Anyone have any R-22?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Or know a buddy that could add some to my home a/c? My a/c is cooling, but not as good as needed. Money is tight since school starting, fees, uniforms, shoes and now my truck battery died. I'm in the Watson area if anyone knows someone who could help me out. Thanks

Bam Bam

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    @ $350.00 a 30 lbs. drum, gunna have to be a GOOD friend :D

I hope someone can hook you up though.

Either way, last time I had a guy come put some in mine, it was around $120 total I think. Not too bad when it comes between HEAT or Cool Air.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Changed a/c filter which was very dirty and washed out a/c could, after this the inside temp dropped 2 degrees but I contributed this to getting the coils wet. I checked my pressures and I can't tell much about them since I'm not familiar with a R-22 system. High side was around 260 while low was 70ish. The suction line was cold but not super cold, coils were clean. Any ideas,???

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Your unit is on the west side of the house , right ? Probably catching some brutal afternoon sun . I'm not an A/C guy but those pressures don't sound too terrible . Anybody else know ?

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Changed a/c filter which was very dirty and washed out a/c could, after this the inside temp dropped 2 degrees but I contributed this to getting the coils wet. I checked my pressures and I can't tell much about them since I'm not familiar with a R-22 system. High side was around 260 while low was 70ish. The suction line was cold but not super cold, coils were clean. Any ideas,???

That's about right, head pressure is a little high. It's not low on freon if suction is 70. It probably wasn't cooling because your filter was plugged. You need to change it at least ounce a month.

mdr

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have a friend that lives in Watson. He is an AC man. He can help you for cheap. PM me if interested.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Now I can't explain that exact process lol but I know it happens. ;)

Then my father-n-law comes over(ONLY since I'm married to his daughter :p )
    and puts freon in our unit. Then no more freezing, and cold A/C follows lol

Our's gets low every 3 years. Never have been able to find the leak.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Have you cleaned both sets of coils? The interior condenser, as well as the exterior evaporator? I've seen people who faithfully clean the exterior evaporator coils, but the interior condenser coils(usually "A Coils") are all clogged up on the underside. Pet hair, dryer lint, and all the other fun stuff floating around can be a condenser coils worst nightmare.
    If you had a two degree temperature drop, and only cleaned one set, your high head could be coming from the other coil.
    If the unit hasn't frozen up yet, I'd doubt it was very low on charge. Do you have a thermometer you can use to check your temperature at the return and supply.
    Usually, on a vast majority of systems, your looking for a 20 degree "split" between the two. Measure your air going into the return, and the air coming from your vents. On an older unit or an older,poorly insulated home, 15ish or higher would satisfy me, with proper pressures.
    If you are getting a 20ish degree split, your system is most likely doing everything it can with the heat, and you may have to devise a way to lower the heat load.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    We had the same issue here in Metairie.
    I finally broke down and replaced everything.
    The final bill sucked, but well worth it.
    Before change, running both units $350 in summer months.
    After, running 1 Carrier unit zoned - my highest bill was this month $187

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    Have you cleaned both sets of coils? The interior condenser, as well as the exterior evaporator? I've seen people who faithfully clean the exterior evaporator coils, but the interior condenser coils(usually "A Coils") are all clogged up on the underside. Pet hair, dryer lint, and all the other fun stuff floating around can be a condenser coils worst nightmare.
    If you had a two degree temperature drop, and only cleaned one set, your high head could be coming from the other coil.
    If the unit hasn't frozen up yet, I'd doubt it was very low on charge. Do you have a thermometer you can use to check your temperature at the return and supply.
    Usually, on a vast majority of systems, your looking for a 20 degree "split" between the two. Measure your air going into the return, and the air coming from your vents. On an older unit or an older,poorly insulated home, 15ish or higher would satisfy me, with proper pressures.
    If you are getting a 20ish degree split, your system is most likely doing everything it can with the heat, and you may have to devise a way to lower the heat load.

The inside coil is the evaporator, the out coil is the condensor, you should never have to clean the evaporator if you keep a clean filter and you return air is sealed properly. You can't go by temp split alone there are many factors that go into that humidity being one.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

When I bought this house a few years ago the home inspector measure the temp @ the vents, he said the temp difference was marginal but OK at that time, something like 12-15 degrees on a July day. He suggested having someone look at it in the future if it doesn't cool well. Its been doing fine until lately, but my electric bill is getting pretty high too, its now hitting $180 for a small 3b 2b house. My previous house twice this size electric bill was never that high.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Bam Bam

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    With thermostat set on 75 inside temp was 79.5. After changing filter and flushing coils temp dropped to 77.0. Temp is starting to climb up again.

Let it run over nite to see if it catches up. If not check your pressures again in the morning and post them, let know what you got. If your suction pressure is below 60 psi it's close to freezing. Make sure your indoor blower isn't cutting out, that will make it freeze up also. Also make sure your condensor is running all the time and not cutting out too. You could be having an interment-ant problem. But most likely your problem was due to low air flow from your plugged filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom