backpacking food

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Maybe just a bag of beans and rice, split pea soup, stuff like that where you control the ingredients yourself and is easy to cook and keep hot all day? Don't have to use onions if you don't want, but pickled pork sure helps and also easy to store and carry.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    MRE's are great (well, not great, they're heavy, bulky, and nasty but you can survive on them...) if you have a 5 ton or chopper delivering them! We're talking about hiking 10 miles a day then cooking. Cinder blocks and cast iron pots are not going in my pack! :)
    I'm looking for good tasting foood that is similar to what people in LA eat. Most of the pre-packaged freeze dried meals are either vegetarian, tofu, soybean concoctions like they eat in Kommifornia or loaded in onions.
    I used to do zatarans jambalaya with summer sausage added (onion issues again). Frozen steaks are good for the first night if a bit heavy. Grilled smoked sausage in tortillas crossed my mind as did shish ka bobs (packaged musrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers) with either steak or sausage.
    I was going to talk to Jacob's Andouille about some non-refrigerated smoked sausage. That should keep a few days in cool weather.

Powdered pancakes are easy but I'd be just as happy w/ poptarts and hot chocolate (or apple cider mix) and get on the trail earlier.

I usually snack on gorp during the hike (nuts, raisins, m&m's of different types, some freeze dried fruit, etc.). Lunch is usually cheese and crackers or something similar.

We're working on a black creek trail trip. Looks like the trail is open and clear again! Eventually another NC trip would be fun...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Okay, probably so. I was thinking of them because of weight and space they take up. Are you referring to calorie intake among other things? I am pretty sure our armed forces did okay on them with for a good while though.

Have you ever gone backpacking before?

Keep the MRE's next to your tin foil hat. There are far better, lighter, healthier, and simpler meals out there.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Have you ever gone backpacking before?

Keep the MRE's next to your tin foil hat. There are far better, lighter, healthier, and simpler meals out there.

Yes I have. And the mre's served me well along with the fish and game I harvested along the way for a week at a time. But, what works for me may not work for others. As far as the tin foil hat, I dont have one since I live in the "real world" since I have actually been there and done that! I dont need all the necessities of "home cooked" meals since I can manage to live off of what I or nature provides. I am not a "spoiled" survivalist. It does not need to taste good to sustain my well being, just as long as it keeps me "operating".

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Again, Dave, quit being a yuppie for a minute and enjoy the lesser things in life... I don't know how potted meat and saltines isn't enjoyed by all!

I like me some potted meat, saltines, and vienna sausages! Back in the day when times were tight money wise, sometimes thats all the family could afford to provide for all of us to eat and survive.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Again, Dave, quit being a yuppie for a minute and enjoy the lesser things in life... I don't know how potted meat and saltines isn't enjoyed by all!

Carrying 1 lb of beef into the forest and cooking it over a fire IS a lesser thing in life.
    My filet from Keith Young's the other night, was not.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Strictly packing on the hoof, just remember the important things. A good carb and protein source. Couple cans of tuna, small jar of peanut butter, squeeze bottle of honey, jerky and cheese, whatever. 3-4 days and a plan to hunt or forage and a small mess/cooking kit is nice, along with seasoning and some rice and/or pasta and beans will go a long way when adding in wild game. And don't forget a few ounces of veg oil. You need some fat wit dat!
    Back to the canned goods, forget soup. As good and comforting as it is, no real caloric value for what you have to carry. Mostly water.
    Any decent woodsman should be able to get all the water he needs in the wild. As long as you have something to cook in and some sort of receptacle to hold liquid, even a ziplock bag, you can do fine.
    And speaking of tin foil...I never made a hat, but I do keep a few square feet of the heavy duty folded neat in my pack. Any piece of meat, on or off the bone, when seasoned up and wrapped in foil it cooks great in a bed of coals.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Strictly packing on the hoof, just remember the important things. A good carb and protein source. Couple cans of tuna, small jar of peanut butter, squeeze bottle of honey, jerky and cheese, whatever. 3-4 days and a plan to hunt or forage and a small mess/cooking kit is nice, along with seasoning and some rice and/or pasta and beans will go a long way when adding in wild game. And don't forget a few ounces of veg oil. You need some fat wit dat!
    Back to the canned goods, forget soup. As good and comforting as it is, no real caloric value for what you have to carry. Mostly water.
    Any decent woodsman should be able to get all the water he needs in the wild. As long as you have something to cook in and some sort of receptacle to hold liquid, even a ziplock bag, you can do fine.
    And speaking of tin foil...I never made a hat, but I do keep a few square feet of the heavy duty folded neat in my pack. Any piece of meat, on or off the bone, when seasoned up and wrapped in foil it cooks great in a bed of coals.

Are we talking about backpacking or survival?

Because I'm fairly certain the OP is asking about backpacking.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Are we talking about backpacking or survival?

Because I'm fairly certain the OP is asking about backpacking.
    I reckon if a person is gonna go hike for the day a pack of M&M's and a slim Jim would work...or maybe some would prefer skittles and tea.
    But if you're backpacking for a couple three nights in the woods, which was my understanding of the OP's intent, that's not exactly overkill.
    I can't imagine anyone intending on walking into the wilderness with simply what he can carry on his back for "a long weekend" and not expect to have to forage or hunt for a portion of his fare.
    After countless trips since my teenhood doing the same, I don't think I wanna try that.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I reckon if a person is gonna go hike for the day a pack of M&M's and a slim Jim would work...or maybe some would prefer skittles and tea.
    But if you're backpacking for a couple three nights in the woods, which was my understanding of the OP's intent, that's not exactly overkill.
    I can't imagine anyone intending on walking into the wilderness with simply what he can carry on his back for "a long weekend" and not expect to have to forage or hunt for a portion of his fare.
    After countless trips since my teenhood doing the same, I don't think I wanna try that.

I've never had a need to trap/hunt game while backpacking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom