2014 Fitness

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    RSChick you mentioned no coffee. Does coffee effect metabolism? I dropped a ton of weight a few years ago, and have slowly gained more back than I would like. Have read about coffee positively and negatively effecting metabolism. I think I'm in the later. Do you have an opinion?

Coffee is one of the best substances you can put in your body. Its full of antioxidants, helps the immune system, and boosts your metabolism. Also, for men, it helps with prostate stuff.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Coffee is one of the best substances you can put in your body. Its full of antioxidants, helps the immune system, and boosts your metabolism. Also, for men, it helps with prostate stuff.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4
    Above all else, clean diet with few cheat meals for that mental boost help me stay on my goals.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

This is true, but I'm detoxing my body right now and can't do coffee for the first few weeks. I've just been sticking to hot tea.

While it's filled with antioxidants, caffeine in coffee increases your stress hormones. The stress response elicits cortisol and increases insulin, which increases inflammation and this makes you feel lousy. Can lead to high blood sugar levels which cause arterial deterioration and increased risk of mortality related to cardiovascular disease. And it's really acidic. There's other research out there and there's no doubt I'll be drinking coffee again in a month or so, but definitely not as much.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    ^^^^^^^^Ok, so it's not just the price of k-cups...got it.^^^^^^^^^^:mamoru:

For someone who used to buy at least 1, sometimes 2, large coffees a day every day during the week, I'm ok with the price of KCups. They come out to $0.50-$0.60/cup and I'm getting the same Community Coffee in my kitchen that I would be getting at their store.

Last edited:

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For someone who used to buy at least 1, sometimes 2, large coffees a day every day during the week, I'm ok with the price of KCups. They come out to $0.50-$0.60/cup and I'm getting the same Community Coffee in my kitchen that I would be getting at their store.

Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing you a bit. I do appreciate your and Austin's input about coffee. IMO you are on of the go to fitness gurus around here. I've only started drinking coffee in the last year or so(don't know how I lived w/o it) and have been curious how it may or may not effect weight gain. Glad to see you like your new Keurig.

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    pick up one of these last month
    IMG-20131216-00169_zpseb69a9aa.jpg

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    RSChick you mentioned no coffee. Does coffee effect metabolism? I dropped a ton of weight a few years ago, and have slowly gained more back than I would like. Have read about coffee positively and negatively effecting metabolism. I think I'm in the later. Do you have an opinion?

From what I remember caffeine stimulates Gastrin which increases stomach motility.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing you a bit. I do appreciate your and Austin's input about coffee. IMO you are on of the go to fitness gurus around here. I've only started drinking coffee in the last year or so(don't know how I lived w/o it) and have been curious how it may or may not effect weight gain. Glad to see you like your new Keurig.

:) If you ever have any fitness related questions, feel free to drop me a PM. I am rather knowledgeable on the subject and wouldn't mind helping out!!

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Just trying to bulk up some, starting since last August. Went from 135 to 155 at the start of December, now dropped back down to a bit under 150 due to 6 weeks of too busy to hit the gym / under the weather / family. Would love to hit 170 by June, but I'm not holding my breath

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Quit the teasing it's no bueno. But for real, holler if you need help with anything or have questions. Meal planning, food prep, cooking, Crossfit, fitness, anything. Ask away.

(Don't listen to Austin he just pretends to workout).

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Made a lifestyle change June 26 of last year. Started eating healthy and much less. I was at 282lbs, XXL shirt, 42" pants 160/96 BP. Today I am down to 198lbs, LG shirt, 34" pants, and my BP is usually around 118/60. Started going to the gym the last week of December. I'd like to get down to 180 and start packing on more muscle. So far I'm really enjoying my time in the gym. My goal is to keep up what I've been doing and stay healthy.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Well, I was doing great for a while, dropped a lot of weight but then.......my gym closed so I said screw it. The only other gym near me is super crowded and wasn't comfortable going there and I gained all my weight back plus some im pretty sure. So I ordered a treadmill, bench and dumbbells yesterday... most exercises can be done with that. I am going to give paleo a shot.

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I learned from experience some time ago the fad diets only work for a short period of time. Most people loose the weight they want, but easily put it back on like I did.

I have moved on to the concept of move more, eat better/less. I cut back my calorie intake and am making better choices about the food I eat. I setup a home gym with a treadmill, free weight, and a heavy bag. The point is to burn more than I take in and I have been pretty successful so far.

I use the body media band to help me track my activities, and if anything else it is just a reminder of what I am trying to accomplish. it has been all about a change of lifestyle. So farit has paid off and I have dropped 18 pounds in about 5 weeks.

Top Bottom