Cigarette Butts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The biggest thing is that it is throwing a "flaming" or smoldering substance out onto the streets/medians etc....

When I lived in South Texas around Corpus Christi road side fires were started there all the time by people throwing lit butts out the window. The weather is drier there and when there was a drought the fire department was busy.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Check with the parts department. I remember my mother was able to get an ashtray which fits into the drink holder from the GM parts department.
    Or...Autozone sells them also.
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-Sport-ashtray/_/N-25bu?itemIdentifier=761458_0_0_

WOW! :eek5: A compartment my wife can store more sh*t in.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Take a look out of your window at any busy intersection with a median. You'll see hundreds of cigarette butts on the ground. Disgusting... 1st, the city has become a dump ever since Kip took office. They never clean, cut grass, or sweep streets. 2nd, you don't expect me to throw away an empty cup, or a sandwich wrapper out of my window. Why are cigarette butts any different? If common sense fails and people no longer have respect towards their own city and other citizens, the only way to fight it is with the law. If your momma didn't teach you well the judge will.

Ever been to Japan or Singapore? Ever wondered why the streets are so clean?

Yes, I'm one of those people who doesn't leave a pile of garbage after himself at the movies or at the game. Always wondered why people act that way...

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Mac, You work in QA and think it is okay to litter as long as it is cigarette butts?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have no problem with the cutting down on litter. At the same time..I get the feeling that society is making the cigarette smoker feel like a criminals and second class citizens.

There's one thing that the Anti-cigarette crowd keeps forgetting about. And that is the tobacco tax...AKA...sin taxes.

Last few years...Louisiana took in @ 137,000,000.00 in taxes from cigarettes yearly.

Alcohol only brings in @ 55,000,000.00 a year.

Everytime I turn on the TV....I hear about another law passed banning cigarette smoking. The state budget legislators better be careful what they wish for.

Take that 130 million out the state's income every year....and it will have to be made up from some other area.

Hell...Petroleum products brings in @600 million a year. And that is considered a major industry for the state.

The state Legislators should be kissing cigarette / tobacco users buts IMO. We're adding 135,000,000.00 into their budget every year. That is big money.

headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    I ride a motorcycle and I'm amazed at the amount of butts I see on the side of the road when stopped at intersections. People are just trashy! I bet they wouldn't throw their butts out in front of their house. Well, maybe they would. Anyway, If you throw an unlit butt out the window, is that just littering and what is the penalty for that? Is it different for a lit butt and how will the officer tell if it was lit or not? Will they have to retrieve it for evidence? Just wondering...

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What about the time involved for LEOs to cite evil butt flickers? I'm sure they have far more meaningful things to do with their time. How will this law even be enforced? Oh, wait I know, butt cameras and butt vans. Better yet how about a bounty system...Rat out the butt flickers one at a time...Serialized butts so we know who they were transferred to...DNA testing on any and all butts! No knock butt flickers warrants, that'll teach 'em. Ok, I admit it, way too much coffee and butts this morning.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    This is off topic but a good place to place the question. When driving with my wife, while neither one of us litter with trash, she will have no problem throwing an apple core or a banana peel out the window, claiming "that's not littering, some hungry animal will come by in a few hours and he'll be happy to eat that." I've always thought it kind of trashy and littering, but I guess to a lesser degree. I guess I'm really curious how LEO feels about that, would you cite her? And if she did it passenger in my car, would you cite her or me?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I see pick up trucks going down the road with Styrofoam cups, Walmart bags, newspapers, etc., blowing out of the truck beds. I go to the grocery store and see garbage everywhere in the parking lots from trash left in the carts. The ditches in Louisiana are filled with trash and the state is worried about someone throwing a cigarette butt out of their car window. The only thing I can figure is, they're worried that a lit cigarette butt might catch the garbage in the ditches and along the road on fire. I could understand this law if Louisiana was pristine, like Florida or well kept like most of the other states in the union. This place is unbelievable. $300 fine and 8 hours community service for the first offense. What a joke.

