ban on M855 ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Criminals prefer handguns that can be concealed. AR "handguns" are large and awkward. Mr Gun Gestapo Directer left that part out in his misleading testimony. He knows better, but does not believe his own lies. Why must we continue to let these greedy bureaucrats line their pockets at our expense? We do not need his services at all. He is nothing but a parasite.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    ATF raises new concerns about AR-15 ammo

By Paul BedardPublished March 13, 2015
    Facebook176 Twitter86 Email Print
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives on Thursday raised new concerns about surplus military ammo used in popular AR-15 rifles and pistols just days after pulling back on a proposal to ban the ammo because it could threaten police safety.

In a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, ATF Director B. Todd Jones said all types of the 5.56 military-style ammo used by shooters pose a threat to police as more people buy the AR-15-style pistols.

"Any 5.56 round" is "a challenge for officer safety," he said. Jones asked lawmakers to help in a review of a 1986 bill written to protect police from so-called "cop killer" rounds that largely exempted rifle ammo like the 5.56 because it has been used by target shooters, not criminals.

His agency's move to ban the 5.56 M855 version was condemned by the National Rifle Association and majorities in the House and Senate and as a result was pulled back though not abandoned. At the hearing Jones said that nearly 90,000 comments on the proposal were received, many negative.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Any round that is a high power round poses a threat to officer safety in terms of BA piercing capabilities. Any firearm round is a threat to officers that hit outside of BA. Don't read too far into the director's opinion, he does not get to make all the decisions on the matter. I don't see M855 getting banned in the current political climate, much less all 5.56/.223

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I look for them to try to ban FLIR scopes soon

They don't want civilians to own body armor

There are a few things that are "Law Enforcement Only" as it is that really don't make sense.

Hard to have a police state when the civilian population is equipped...

Anyway, my point is, we shouldn't be so concerned about how they try to justify the means. Of course they're going to cheat. They only have to convince people who don't know any better.

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Yeah, that was my thinking. Guess I'm a little late to the party. They're either going after ARs because they're easier to villify and label as unnecessary, which would get their foot in the door, or because going against an army with a handgun is unthinkably stupid.

I'll bet the general public doesn't realize a knife can easily penetrate body armor. Should we ban all sharpened knives as well?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Ban any type of vehicle as well since more people die due to vehicle crashes than shootings by far.

It's not about the gun or even the people killed or hurt. It's about control. And the ability increase control with people not having the ability to defend. A shift towards an even more police-state based system.

Top Bottom