2014 Fitness

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I am trying to "bulk" but not just get big...I am more on getting cut right now. I am working on getting stronger more than anything. So food wise it means a decent protein intake, creatine, and slightly less carbs than before. One more week of that and then I am going to work really hard on getting bigger for About 5 weeks. After that I need to start running and getting ready for my race (so I will cut body fat and maybe a little muscle). All of that will get me looking nice for beach weather!!

I am around 150 right now but am only 5 ft 7.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

I hear you. Putting on fat is luckily something my body more or less doesn't do (have been at about 10-12% bf from 135 through present), so I'm just kind of stuffing my face as best I can. What distance race? Really need to get back into regularly doing cardio for health at some point, just don't want the concordant jump in metabolism

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I hear you. Putting on fat is luckily something my body more or less doesn't do (have been at about 10-12% bf from 135 through present), so I'm just kind of stuffing my face as best I can. What distance race? Really need to get back into regularly doing cardio for health at some point, just don't want the concordant jump in metabolism

20 biking, 10 running, 7 canoeing. July 19th

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    If I am getting fast food, I ensure that it is properly delicious and unhealthy. I always get something with ice cream, peanut butter, and lots of chocolate!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

You're 20, 5'7, and weigh 150lbs. I was that size when I graduated 8th grade in 1990 (I was 13).

When I was your age I was 6'1 and around 165lb. I would love to be that size again.

JR1572

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You're 20, 5'7, and weigh 150lbs. I was that size when I graduated 8th grade in 1990 (I was 13).

When I was your age I was 6'1 and around 165lb. I would love to be that size again.

JR1572

Yeah? I'm short. I have been 5'7 since I was 13 haha. I was 140 back three years ago too!! 5% body fat at the time.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I keep seeing references to clean diets, complex carbs, and protein intake...... What in the Hell is a clean diet? What's the difference between a complex carb and a regular carb? How do I know how much protein, calories, and whatever else it is y'all measure I should have? Sorry about all the ridiculous questions, but I know that diet is one of my problems. I'm a good little Cajun boy and I eat like one. Rice or potatoes are cooked almost every night at my house and I indulge in a few beers each night after work. Any good websites out there to research and plan a better diet?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I keep seeing references to clean diets, complex carbs, and protein intake...... What in the Hell is a clean diet? What's the difference between a complex carb and a regular carb? How do I know how much protein, calories, and whatever else it is y'all measure I should have? Sorry about all the ridiculous questions, but I know that diet is one of my problems. I'm a good little Cajun boy and I eat like one. Rice or potatoes are cooked almost every night at my house and I indulge in a few beers each night after work. Any good websites out there to research and plan a better diet?

Eating clean varies on opinions, but the consensus as far as my understanding is it follows seven basic principles.

1. Choose whole, natural foods and eliminate processed foods (anything in a box, bag, can, packaging, etc. except for veggies that may come in a bag)

2. Unrefined over refined (whole grains like brown rice and quinoa, beans and legumes, clean sugars like honey)

3. Include protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal (protein at EVERY meal is the most important)

4. Watch out for fat, salt and sugar (processed foods hide the majority of consumed excess calories, high levels of fat, sugar and salt; clean foods are naturally low in all of these)

5. Eat five to six small meals throughout the day (usually three main meals and two hefty snacks)

6. Don't drink your calories (stay away from specialty coffees, soft drinks, sweet tea, etc. these can tack on 400-500 extra calories a day)

7. Exercise (physical activity is a must; decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and burn more energy at rest)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?119111-Beginner-s-Health-and-Fitness-Guide

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

MensHealth.com - Read the stuff they post on there and subscribe to their monthly magazine. Seriously, you will learn A LOT! Muscle and Fitness is a good magazine too, but I feel like they try to push sponsored crap too much. Mens Health (and Women's Health if that's you) has mostly unbiased info and most of it is a good read too!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Eating clean varies on opinions, but the consensus as far as my understanding is it follows seven basic principles.

