Captured Buffer Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm not going to call anyone a liar, but I'm still trying to understand how the JP captured spring would cause the takedown lug to "break" (since we were still never told how it broke).

I can't understand how someone would break a takedown lug regardless of what is the supposed cause. That is a rather large chunk of aluminum that is integral to the upper receiver.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Alright, I would watch out for the JP silent buffer spring. It may have been a freak accident but I have seen the JP silent buffer/spring break the rear mounting tab of a Daniel Defense MK18 upper that was suppressed.

I'll take that rifle breaking scs off your hands for cheap! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not going to call anyone a liar, but I'm still trying to understand how the JP captured spring would cause the takedown lug to "break" (since we were still never told how it broke).

I can't understand how someone would break a takedown lug regardless of what is the supposed cause. That is a rather large chunk of aluminum that is integral to the upper receiver.

Ben Long was shooting his rifle as usual at a VTAC class. The only mechanical modification that he had made to his Daniel Defense rifle was to add the captured spring. He informed a group of about 8 people prior to the class that he had just received a new upper receiver from DD, because his last one broke at the rear retention tab. An hour or two later, the same thing happened on the new upper. He has since removed the captured spring and has had no problems. That's the story.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Ben Long was shooting his rifle as usual at a VTAC class. The only mechanical modification that he had made to his Daniel Defense rifle was to add the captured spring. He informed a group of about 8 people prior to the class that he had just received a new upper receiver from DD, because his last one broke at the rear retention tab. An hour or two later, the same thing happened on the new upper. He has since removed the captured spring and has had no problems. That's the story.

No offense, but the story sounds like a crock of ****.

Any pictures?
    Did he speak with JP Enterprises?
    Did he speak with Daniel Defense?
    If so, what did they tell them?

If there are pictures, I'd really like to show them to some folks with more knowledge than anyone here on Bayoushooter. It may shed some light on the situation. I just find it extremely difficult to believe when this is the first time I've ever heard of any issues with the captured spring and the issue itself being catastrophic.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA

So now Joey and I are liars because you can't understand/fathom the idea of it breaking? 2 people acknowledged seeing it happen and other people saw it as well.

Maybe the MK18 is an engineered system and the JP silent spring wasn't designed for it. I have no idea. I'm not a engineer for Daniel Defense. It was probably a freak accident. But it happened, twice.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So now Joey and I are liars because you can't understand/fathom the idea of it breaking? 2 people acknowledged seeing it happen and other people saw it as well.

Maybe the MK18 is an engineered system and the JP silent spring wasn't designed for it. I have no idea. I'm not a engineer for Daniel Defense. It was probably a freak accident. But it happened, twice.

Don't get your panties in a twist, Craig.

I never said it didn't happen. I'm saying that I want to find out WHY it happened (allegedly on two different upper receivers). What I do find difficult to believe is that a catastrophic event happened and no one took a photo, nor did they bother to contact either manufacturer.

I wonder if you'd call me a liar to my face. I don't think you would.

You don't know me very well.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I too would like to know how it broke... did it just shear off at the base? did the outer material surrounding the void crack? I can see it happening if the piston was too restrictive... but if its set correctly, this problem shouldn't exist. Unless someone just has a crap lower.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I too would like to know how it broke... did it just shear off at the base? did the outer material surrounding the void crack? I can see it happening if the piston was too restrictive... but if its set correctly, this problem shouldn't exist. Unless someone just has a crap lower.

That's what I'm trying to find out, but they want to turn this into an argument.

1. JP Silent Captured Spring was Installed.
    2. First upper receiver has lug "broken"
    3. Brand new Daniel Defense upper installed.
    4. New upper receiver has lug "broken"

Was the same lower receiver used? Could be out of spec.
    Were they using an adjustable gas block?
    Were there any timing issues?

They are essentially telling me us a car ended up in the lake with no bridge around for miles. I'm trying to figure out how.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Don't get your panties in a twist, Craig.

I never said it didn't happen. I'm saying that I want to find out WHY it happened (allegedly on two different upper receivers). What I do find difficult to believe is that a catastrophic event happened and no one took a photo, nor did they bother to contact either manufacturer.

You don't know me very well.

No one took a photo because we were too busy learning and shooting.

He did contact Daniel Defense and he got a new upper. No one followed up with Ben on how it broke, because we don't give a **** how it happened. We just don't use JP silent capture buffer/springs in our guns.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    That's what I'm trying to find out, but they want to turn this into an argument.

1. JP Silent Captured Spring was Installed.
    2. First upper receiver has lug "broken"
    3. Brand new Daniel Defense upper installed.
    4. New upper receiver has lug "broken"

Was the same lower receiver used? Could be out of spec.
    Were they using an adjustable gas block?
    Were there any timing issues?

They are essentially telling me us a car ended up in the lake with no bridge around for miles. I'm trying to figure out how.

He got a new upper from Daniel Defense for the 3rd time, took out JP silent capture spring. Gun works flawlessly now.

And roads do go by lakes.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States

He did contact Daniel Defense and he got a new upper. No one followed up with Ben on how it broke, because we don't give a **** how it happened. We just don't use JP silent capture buffer/springs in our guns.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind following up with him now? At least 3 of us would like to know a little more.
    Stuff like:
    What lower was used?
    Any follow up with JP? Maybe they made a bad unit.

Also, the MK18 comes with a flash hider which would have to be removed and replaced with the mount and/or suppressor, right?
    Is it possible he used a vice block that uses pins through the lugs to secure it? Like this:
    760543.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Cool story, bro.

It was a simple question from the beginning. Also, it's great that he learned his lesson not to put gun game parts in a defensive rifle.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If it's not too much trouble, would you mind following up with him now? At least 3 of us would like to know a little more.
    Stuff like:
    What lower was used?

Also, the MK18 comes with a flash hider which would have to be removed and replaced with the mount and/or suppressor, right?
    Is it possible he used a vice block that uses pins through the lugs to secure it? Like this:
    760543.jpg

I will see him in a couple of weeks. If I remember, then I'll ask him how it shook out.

It was a factory rifle, so it was a Daniel Defense lower.

He would have clamped the barrel in order to change the muzzle device.

I do not believe that he followed up with DD on it, because of concerns that the warranty may be affected. I do not know if he contacted JP or not.

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Stuff like:
    What lower was used?

760543.jpg

The gun lower was from Daniel Defense. And he didn't contact JP because Daniel Defense took care of the upper.

And I don't think removing the flash hider would do anything. Once he got his 3rd upper back, put it the way he had it before, he removed the JP silent capture spring from his lower, and now the gun has no issues.

So either he got 2 bad uppers from Daniel Defense or the JP silent capture spring was the problem.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I will see him in a couple of weeks. If I remember, then I'll ask him how it shook out.

It was a factory rifle, so it was a Daniel Defense lower.

He would have clamped the barrel in order to change the muzzle device.

I do not believe that he followed up with DD on it, because of concerns that the warranty may be affected. I do not know if he contacted JP or not.

Thanks! I was asking about the block because the only time I hear about broken lugs, one of those blocks was involved. Must be something else...
    Sounds like DD really stepped up which is good. Though if it were my product, after the 2nd broken lug, I'd have wanted to check out the lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom