Captured Buffer Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks! I was asking about the block because the only time I hear about broken lugs, one of those blocks was involved. Must be something else...
    Sounds like DD really stepped up which is good. Though if it were my product, after the 2nd broken lug, I'd have wanted to check out the lower.

I'll check with Ben too, but I'm pretty sure DD wanted the whole gun back after the second one broke. I'll confirm when I'll see him in a couple of weeks too.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well, I tore all 3 ARs of mine that have the JP setup just because. No signs of undue wear or stress anywhere remotely connected to the area. Buffer stop looks normal, upper and lower, front and rear takedown pins, tabs etc. All normal. Pulled out the springs to inspect and test. Normal. Inside buffer tubes are clean. These rifles have seen anywhere from 500-1500 rounds each since the swap so I'm guessing they're GTG. But I'd sure like to hear of any other issues connected to the captured spring if they exist. Interwebz search turned up nothing for me, save occasional feed issues often remedied by changing the spring rate, but no breakage

Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    No offense, but the story sounds like a crock of ****.

Any pictures?
    Did he speak with JP Enterprises?
    Did he speak with Daniel Defense?
    If so, what did they tell them?

If there are pictures, I'd really like to show them to some folks with more knowledge than anyone here on Bayoushooter. It may shed some light on the situation. I just find it extremely difficult to believe when this is the first time I've ever heard of any issues with the captured spring and the issue itself being catastrophic.

Come on now, we all know nobody knows more about everything than you dave_m! but seriously I dont understand how a buffer can do that. Even if the retainer pin was out and the bolt was out the buffer would pass over the pin and not even touch that lug. I can certainly see how people would come to that conclusion based on the story though. But my bet is something else was going on. Don't have any experience with JP buffers though.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    The Jp captured spring has beed on my wish list for a while. After reading this post I researched for other accounts like this.

I could find no instance with a JP captured spring system for broken rear take down lug. ( did find other problems, mostly timing and last round hold open)

"broken rear take down lug"
    I found numerous wrench and vise breakages.
    I found one zero percent lower build where the buffer tube threads where cut on angle.

I will continue to research ....

Any pictures ?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Come on now, we all know nobody knows more about everything than you dave_m!

a71b4dc44341e617adb96853143abf17911b1d205c5527c9eddb0e344813629d.jpg

but seriously I dont understand how a buffer can do that. Even if the retainer pin was out and the bolt was out the buffer would pass over the pin and not even touch that lug. I can certainly see how people would come to that conclusion based on the story though. But my bet is something else was going on. Don't have any experience with JP buffers though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this story sounded funny. I should have just asked Tikanni when I saw him today at IG :hsugh:

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Have completed more research, Still zero reports of JP captured spring breaking rear take down lug.

Also researched adjustable gas block breaking rear takedown lug, found nothing, However did find adjustable gas block breaking bolt lugs.

The only real credible breaking of rear take down lug is wrench and vise that I have found.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Have completed more research, Still zero reports of JP captured spring breaking rear take down lug.

Also researched adjustable gas block breaking rear takedown lug, found nothing, However did find adjustable gas block breaking bolt lugs.

The only real credible breaking of rear take down lug is wrench and vise that I have found.

And when someone mortars a rifle.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    And when someone mortars a rifle.

If we took that "what if" mentality no one would fire a shot from or create/develop any weapon.

P.S., I received the spring and put about 600 rounds through it yesterday... no mortar, no lug break. Weapon checks 4.0. Quiet, very well made, works well.

There is NO WAY this spring will break (or causing the breakage of) the rear takedown lug. I'll put another 400 rounds through it tonight just for S&Gs... but thanks everyone for your experience with the captured buffer (or experience with google! Haha).

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If we took that "what if" mentality no one would fire a shot from or create/develop any weapon.

P.S., I received the spring and put about 600 rounds through it yesterday... no mortar, no lug break. Weapon checks 4.0. Quiet, very well made, works well.

There is NO WAY this spring will break (or causing the breakage of) the rear takedown lug. I'll put another 400 rounds through it tonight just for S&Gs... but thanks everyone for your experience with the captured buffer (or experience with google! Haha).

:thumbsup:

Did you get a chance to play with the spring & buffer weights yet? Are you running an adjustable gas block with the captured spring, or just the equivalent H1 weights?

Glad it worked out for you! I'm waiting for Tikanni to report back.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    :thumbsup:

Did you get a chance to play with the spring & buffer weights yet? Are you running an adjustable gas block with the captured spring, or just the equivalent H1 weights?

Glad it worked out for you! I'm waiting for Tikanni to report back.

So far it has just been out of the box and installed. No adjustments yet. It's not on my CMMG 300Blk yet (adjustable gas block)... I put it on my M4 and suppressed it because I forgot my 300 has the Troy PDW stock on it. Combined with the 300Blk subsonics it sounds like the movies. Thwap thwap thwap... Mouse farts. All you hear is the round impacting the backstop. No more "twang" or ping... I can only assume that on the CMMG it will be even quieter (if that's possible).

This is what it will be going in soon.
    IMG_1053.jpg

This is what it's in currently.
    FullSizeR.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom