Animals in a survival situation?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matholley

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I can understand the interest in having a dog that is alert and barks at visitors, however, if I were on the prowl for food and heard a dog barking from inside a house, it would indicate to me there may be people inside. People = food.
    I would stick with the larger dogs and hard floors. Stop clipping their nails and when they get up and start prancing around you will hear them.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    My great dane is a VERY scary critter 135pounds and moves like a raptor and she can pack more weight then me easy. I think she'd be very handy I'll see if I can't find a picture :)

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    There are more of us than you think. :) Here's my girl. She's 12 1/2 yo. And yes, we wish for 20 years+ don't we?

IMG00044-20100124-1610.jpg

scottybaw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I refuse to have any dog that is under 90 pounds. They need to be able to stop an intruder. I am very lucky to own a mutt who is a cross between an Italtian Mastiff and an American Pitbull Terrier. He is big and sweet to those he knows and is smart enough to know who the bad guys are. If I am relaxed then he is and if I am angry or nervous he gets serious realy fast.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
      IMG_1346.jpg
      215.2 KB · Views: 53

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Well, living on a farm and a dog rescue (swampypaws.org soon!), we have a lot of animals, including 24 dogs (by last count). Our 2 cats are yard cats, they hunt mice and little rodents, and are Extremely useful, but they're definitely not pets. I'd keep them for shelting in place (which is our plan since we're in a decent spot to do it). Also, if you can feed the pack while being self sustaining (not many can do this, but you could if you Really wanted to), its a very good idea to have multiple dogs for different jobs. for example:

Fighters/ security:
    Bailey. Hound pit mix, 65lbs but the nastiest little scrapper we have. Ive seen her whip 120lb dogs and put a full grown man up a tree.
    bmhgdl8ghtvylxszum.jpg
    The General. 140lb male Great Dane. He's a war dog through and through. I would train him if we were keeping him much longer. You should hear his bark lol, it's intimidating.
    47ybiyuvh31kaipvycco.jpg

Hunters:
    Lady and Boudeaux: Male and femal walker hounds, lady is the browner one. Boudreaux is champion stock, and he's a Fine dog.
    vrnb7dywco61r8lx0b.jpg
    nnnnxnsfbb7jg3hfjdf.jpg

Herders:
    We have goats, and our neighbors have cattle. There is a large 40 acre pasture next to us and we'd likely turn our goats out to graze there. Therefore, Gizmo. She's an Austrailian Shephard and registered with American Stock Dog. Her whole family were herding dogs and I picked her cause she looked to be the smartest. Besides a tendancy to terrorize the goats she's a great herder, its in her blood. I wish I had another just like her.
    coby94nfu0ht1mbzjbum.jpg

442shooter

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    prairieville
    i will definitly be keeping my 3 GSD's and my lab. its alot of mouths but the satisfaction of knowing im going to be alerted and safer is worth it to me. not to mention they are my babys!

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Well I wasn't going to do it, but since everyone else put up pictures, here's Koko. 155 pounds of South African Boerboel Mastiff. And since the breed is known for killing lions and other large animals, shes hanging around should the zombies try to take over.
    hogin
    [/URL][/IMG]
    hogin
    [/URL][/IMG]
    hogin
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

ctbourg87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Baker, La
    My spoiled rotten pitbulls. They let you know if somebody is even walking down the street.

Achilles
    IMG_0014.jpg

Buster (pit mix that we rescued from an abused home_
    IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Im talking about mans best friend or cats... domestic inside animals. Are they an asset to have or just another mouth to feed. In a post apocalyptic end of days zombies are walking around type situation:eek3:. I just finished watching 28days later and i didnt see any animals in the vid leading me to wonder whats gonna happen to my puppy!! I see bigger dogs as useful, they could help you hunt and protect depending on what type of dog. I own a Doberman i think it would be more useful to have one than not. What say you knowledgeable BSers! (no i dont think the zombies will walk among us.. my mind just tends to wonder a lot :hs: )

I own 2 cats. They both have their claws and I would keep them around only as much as they wished to be around. Cats can feed themselves, so no skin off my nose. If they wanted to strike out on their own, well, they can climb trees, have very good senses, etc. They are well equipped to survive, probably better so than us humans are.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I still say a 27 foot anaconda is a good deterrent to some sneaky bast-rd trying to get the drop on you. Plus, they only need to eat once every 6 months.

Top Bottom