"Casual" Carry in a Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The last time I checked, I couldn't enjoy a couple of beers while watching my favorite TV show as I drive down the street. Your vehicle is an extension of your home in an insurance sense... however, not in a privacy sense. You have a certain expectation of privacy in your home, BUT, the supreme court has ruled on numerous occasions that you DO NOT have that same level of privacy in your vehicle.

Here is a section copy from NOLATAC.com that goes into more detail, and what appears to be from a more legal standpoint than just "My car is an extension of my home so I can do whatever I want in it!".

11. Your vehicle is an extension of your home.
    NOT EXACTLY
    The problem with this statement is that MOST people who use it do so with the mistaken belief that they can do anything in their vehicle that they can do in their home. That simply is not true. That statement has no legal status. It is a layman’s phrase used in reference to the ability to defend oneself in their vehicle SIMILARLY as in one’s home.

This is a result of many issues and practices such as the recent “Carjacker Law" that was added as a justification for homicide, and the legal allowance to have a firearm inside one's vehicle without the need for a permit in certain states such as Louisiana.
    Also, some insurance documents make reference to the statement that for insurance purposes, your "vehicle, garage, boat, etc. is considered an extension of your home." However, insurance law is not the same as criminal law.

You cannot do everything in your vehicle that you can do in your home due to expectation of privacy precedence and specific local laws. The Supreme Court has already ruled that you have the same expectation to SAFETY in your vehicle as you do your home, but they have also ruled that you DO NOT have the same expectation of PRIVACY in your vehicles as you do your home.

There are different legal requirements for search and seizure in your home than there are for your vehicle. An extreme example is that you can walk around naked in your home all day, and that act in and of itself is not a crime. However, if you are driving around town naked in your car, then that act in and of itself is a violation of most obscenity laws and is arrestable.

Another example is that while you can drink until you die in your home, you cannot drink in your vehicle in most cases. In MOST cases, you would be in violation of either Driving While Intoxicated or local Open Container ordinances.

There are very few exceptions where your home can be searched without a warrant. There are more and different exceptions that allow a search of your vehicle--different rules and laws for the home and vehicle.

Why is it important that we make this distinction is it means almost the same thing? Because court cases and the freedom of good men is not decided b y the facts, but how those representing us articulate those facts....with words. Laws and statute are merely words and it is the job of the attorney to interpret and articulate that interpretation to the 12 men and women who are deciding your fate. Words are very important in most cases. While the specifics of the law may not always work in your favor, it is important to know them from your own perspective to aide you in how you chose to apply them in your daily life.

So.....your vehicle is not an extension of your home because you do not have the same expectation of privacy in both. However, you do have the same expectation of safety and may defend yourself in most situations in your car the same as you would inside your home.

NUTSHELL-- You have most of the same rights in your car as you do your home, but they are not exactly the same thing.

LINK TO WEBPAGE AND MORE DETAILS

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    "Its an extension of my home!" is true cause louisiana common knowledge. - if you didn't smirk when you read that, read it again.

And you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than the width of your hand. Poor people born with small hands are discriminated against :mad:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    And you can't carry a knife with a blade longer than the width of your hand. Poor people born with small hands are discriminated against :mad:

:rofl: While funny, and I believe you already know, that this is just a common means for MOST PEOPLE to measure 4 inches. It's not a literal or "official" means of measurement any knife under 4 inches, except for switchblades or "automatic" opening knives, are legal to carry open or concealed in Louisiana.

So for those who don't know... just FYI.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    :rofl: While funny, and I believe you already know, that this is just a common means for MOST PEOPLE to measure 4 inches. It's not a literal or "official" means of measurement any knife under 4 inches, except for switchblades or "automatic" opening knives, are legal to carry open or concealed in Louisiana.

And not just for your knife either! :dunno:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

I don't believe there are any length restrictions on knives in Louisiana.

whodat247

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Mandeville
    Just looking at this thread for the 1st time and don't feel like reading all 9 pages. Was the argument of "extension of home" brought up specifically because someone wants to someone to prove where in the law it actually states that phrase, or is someone saying that is isn't OK to carry a firearm in your vehicle?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Was trying to read the post above this one but it is too long and I'm lazy. Can someone summarize it for me? :dogkeke:

Yeah pretty much :rofl:

This thread actually had many twists and turns. Some comedy too! It was like a drama, mystery, comedy, tragedy, a new member posting for the first time; bullshitting the Bayou Shooter detective squad, and subsequently being bullied off; and a cartoon reference.

What else could you want?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This thread actually had many twists and turns. Some comedy too! It was like a drama, mystery, comedy, tragedy, a new member posting for the first time; bullshitting the Bayou Shooter detective squad, and subsequently being bullied off; and a cartoon reference.

What else could you want?

There was even a link to nolatac!

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't believe there are any length restrictions on knives in Louisiana.

You are correct there aren't... except for on LEO's carrying "Rescue Knives". I guess what I should have said is that you won't catch any flack with a knife under 4 inches (Maybe because of the limitation on their protocol).

Oddly enough, there is no definition of what a "Rescue Knife" is.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    By a member that verbalizes in a writing style very similarly to another certain ex-member that also has a fondness for Nolatac.

:ninja:

HEY! Are you PROFILING ME????? I have NO affiliation or "fondness" to NOLATAC in any way... In fact, I've never heard of them until I just did a search and found that. I guess I should go read up on some threads regarding NOLATAC????

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Y'all mentioned knives, you have my attention now :D

You are correct there aren't... except for on LEO's carrying "Rescue Knives". I guess what I should have said is that you won't catch any flack with a knife under 4 inches (Maybe because of the limitation on their protocol).

Oddly enough, there is no definition of what a "Rescue Knife" is.

Yep, no laws regarding length. Teeecccchnically you could legally conceal a machete, but I'd advise not to do that LOL. From everyone I've spoken to, in the knife community, if the name of the knife has "rescue" in it, then it could probably be used against you in court (with Louisiana's strange law). Most people would think a rescue knife is a serrated blade with an unsharpened point, but here is an Emerson SARK (Search And Rescue Knife) with a plain edge.

emerson-sark-bt-rescue-folding-knife-12.jpg

HEY! Are you PROFILING ME????? I have NO affiliation to NOLATAC in any way... Ini fact, I've never heard of them until I just did a search and found that. I guess I should go read up on some threads regarding NOLATAC????

In the beginning, there was a whale... :mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    HEY! Are you PROFILING ME????? I have NO affiliation or "fondness" to NOLATAC in any way... In fact, I've never heard of them until I just did a search and found that. I guess I should go read up on some threads regarding NOLATAC????

Better yet, if you are not who you say you are not, go look up some threads with ex-member Nolacop. ;)

I actually didn't have any issues with him; but he could start some crap! :D

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Better yet, if you are not who you say you are not, go look up some threads with ex-member Nolacop. ;)

I actually didn't have any issues with him; but he could start some crap! :D

Well a bunch of threads he participated in must have been deleted... I didn't really see a whole lot from him by searching for just his username. I mean aside from him selling or looking for specific weapon parts, dogging other ranges, and bragging that his toys are better than everyone else's that is. :)

Though, I don't post on here to stir up anything... I try to share what knowledge I do have with everyone, or at least I thought that's what I was doing! lol

I definitely don't want to get a reputation and be compared to some douchebag. I would hope I assist and participate more than that. I mean that guy only had 44 posts! I have more than 700. He also hasn't been on since 2007.

Sorry, I didn't mean to facilitate taking this thread in yet ANOTHER direction.

Top Bottom