defense gun.

IMHO, with a 1911, I have found the more you spend, the better gun you get.

I would have to throw the Ed Browns in there too.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The biggest problem with either the Wilson or Ed Brown is the 2 year wait for a new one. They are great guns but the wait would be unacceptable to me. Unless you pick up a used one or find a retailer that keeps them I'm stock the wait is an issue. They are out there. I did have to wait for a Nighthawk but it was less than a year. The wait time for a Les Baer is less than a year as well.

Beauxdog

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    The biggest problem with either the Wilson or Ed Brown is the 2 year wait for a new one. They are great guns but the wait would be unacceptable to me. Unless you pick up a used one or find a retailer that keeps them I'm stock the wait is an issue. They are out there. I did have to wait for a Nighthawk but it was less than a year. The wait time for a Les Baer is less than a year as well.

Beauxdog

There are quite a few places that you can pick up a new Wilson. Plenty of their Master Dealers around the internet like George with Gunslingers and even Jims in Baton Rouge. May have to settle on something that you wouldn't exactly have configured, but probably close without the wait. I was lucky with my Wilson a couple years back and it took only 6 months.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    The frame on the STI Spartan is made by Armscor, believe slide is STI. I shoot USPSA SingleStack division & have used my STI Sentry for the last 2 years.

You can't go wrong with STI, IMO, either. But, with the exception of the trigger components which are STI, the Spartan in made with all Armscor parts and assembled in the Philippines. You do get the advantage of STI service, and STI as a rule extends lifetime warranty to 2nd purchasers from what I've heard, but all the Armscor pistols (Rock Island, Citadel, etc.) have lifetime warranties and good service from Armscor in Nevada.

Nothing wrong with the Armscor pistol, great values at the price, but buy an STI Trojan or better and you'll have a pistol in the next tier up, for sure.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

Beauxdog

*Warning* this site may not be good for your budget: http://tractusarms.com/collections/vendors?q=Wilson Combat They have WC, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Sig, Nighthawk...

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I totally agree with BayouSlide concerning the Les Baer at your price point. I have Colts, Dan Wesson, Guncrafter Ind, several Nighthawks and others but if you limit spending to $1500 I think the Les Baer is probably your best bet for a high end 1911 at a reasonable price. Dan Wessons can be had around there also, I believe. The other option that I would recommend would be a STI and have a professional 1911 smith work it over.
    Everything else I can think of would be under/over the $1500. (Notice I ignored your price "range" and went to the upper limit of your quest? lol)
    Ed

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Quite a few nice pistols turn up BayouShooter…everything from GI model Springfields to a Les Baer are active listings in the classifieds, and all within your price range.

I've been seeing a lot of lightly used 1911s on BayouShooter recently, some priced a little high compared to what you can find a new one for, some right in the ballpark.

Do a little research on pricing on Gunbroker and elsewhere and go to town: shopping around is half the fund and buying a lightly used pistol for $1,000 to $1,500 leaves money for quality mags, holsters, etc. which you're going to need.

I think your budget is very reasonable and you can get a heck of a nice pistol for that cash if you're willing to go lightly used. Below $1,000 you will be making some compromises. Above $2,000 you will find some absolutely gorgeous firearms, crafted with amazing skill…but in my opinion, you also start running into the point of diminishing returns for your investment. For me, $1,500 is the sweet spot, especially buying used, but YMMV.

Just think about what you want and what you'll use it for: target, competition, carry, self defense, all of the above? Full length Government? Commander? Officer? What sort of sights do you like best? Do a little research and find out the pluses and minuses of each. Doesn't do much good to pick up a bargain on a GI model 5 inch then have to change out the sights, beavertail, trigger, checker the front strap, etc. to get what you'd like. How important is the ultimate trigger…heck, what does "the ultimate trigger" feel like to you? Do you want to help put your gunsmith's child through private school or do you know enough to fit some basic parts and keep it running well.

Problem with 1911s is that they are kind of addicting so enjoy the ride. The more you know, the more fun you'll have.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom