Boomfab Titane Titanium Bolt Carrier

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm sure it would be negligible on a standard gas block, at least not to the point where you would notice. However, if you were running an adjustable gas block like Jesse was stating, you could fine tune things to where it would recoil just enough to eject and load (plus an extra quarter turn to ensure it would) and between the reduced mass and reduced cycle, it'd probably be next to nothing. I'm sure you could do the same with the JP, but it's made of Unobtainium! :p

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    I was about to say....1.85 ounces lighter than a JP low mass... You think that has any real impact on recoil impulse? (its a serious question, not rhetorical)

I know there is a difference. I've seen it.

When I first started testing these first thing I did was simply pulled the JP carrier out of my Stag 3G and put the Titane in. My first thought was there is a difference but is it enough to matter? I then turned the gas down a 1/2 to 1 turn. number of turns on the adj gas blcok will depend on the adjustable gas block you're using. I then shot my Titane equipped rifle with less gas side-by-side against my JP equipped rifle. I was shooting off hand shots at 50 yards on an MGM targets plate rack. The plates are 8". I could instantly see a significant difference in how much the dot inside my Swarovski reticle moved. Then Keith Garcia came up with the following drill to show what it can do.

Loaded 10 rounds in two mags so weight wasn't an issue.
    Both test rifles where Stag Arms 3G with Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 scopes zoomed up to 5x.
    Targets where at 50 yards.
    Target is a 3-Gun Nation dirty bird target shot off hand i.e. no support
    I shot double true taps with meaning one sight picture two trigger pulls as fast as I could.
    Using a timer to make sure splits were similar I was getting .17-.21 splits between shots.

Here are the results.

Boomfab Target

JP Target

I didn't use a stock rifle because I don't have any stock rifles.

I'm told the production carrier is 4.3 oz or thereabouts so it lost a little weight compared to the prototype you see here.

Boomfab

JP LMOS

Young Manufacturing

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    That's pretty impressive for guys that need such a carrier. Keep us updated when you get a decent round count on it, I'm curious to how the titanium holds up.

Jesse Tischauser

The Mayor
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Guthrie, OK
    That's pretty impressive for guys that need such a carrier. Keep us updated when you get a decent round count on it, I'm curious to how the titanium holds up.

I have about 5,000 on the prototype. Keith Garcia had over 12,000 on his. Longevity WAS a concern as it plagued past titanium carriers. It doesn't appear to be an issue with these.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom