Barney's Indoor Range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JumpmanUSC

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 23, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Went there today to shoot my PX4. They are building an extension towards the front of the store/range and for a moment I thought I wouldn't be able to shoot. Inside, business as usual. Signed in and shot about 150rds before calling it a day. The store is stocked to the hilt with AR15s from Bushy and SW. Shelves were full of traded in pistols- mostly SW, Glock and Sig Sauers. I found the range itself functional but disappointing in appearance. It was ratty looking. Definitely in worse shape than when I last came over a year ago. I started going to Barney's from the day they opened, even signed up as a member for over 5 years. Gave it up when driving to Upper Lafayette became too much of a chore. Here's hoping that once the new addition gets built, they invest some money into improving the range itself.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have to agree with you on this, last year I purchased a year membership and for the last 3 months didnt use it just because of the shape and quality, there were always lane closed or broken equipment, and once I moved out of lafayette never had the need to come back. Not a friendly staff until they find out you know somebody that knows somebody, then they want to be ur buddy and shoot your guns LOL. Any how makes me wish somebody else would have enough $$$$$$ to invest and build us Lafayette/Broussard and surrounding areas a better range like the ones in BR, not much in our area that its indoors. I went about 2 weekends ago with my Gf's brother who is just getting into guns, I usually just shoot at my place since I live out in the woods but he wanted to go to a range due to lots of rain he was a little scared of the mud at my place, and it surprised me about the renovation in fact the sign said open on saturday and sundays but they were actually closed being a saturday, dont know if it was due to the fact that the saints were playing but some of us dont really follow ball games so kinna sucked to load all my toys in the truck for nothing and had to drive back all the way to Breaux Bridge.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ohhhhh I forgot to add to the disapointing experience, I remember just now why I stopped going, got kicked out by one of the managers for shooting aluminum and steel casings, there was only 1 sign at the time that said DO NOT SHOOT ......, and it was not by the bays it was by the counter outside like if I was going to pay attention to that. Every other range I have heard of allows you to shoot pretty much whatever you want, what pissed me off even more that time was that after I made a big deal out of the issue they were KIND enough to offer me "their" ammo at a ridiculous high price.

Sucks to have short term memory sometimes.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    LOL, damm geography :mamoru: sucks when not even the gps can take you there and All Star says "Sir we cant understand you", might be because you dont reside in the south baby girl.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    When I'm in Lafayette on business I always stuff the range bag in the trunk and head out to Barneys after work. Beats killing a few hours at the hotel bar.

Been to worse and been to better ranges. Barneys ain't that bad. Always been treated with courtesy. Range fees in line with my local area. They don't mind I shoot my reloads.

Suprised that for a population size of the Lafayette area there isn't a second range. There might be an outdoor one but I haven't found it yet.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    We have one nicer one at St. Martin Parish Sheriff, but only open to public on 2 days out the week, one around Port Barre but its a little ways out. Sure wish we had another one, it might make Barneys Step up to the plate and invest money in what they actually have to, making the outside look nicer doesnt make the lanes or equipment work any better, they have focused too much in the Police Supply store and installing equipment on vehicles and left the range to pretty much support itself. Sucks when you go shoot, there is nobody at the range and you have to grab a broom and clean the area before you start, specially after paying $17.00 for range fee, I would understand if they were crazy busy and people were waiting in line, but when you have 5 guys up front talking fishing and hunting stories makes you want to ask for your money back.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    We have one nicer one at St. Martin Parish Sheriff, but only open to public on 2 days out the week, one around Port Barre but its a little ways out. Sure wish we had another one, it might make Barneys Step up to the plate and invest money in what they actually have to, making the outside look nicer doesnt make the lanes or equipment work any better, they have focused too much in the Police Supply store and installing equipment on vehicles and left the range to pretty much support itself. Sucks when you go shoot, there is nobody at the range and you have to grab a broom and clean the area before you start, specially after paying $17.00 for range fee, I would understand if they were crazy busy and people were waiting in line, but when you have 5 guys up front talking fishing and hunting stories makes you want to ask for your money back.