A law I'm actually okay with. Maybe we need to enforce it more.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm OK with another law banning littering. Maybe it will actually be enforced. Litter is disgusting. I agree with everyone above who talked about being raised differently. I was raised to keep the trash in the car until you stop somewhere, then throw it away. Gas stations have trash cans everywhere. No need to throw stuff on the side of the road whenever there is a gas station within eye view almost everywhere.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    When I walk out to my mailbox , there is always a half dozen or so cigarette butts on the end of my driveway . I think the law should include public flogging . I'm serious .

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    When I walk out to my mailbox , there is always a half dozen or so cigarette butts on the end of my driveway . I think the law should include public flogging . I'm serious .

Why not :P

It's really not that hard to not throw your damn trash out of the window of a car. I don't understand why people think they have a God given right to just throw their trash on other people's stuff.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Someone might be watching you.

But seriously. Trash in this city is disgusting. I'm appalled at some of the stuff I come across while on duty.

On another note, people who also don't clean up after their dogs disgust me as well.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    What does leaving a recliner that fell off your truck in the middle of the interstate count as? Guy in front of me was busy on his phone and braked and swerved (gross overreaction) at the last second, so after nearly hitting him, I nearly hit the recliner. A guy at work the next day said he saw an 18-wheeler smoke it. Another time, a big piece of plywood nearly took me out on my bike on the same stretch of interstate. Seems like lots of people can't secure their loads and just ignore it when they lose it.

Also, why does nobody clean up accident scenes? I see bumpers and broken glass in intersections all the time, one bumper just smashed to **** after being run over so many times because it was in the middle of the road.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have no problem with the cutting down on litter. At the same time..I get the feeling that society is making the cigarette smoker feel like a criminals and second class citizens.

There's one thing that the Anti-cigarette crowd keeps forgetting about. And that is the tobacco tax...AKA...sin taxes.

Last few years...Louisiana took in @ 137,000,000.00 in taxes from cigarettes yearly.

Alcohol only brings in @ 55,000,000.00 a year.

Everytime I turn on the TV....I hear about another law passed banning cigarette smoking. The state budget legislators better be careful what they wish for.

Take that 130 million out the state's income every year....and it will have to be made up from some other area.

Hell...Petroleum products brings in @600 million a year. And that is considered a major industry for the state.

The state Legislators should be kissing cigarette / tobacco users buts IMO. We're adding 135,000,000.00 into their budget every year. That is big money.

I wonder what medical costs tobacco use through medicaid/medicare/SSI disability cost Louisiana taxpayers yearly? Most of the SSI disability patients we have are smokers with other co-morbidities related to tobacco use. I don't have numbers but my feeling is long term tobacco use costs we taxpayers more than we realize.
    Addendum - Medicaid only costs of smoking in Louisiana according to the CDC is $175 - $375 million in 2004. The legislators should be kicking smokers butts.
    http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2009/jul/08_0153.htm

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I wonder what medical costs tobacco use through medicaid/medicare/SSI disability cost Louisiana taxpayers yearly? Most of the SSI disability patients we have are smokers with other co-morbidities related to tobacco use. I don't have numbers but my feeling is long term tobacco use costs we taxpayers more than we realize.
    Addendum - Medicaid only costs of smoking in Louisiana according to the CDC is $175 - $375 million in 2004. The legislators should be kicking smokers butts.
    http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2009/jul/08_0153.htm

Don't forget those that eat cheeseburgers and get heart disease. /runs off to eat his soylent green.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Don't forget those that eat cheeseburgers and get heart disease. /runs off to eat his soylent green.

FWIW...I agree that cigarettes cause all kinds of medical problems. But I would venture to guess that it is no greater than the costs for obesity and alcoholism.

God only knows the total costs to the state for alcohol related deaths, medical costs, police 911 calls, drunk drivers, and the family pet getting kicked.

Top Bottom