backpacking food

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I reckon if a person is gonna go hike for the day a pack of M&M's and a slim Jim would work...or maybe some would prefer skittles and tea.
    But if you're backpacking for a couple three nights in the woods, which was my understanding of the OP's intent, that's not exactly overkill.
    I can't imagine anyone intending on walking into the wilderness with simply what he can carry on his back for "a long weekend" and not expect to have to forage or hunt for a portion of his fare.
    After countless trips since my teenhood doing the same, I don't think I wanna try that.

I thought it was 'skittles and beer'?
    And no I have no plans to forage! after a long hike with a 40+ pound pack the last thing on my mind is foraging. I've fished a bit but that was for fun or for fresh fish, not for survival. I want good filling food after a long hike, not having to trap a flea bitten squirrel for a bit of meat!
    The purpose of backpacking is to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with friends.
    and with modern gear it is certainly possible to enjoy a long weekend with just what's on your back. Actually, with mail drops hikers go from georgia to maine nonstop without foraging a bit... not my idea of fun but to each his own. (The Canoil trail looks interesting though- it would take about a month though).

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Strictly packing on the hoof, just remember the important things. A good carb and protein source. Couple cans of tuna, small jar of peanut butter, squeeze bottle of honey, jerky and cheese, whatever. 3-4 days and a plan to hunt or forage and a small mess/cooking kit is nice, along with seasoning and some rice and/or pasta and beans will go a long way when adding in wild game. And don't forget a few ounces of veg oil. You need some fat wit dat!
    Back to the canned goods, forget soup. As good and comforting as it is, no real caloric value for what you have to carry. Mostly water.
    Any decent woodsman should be able to get all the water he needs in the wild. As long as you have something to cook in and some sort of receptacle to hold liquid, even a ziplock bag, you can do fine.
    And speaking of tin foil...I never made a hat, but I do keep a few square feet of the heavy duty folded neat in my pack. Any piece of meat, on or off the bone, when seasoned up and wrapped in foil it cooks great in a bed of coals.
    There ya go!
    Don't let these yuppie hikers beat you down! Catch it ,Clean it, Eat it!
    Laugh at them for humping 25# of tofu....

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I thought it was 'skittles and beer'?
    And no I have no plans to forage! after a long hike with a 40+ pound pack the last thing on my mind is foraging. I've fished a bit but that was for fun or for fresh fish, not for survival. I want good filling food after a long hike, not having to trap a flea bitten squirrel for a bit of meat!
    The purpose of backpacking is to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with friends.
    and with modern gear it is certainly possible to enjoy a long weekend with just what's on your back. Actually, with mail drops hikers go from georgia to maine nonstop without foraging a bit... not my idea of fun but to each his own. (The Canoil trail looks interesting though- it would take about a month though).

I'm fairly sure these old timers don't understand what we mean by "backpacking."

I try not to use the word camping anymore, because people are so lazy in their thought process that they assume I mean a trailer at a RV park.

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    Actually, with mail drops hikers go from georgia to maine nonstop without foraging a bit... not my idea of fun but to each his own. (The Canoil trail looks interesting though- it would take about a month though).

A good friend of mine, his gf, and dog did the Appalachian trail a few years back and documented the whole thing. Pretty good video if you want to check it out: The climb to Katahdin. They planned for months in advance packing mail drops, and extra gear. I would love to be able to do it... If only I was a hippy.

There ya go!

LOL, I have to agree with LACamper here. After humping 20 miles with a pack, I'm not doing anything.

I'm fairly sure these old timers don't understand what we mean by "backpacking."

I try not to use the word camping anymore, because people are so lazy in their thought process that they assume I mean a trailer at a RV park.

Ha, haven't done it in a couple years, but this whole conversation is going to make me dust the tent off and go camping for new years. It used to be a tradition.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    LACamper, as an aside, I found good to go foods while at NOC in Gatlinburg. Backpacker in BR sells them. They are REALLY tasty for a dehydrated meal.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There ya go!
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they enjoy being in the wild as much as I do, but are just a little too soft and have no wish to rough it. It's all good. I like my way for the challenge and keeping my skills up. I ain't no Bear Gillis (or whatever his name is) but I manage.

