any advice on booking a goose hunt ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Every year I tell myself I'm going to book a goose hunt and something always comes up . Any info on who to call and what's needed . Son shoots a 870 20g and I'm guessing 3in mags will do the job .

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    A 20 gauge is kind of small for geese, 3 inch magnums or not.

It's not ideal, but I have dropped plenty of geese over the years with a 20 gauge youth model Mossberg 500 . If those geese are dive bombing the spread, it should work. Just aim for the head!

Bradb4178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Ruston / Baton Rouge
    Geese are tough SOB's i would definitely go with something larger. Some of the times the geese don't want to land. Taking a 35 yard shot with a 20ga wont be enough. I went goose hunting few weeks back and we were shooting 10 ga 3 1/2 BB and some geese still took more than one shot to kill. We limited out early but some of those things didnt wanna hit the water. Not saying they are all this tough just some times you have to take the farther shots if they wont sit. The least id shoot would be a 12 ga 3" BB load.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Snows or Specks?
    Time frame?
    Willingness to Travel?
    Budget?

All those matter.

Son shoots a 870 20g and I'm guessing 3in mags will do the job .

He'll need #2 or lower(larger) shot depending on location of the birds.

I know guys who hunt grit pits in the Marsh and allow Specks to land out and walk up to the grit where they shoot them on the ground.(Decoy Range)
    Of course this kind of hunting doesn't take much shot. But as has been mentioned already.
    Pass shooting Geese with a 20 ga? Possible, but not likely or with consistency.
    We've all killed Geese with our 20Ga's as youth, but I've put Geese DOWN with a 12Ga 1¼ oz. #3/#2.
    EVEN STILL, you better not shoot unless you can see their eyes. You'll just be left watching them fly away holding an empty gun.

Here's a nice looking Speck I killed in the 1st split.

ujwc.jpg

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Nice speck Hitman. How do you like that Xtreme? I was looking at shotguns last night and was torn between that one, the Benelli Super Vinci, and SBE 2. I really like the Kick-off recoil reducer and the fact that it is more rust resistant for Louisiana Marshes on the Xtreme, but that Super Vinci sure fit nice..... Even though that is one ugly SOB.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Nice speck Hitman. How do you like that Xtreme? I was looking at shotguns last night and was torn between that one, the Benelli Super Vinci, and SBE 2. I really like the Kick-off recoil reducer and the fact that it is more rust resistant for Louisiana Marshes on the Xtreme, but that Super Vinci sure fit nice..... Even though that is one ugly SOB.

Well you may remember the topics I created about this journey I went on in choosing a new shotgun.
    It lasted 2 years. In that time I shot hundreds of shells through several guns.

My first step was deciding Gas or Inertia.
    Then manufacturer based off of Budget. My budget was HIGH b/c I don't buy Waterfowl Shotguns often.
    So I was buying a gun I plan to hunt with for the next 20 years.

So there is a lot that goes into making a $1500+ gun purchase. Everyone has different criteria.

The two topics;
    Why (I) chose Beretta
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?108270

Beretta A400 Xtreme Optifade Break-in
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?109541

Now since then.
    I've used it for a few Dove Hunts(Muggy Hot, Humid and Wet),
    a dozen or more Duck Hunts(26°, Rainy, Muddy Rice Field and Marsh Hunts)
    and at least 400 Shells on Various Clay ranges with all sort of Low Power Shells.

I could not be more pleased with the gun.
    It performs as advertised(As in every single commercial I've seen about this gun, the gun does exactly THAT)
    -It's light, very fast and is smooth to work with.
    and break down and cleaning is easier than any other (Gas)Auto on the market.
    I believe this gun to be the epitome of Waterfowl Shotguns and the end product of Beretta's very best technology and efforts.

Now, even saying all that. I'd own a Super-Vinci in a heartbeat!
    (Keep in mind, Beretta owns Benelli, so you're getting the same Quality)[Berreta= Gas Driven~/~Benelli=Inertia Driven]
    Like you said, that gun is uuuuugly. lol But man does it fit great. It is also one of THE only guns that I can blind/point and it be dead on every time.
    (as in looking at a spot on the wall, closing your eyes and throwing the gun up and when you open your eyes it's on point)

I just didn't like the look.....couldn't get past it.
    Plus I wanted a Gas Gun.

I shot a few boxes through an SEBII last year and I couldn't hit crap with it.
    It also left me sore for 3 days after one particular hunt where I ran through a box or more of 3½" Hevi-Shot.

So I went Beretta Gas, I love it, and it's been a fantastic endeavor.

/

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That's good stuff, HM!

For my research, I just went to Argentina and shot over 5000 shells through the outfitter's Beretta's (of which had to have been used by dozens of hunters before me and tens of thousands more shells), with only 5 jams the entire trip.

Test results: Beretta! Passed!

In fact, if I hadn't grown up on Remington 1100's my entire younger life; I would throw them (the 1100's), in the garbage to make room for more Beretta's!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Wow.... Thanks for the info HM. I've been shooting a Beretta 3901 this season and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunately it's for the wife. The salesman did mention something about the Beretta cycling low powered shells better than the Benelli. I'm guessing that is the gas vs inertia you speak of. I don't shoot low powered very often, but I do expect a $1,600 gun to be as diverse as possible. May be the tipping point I'm looking for. :dunno:

Watch that tone when speaking about the 1100's Emperor! :p That's probably my favorite skeet gun I have. When I point the barrel at it, the clays just break. If only mine shot 3" shells I wouldn't need another shotgun. That one would be in the blind with me every morning.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Watch that tone when speaking about the 1100's Emperor! :p That's probably my favorite skeet gun I have. When I point the barrel at it, the clays just break. If only mine shot 3" shells I wouldn't need another shotgun. That one would be in the blind with me every morning.

I still have a place in my heart for them. I did cut my teeth on them, and still use them a little for wabbits. Maybe I am too hard on them, cause they are 30 years old, and just don't have the same old reliability they used to.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've got a 72' Rem. 1100 that I've polished up the Trigger Mechanism real good in with a 30" Barrel.

Like you said, I just point and shoot and watch the dust ...POOF!

Runs silky smooth and solid.

If you find yours has a FTE/FTF, just drop $20 on a new set of rings and it'll work like a charm.

Classic American Firearm right there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom