CCW in gun show

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Well being the "building" is not owned by the people that put the gun show together it would be JUST an Internal Rule IMO, unless the actual property owner would say NO weapons which then wouldnt make much sense to have a gun show on it :), then again you still respect their "wish"

Similar to the Gun Show at ULL Property, last time I inquired to the Chief of ULL Police he mentioned they fall under a "special permit" from the school board so that they can actually host it, but you are ON SCHOOL property the minute you walk from your vehicle to the door which falls under the State Definitions of what is allowed and what isnt ............

I personally dont think they should have the right to disarm you, but I do see where some SMART person decided that it was SAFE for weapons to be sold to be clear (I totally understand) but then another smarter than him decided that ALL weapons should be clear and thats where everything went down hill.

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

What gets me

Is that this a gun event put on by pro-gun members of society yet the LEGAL CHP permits and your right to Open carry is shut down.... The gun show is no different than that of a mall, movie theatre, etc.. There is not something that is gonna keep the bad guy from illegally carrying his in. REMEMBER it was not that long ago when we lerned what happens when a particular place is KNOWN to be unarmed; the military base of Fort Hood.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/06/us/06forthood.html?pagewanted=all
    I abide by the rules and leave my gun in the car I just think it is hypocritcal for our the show rules to support firearm sales but not the rights... I may not see the entire picture and I also may be missing several points since this is somewhat of a emotional rant. I am not against being enlightened if I am wrong in where I stand.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    I'm sorry, brain fart. I was referring to the sign that says they must be unloaded.

Your question though is interesting. I would think having it loaded would be only breaking their rule and get you tossed out.
    Property owners (or someone renting/leasing) saying NO GUNS carries the weight of law in Louisiana.

But they can't have signs up saying NO GREEN GUNS or NO GUNS THAT HOLD MORE THAN 10 BULLETS, it is all or nothing.
    I honestly can't see how they could make having the gun loaded illegal, like say if you had an ankle piece that you did not disclose.

Someone that actually knows can chime in on that, then someone else can argue with them because I don't think anyone can answer that one.

Remember, it is nearly always easier to beg forgivness than to ask permission. :bowdown:

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Make sure you brush your teeth for Bubba when begging him for forgiveness in jail.

I would never encourage anyone to break the law. My opinion is that the no loaded gun rule is just that, a rule, and does not have the effect of law.
    Thus, my advice stands and Bubba's going to have to find someone else.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    I would never encourage anyone to break the law. My opinion is that the no loaded gun rule is just that, a rule, and does not have the effect of law.
    Thus, my advice stands and Bubba's going to have to find someone else.

Wrong. If posted you could be looking at a trespassing charge depending on the circumstances.

Furthermore, your post was exactly that. It was a poorly cloaked joke meant to disregard the posted signage. It falls in the same bowl of stupidity as "concealed means concealed."

Last edited:

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section.

I stand corrected. Thanks "thatguy" for the post.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I stand corrected. Thanks "thatguy" for the post.

No, you do not stand corrected. You are both confused.

The section quoted refers to rights of owner, etc. It does not criminalize carrying.

Please, one of you attorneys on here; explain this !

leVieux

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    No, you do not stand corrected. You are both confused.

The section quoted refers to rights of owner, etc. It does not criminalize carrying.

Please, one of you attorneys on here; explain this !

leVieux

There are several criminal penalties for violating different provisions of La RS 40:1379.3 I'm not sure where you are going with this but maybe it proves
    that you are right. I am confused. I too will wait for someone to explain. I appreciate the civil response.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I think gun show rules on no loaded guns make perfect sense, it is simple safety issue, much like no playing with loaded guns at a cold shooting range. There are a lot of people around and not all of them know how to safely handle guns, it is way too easy to see how there could be an ND, someone pulls out their CCW carry gun to see if it fits in a new holster, then gets distracted sits it down, someone else walks up picks up the gun and "tests" the trigger pull...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think gun show rules on no loaded guns make perfect sense, it is simple safety issue, much like no playing with loaded guns at a cold shooting range. There are a lot of people around and not all of them know how to safely handle guns, it is way too easy to see how there could be an ND, someone pulls out their CCW carry gun to see if it fits in a new holster, then gets distracted sits it down, someone else walks up picks up the gun and "tests" the trigger pull...

I know they are out there, but do you realize how f**king stupid a person has to be to test pull a trigger on a gun without checking to see if it's loaded or not?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I know they are out there, but do you realize how f**king stupid a person has to be to test pull a trigger on a gun without checking to see if it's loaded or not?

LOL those ARE the type of customers that a gun show is targeting to buy items ......................., the ones that believe that the "knock off" accesories are sales

G

gunguy11

LOL those ARE the type of customers that a gun show is targeting to buy items ......................., the ones that believe that the "knock off" accesories are sales
    :bowrofl: but the knck-offs are the same thing! Sightmark vs. EoTech or the AIM red dots on sale vs the actual aimpoint

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    If you really think a show full of people with guns, knives, and other weapons with several uniformed deputies at the door and on the property is a prime zone for violent crime and you should be prepared... take a prozac or just stay home. There are FAR easier targets out there. The biggest risk around there is a negligent discharge from some fool who doesn't follow the safety rules.

The only good thing about gun shows is you can handle a bunch of different firearms to see what fits without dealing with moron gunshop employees who act like your pulling teeth to get a pistol out of the case.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA

I know, I also know how careless people tend to be about gun safety at gun shows, thankfully most vendors have guns with safety ties on them, the key here is most, it seems there are always some untied hand guns at every gun show I attend, and lets not even talk about long guns, or the guys walking around with a "gun for sale" sign on their back..

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge

I am friends with several people that stupid. EVERY guy that owns a gun thinks he is such a smart gun guy then proceeds to do stupid things in front of me at the range and at gun stores.

Regarding the topic, if you feel you have to ask if it's OK to carry your gun someplace then you shouldn't be carrying a gun to that place.

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    I think you can be put off the premises or arrested for trespassing in extreme cases. But I don't think any institution or individual that puts up a sign that says "no guns" or "guns must be x" can make it necessarily illegal to carry there. In other words if you went to jail it wouldn't be for illegal carrying of a weapon or illegal concealment. But don't hold me to that in the back of the squad car.

Top Bottom