Wheres the St. Martin one,is it new? Last time I passed by the old one they were tearing it down. :wtc:

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    No problem. I have wondered about the St. Martin range for years. On the way to Breaux Bridge the other day I see they are finally tearing it down.

I see your from Butte Larose. If you take the levee to New Iberia the franklin range is only 20 minutes or so away. Its free and open almost every day.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have been actually wanting to go for a long time, I lived in Franklin in 2004 but at the time I was shooting at Barney's (dumb mistake) my ex wife's uncle retired as a Deputy Sheriff in St.Mary Parish and he had told me about it but I want to say at the time it was LEO only. Is the St.Mary Parish SO range on Hwy.182 ?????

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Awesome I go to franklin every weekend when I am on land to pick or drop of my son so I can make a stop to release the stress my ex puts me through, lol.

Do they have steel plates, can you shoot handguns and rifles (Ar's, Ak's, etc), shotgun?

Thanks, sorry for any inconvenience about all the questions.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I haven't been there either but I belive Bayouslide or Barney88pdc have been there and could answer those questions better.

archull

indifferent
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have been going to Barney's now for several months. The facilities could use some TLC though. My biggest gripe about them is the lack of ventilation in the ranges. Every time I go I am coughing gun powder for days. You can hardly see with all the smoke in there. They limit you on what you can shoot, many of the target hangers are damaged, and several times the pulleys have jumped track rendering it impossible to move your targets.

I wish that there was another indoor range in the area, they would have a customer with me.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Awesome I go to franklin every weekend when I am on land to pick or drop of my son so I can make a stop to release the stress my ex puts me through, lol.

Do they have steel plates, can you shoot handguns and rifles (Ar's, Ak's, etc), shotgun?

Thanks, sorry for any inconvenience about all the questions.

See http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20892&highlight=st+mary for more info and directions.

They do have steel in the pistol bay but it is very limited and most of the plates are shot up and not flat. I have some concerns about splatter due to some of the plates having some "bowl" shape to them. I have never seen anyone shooting a shotgun. If you wanted to check some slugs say on the rifle range or even pattern a gun I would think that would be GTG but they do not have any Skeet/Trap/Sporting Clay ranges. There is a pistol bay where there is target stands for your use you just bring your own targets. Read the thread I linked and that will probably answer most of your questions.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    The one big steel plate (18 inches maybe?) is a lot of fun at 50 yds.

Range rules say handguns only on steel and no closer than 15 yds. As Barney says, the steel is workable but rather shot up.

It's a pretty nice range with great hours. On the right day, you might even seen a Louisiana black bear on the way in like Barney and I did once (it's adjacent/part of a refuge).

On your first visit, check with the SO on duty to get the rules straight...otherwise he might be paying you a visit on the line. He runs a pretty tight ship and is rather particular about targets and such, as I found when I brought some of my own stands and IPSC targets one time ;)

ragincajun1919

Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I've been a member of Barney's for almost a year now and I can tell you now I WILL NOT be renewing my membership. It is absolutely terrible there. As others have said the ventilation is terrible, the lanes are in poor condition and the people who works there....man oh man... Last time I was there, they informed me they were closed in 5 minutes...that made it 6:40 they were closing instead of the normal 7. They just close whenever they want. It kills me the attitude the employees have there.

I am 24 years old and have some cool toys (mp5, ar15s, M1A, a slew of pistols, 1919a4) and the guys act like I don't know anything about anything. One guy told me he'd show me how to disassemble my MP5 because I probably didn't know how. Seriously annoying to even go there.

And their no steel no aluminum rule is total BS...safety issues? what safety issues? I've never heard of any problems using them. They just don't want to sort it our from the brass when they sell the brass off. Lazy people.

Top Bottom