Charter Cable

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Does anyone have any connections at Charter cable in St. Tammany?

I need some advice on how high up the chain I can take my case. Anyone done something similar?

I don't live that far off the beaten path, but there is no cable run in front of my house. They did a survey and said it was about 800 feet away and would cost $1500+ to run the line. I want to see if there is anyway I can get this drastically reduced or the fee removed for the install.

I need the faster internet than the 3mb/s DSL I have now. Ping rates are worse than they have ever been, not terrible but not good enough for the new COD games.

The way I see it, I will be paying for a pretty expensive cable package every month for the foreseeable future. I think Charter should invest in the infrastructure to get my business.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Charter SUCKS. Their customer service is pathetic, their equipment outdated, and the company is bankrupt. Find another provider

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    +1 on Uverse if it's available in your area. It uses standard phone line so you're good there, just depends if they've run the fiber optics to your "neighborhood".

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I may go try and talk to them again tomorrow to see if I can run cable from my house to the pole and see how that reduces the price they want me to pay.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I have charter and my Internet goes out 3-5 times a week for hour or so each time. Customer service sucks and they cut channels off my lineup without even notifying me. I wish I had another option but its been this way for years.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    I have had charter for the last 10 years , customer service sucks (INDIA) . But the service i have is great !
    Only one problem in the last 10 years BUT it was in old cable i had put in the house .
    They replaced it !

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Does anyone have any connections at Charter cable in St. Tammany?

I need some advice on how high up the chain I can take my case. Anyone done something similar?

I don't live that far off the beaten path, but there is no cable run in front of my house. They did a survey and said it was about 800 feet away and would cost $1500+ to run the line. I want to see if there is anyway I can get this drastically reduced or the fee removed for the install.

I need the faster internet than the 3mb/s DSL I have now. Ping rates are worse than they have ever been, not terrible but not good enough for the new COD games.

The way I see it, I will be paying for a pretty expensive cable package every month for the foreseeable future. I think Charter should invest in the infrastructure to get my business.

You can start with the Public Service Commission. That will get their attention, however, working for a similar company I can tell you that what they told you is not far off base. Most cable systems will build the first 150 or 300 feet of plant as a courtesy but the remaining distance is billed to the customer. If you are located in a new neighborhood development or in a area where there are a lot of people not on Charter currently then the company would most likely consider absorbing the cost if they can re-coup their investment with enough subscribers.

You'd have quite a bit of signal loss over RG6 at 800 feet

Would be better going with RG11 IMO

I doubt RG11 is going to cut it over 800 feet. Espicially if the nearest tap is at the end of that trunk. The company is going to have to build at least 600 to 700 feet of Hybrid Fiber Coax, install a tap and possibly even an amplifier. Even after all that being at the end of the plant service won't be the greatest.

Last edited:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    You can start with the Public Service Commission. That will get their attention, however, working for a similar company I can tell you that what they told you is not far off base. Most cable systems will build the first 150 or 300 feet of plant as a courtesy but the remaining distance is billed to the customer. If you are located in a new neighborhood development or in a area where there are a lot of people not on Charter currently then the company would most likely consider absorbing the cost if they can re-coup their investment with enough subscribers.

Good advice. Thanks.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Something else to consider - call their Business service side. Talk with one of their sales rep to see if you can get setup on a 3 year contract for a Home Office class business internet account. In this case they know they'll have you locked in for 3 years at the same rate. They may view it as a good return to build the service to your home on their dime. Additional benefit is you get expedited service since you will have a business connection. Downside would be a higher monthly rate and you're locked in for 3 years.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

I doubt RG11 is going to cut it over 800 feet. Espicially if the nearest tap is at the end of that trunk. The company is going to have to build at least 600 to 700 feet of Hybrid Fiber Coax, install a tap and possibly even an amplifier. Even after all that being at the end of the plant service won't be the greatest.
    This. Are they going to bury the line to your house or no?

Top Bottom