1. Choose whole, natural foods and eliminate processed foods (anything in a box, bag, can, packaging, etc. except for veggies that may come in a bag)
    An easy way to remember this one is to just try to stick away from man-made crap.

2. Unrefined over refined (whole grains like brown rice and quinoa, beans and legumes, clean sugars like honey)

3. Include protein, carbohydrate and fat at every meal (protein at EVERY meal is the most important)
    Protein means lots of meat. Yum.

4. Watch out for fat, salt and sugar (processed foods hide the majority of consumed excess calories, high levels of fat, sugar and salt; clean foods are naturally low in all of these)
    Don't try to cut out on fats though. Fats help keep you full longer and are essential to muscle growth.

5. Eat five to six small meals throughout the day (usually three main meals and two hefty snacks)
    Yes.

6. Don't drink your calories (stay away from specialty coffees, soft drinks, sweet tea, etc. these can tack on 400-500 extra calories a day)
    But she doesn't mean stay away from coffee - just coffee that has crap added to it.

7. Exercise (physical activity is a must; decrease fat, strengthen and build muscle, and burn more energy at rest)
    Lots and lots

I added some ad-lib to her list. One thing that she didn't mention that is SUPER important in ANY diet is sleep. You need to get enough sleep. You need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. Any more or less is bad. Also, if you are just starting at looking at cleaning up your diet, look at breakfast first. If you aren't eating breakfast, start eating a good breakfast (eggs and a lean protein and maybe a complex carb). If you are eating breakfast, try to clean it up a little bit. If you find yourself eating out for lunch everyday, stop and try to bring something. Baby steps are the way to go. Going from zero to hero just doesn't work for most people.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm down 6lbs in 2 weeks with just diet..... I really wouldn't call it a diet... im eating way more than I use 2, just making healthy choices. Eating fish 5 times a week and the other 2 days chicken or pork. Not eating after 8 and drinking lots of water. Its not really all that hard.
    I did order a treadmill, dumbbells, and a bench. They came in a few days ago, exercised 2 times so far. Kinda sore but I am looking for more exercises I can do with dumbbells. Don't want to get bored doing the same things over and over.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm down 6lbs in 2 weeks with just diet..... I really wouldn't call it a diet... im eating way more than I use 2, just making healthy choices. Eating fish 5 times a week and the other 2 days chicken or pork. Not eating after 8 and drinking lots of water. Its not really all that hard.
    I did order a treadmill, dumbbells, and a bench. They came in a few days ago, exercised 2 times so far. Kinda sore but I am looking for more exercises I can do with dumbbells. Don't want to get bored doing the same things over and over.

Try out P90X. If that's too hard...I know I sound like a broken record...look at Men's Health . com. They have lists, upon lists, upon lists, of exercises that you can do with free weights.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I went home this past weekend to my parents' house and my mom told me I was eating too much. She said she was "concerned" with what I had for breakfast (it was a protein/meal replacement shake, 1.5 hard boiled eggs and 2 cups of fresh veggies).

It's very true that you can eat more and weigh less.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    back on my diet. back to lifting. i'm on week 4 of a 12 week olympic lifting program.

lifts are going back up. 405 DL, 315 HBBS.

once i'm through i'll find another program and also incorporate some short (sub 10 min) wods.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    back on my diet. back to lifting. i'm on week 4 of a 12 week olympic lifting program.

lifts are going back up. 405 DL, 315 HBBS.

once i'm through i'll find another program and also incorporate some short (sub 10 min) wods.

That's a very impressive dead lift dude. I started benching last week and was pumped that I can still rep 205!!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Bcomeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Day 35 of insanity 20 lbs down. I repeated the last week of month 1 so my girlfriend could catch up and to get in a little better shape. I hear month 2 gets really tough.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Day 35 of insanity 20 lbs down. I repeated the last week of month 1 so my girlfriend could catch up and to get in a little better shape. I hear month 2 gets really tough.

The maximum interval stuff is pretty intense. So yes.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Top Bottom