It's funny tho, how when you try to give a little info or encouragement someone will get the sandy vagina syndrome and have to whine. Sure hope they cover that thing up when they're out .....backpacking. Lotta grit out there.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Good for you

You're the one who brought it up, and it's funny how you just "can't imagine" it. Do you know how many people have thru-hiked the AT or PCT without "foraging?"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they enjoy being in the wild as much as I do, but are just a little too soft and have no wish to rough it.

Hey, if you enjoy sleeping on dirt, by all means... have at it. That's more in the realm of bushcraft and wilderness survival than backpacking.

Sure hope they cover that thing up when they're out .....backpacking. Lotta grit out there.

The title of the thread is "backpacking food" and the OP mentioned backpacking multiple times. I'm sorry we don't share your fantasies about preparing for the apocalypse and foraging for nuts and berries, but you're essentially talking about AK's in a thread about AR's.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Check out www.packitgourmet.com They sell lots of dehydrated or freeze dried meals for backpacking and also sell individual ingredients so you can make up your own meals. You can also buy the book Freezer Bag Cooking which has tons of info on making your own "just add water" backpacking meals.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    On my last trip I mainly ate Mountain House meals but also brought some summer sausage, cheese, and tortillas to make wraps for lunch. Was nice change of pace and plenty of calories for 3 lunches.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You're the one who brought it up, and it's funny how you just "can't imagine" it. Do you know how many people have thru-hiked the AT or PCT without "foraging?"

Hey, if you enjoy sleeping on dirt, by all means... have at it. That's more in the realm of bushcraft and wilderness survival than backpacking.

The title of the thread is "backpacking food" and the OP mentioned backpacking multiple times. I'm sorry we don't share your fantasies about preparing for the apocalypse and foraging for nuts and berries, but you're essentially talking about AK's in a thread about AR's.

Jeezers Dave. Have a drink or something bro

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Plus 1 for summer sausage and cheese, tuna in foil packs, crackers, you can freeze grapes if there in season and they will last a couple days, protein bars ( if it's warm they will melt), rice with a home made season packet is fast and easy to cook over fire. A box of jambalaya mix can also be cooked, toss in some summer sausage and yes sir that's good. If you have room for anything then coffee is a must in my book, even if it's instant.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    LMAO!

Ok Dave, I can admit when I'm wrong. I take back what I said about having a drink. Looks like you've had quite enough.

I was gonna let it slip, but since you had to edit your post and be a ****, I guess I'll just say it...

Don't like what I post?

200.gif

Plus 1 for summer sausage and cheese, tuna in foil packs, crackers, you can freeze grapes if there in season and they will last a couple days, protein bars ( if it's warm they will melt), rice with a home made season packet is fast and easy to cook over fire. A box of jambalaya mix can also be cooked, toss in some summer sausage and yes sir that's good. If you have room for anything then coffee is a must in my book, even if it's instant.

Summer Sausage (or any cured meats)
    Tuna Packs
    Canned Chicken (although not my favorite thing)
    Instant Rice
    Instant Grits
    Instant Oatmeal
    Just Add Water Pancakes
    Pasta
    Easy-Mac Packs
    Instant Coffee
    Hot Chocolate
    Powdered Beverages

The list goes on and on. You can eat whatever you want so long as you pack it in.

The next trip I make will involve tin foil packs to cook in the fire.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Guys, OP cant have onion. The prepackaged stuff wont work for him.

The only, economical and logical option, is for him to dry his own food and prep his own seasonings. Doing this he will need to carry/purify lots of water. Give him some sources/links. Geez.

I use Sawyer purifiers. Below is a decent unit for small batches of food, and its on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...20&gclid=CLG78orI4NACFTToMgod4-MJrA&gclsrc=ds

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was gonna let it slip, but since you had to edit your post and be a ****, I guess I'll just say it...

Don't like what I post?

200.gif
    Oh Dave, I never said I didn't like what you post. In fact, I don't think I've ever made one negative remark about anything you've ever posted that wasn't in response to something directed at me. I can see I should let it rest now since you've resorted to name calling, but I just can't help it. You just make it so much fun. You just keep coming back for more. I do have to admire your determination. I'm sure it will serve you well when you grow up.
    By the way, what's a ****?

Top Bottom