Coyotes in slidell.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Whit,

Make a little pen out of chicken wire about 4x4 ft and high enough where a chicken can't jump out and cover it with a screen. Place that in the middle of an open field just near enough to the wood line so that you can see between it and the pen. Throw some chickens in there (they are cheap), and let the yotes get used to seeing them there. After a few days, take the top off. They will eventually kill the chickens, but they will now come back again.

Then you can go get one of those predator calls with the little rabbit tails on the vibrating stick and set that up near the pen. I guarantee they will come back.

If you wait till after the deer season, I will come and set up with you.

Sounds like a good plan. Does a white light on a gun spook them?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sounds like a good plan. Does a white light on a gun spook them?

I don't think the white light is going to work. Night scope is going to be the ticket. I never see them during the day; and I hunt almost every single day back there. When I shot the only one I've ever seen back there he was alone, it was cold, and it was just minutes after sunrise. That poor bastard looked so out of place when he came by, like he was a vampire running away from the sun.

And I, as you; know there are a bunch of them too!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    We had an operator checking a well down in Terrebonne parish off Bayou Black in the cane fields when he jumped back in his truck...nothing...Wouldn't start, Tries his phone. No signal.
    So he decides to hoof it back to the highway about 3/4 of a mile walk.
    He gets about a 1/4 mile away from his truck and hears something behind him.
    Turns and looks and he has seven yotes following him from about 100 yds away, He stops gets out his spiffy pocket knife and they stop watching him. He starts walking they start following, He stops, They stop.
    He walks faster, They walk faster, They followed him for the next 1/2 mile up to the highway and then disappear in the cane when he gets to Hwy.182,
    To say he was shaken up is an understatement and some wonder why gasoline is high.

Halcyon00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Gators story makes me glad I carry lol. Bold bass tards I tell Ya

Sent from my ball and chain.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Gators story makes me glad I carry lol. Bold bass tards I tell Ya

Not that I wouldn't feel that creepy feeling in his shoes or wishing I had brought what I should have in the first place, but I wonder if that behavior was simple curiosity on their part of this "sasquatch" creature that suddenly appeared on their turf, or if it was an cue for an opportunity:Man in woods, man kill deer, man leaves gut pile, ???, PROFIT.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Bagged a rare double last night. Right at primetime for deer. :mad: But you ain't going to see deer with these around. Soooooooo; Blammo! I shoot them on sight!
    Light colored female JFK'd at 110 yds, and black male made the mistake of coming back and looking for her.
    j1giuaogu87ax51f5mi.jpg

hw0v50xmz64p0jom1x.jpg

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    I have mixed emotions on the subject. They're K9's and I'm a huge dog lover of all kinds. To say they all deserve to be killed is ignorance at its finest. They have a right to live just as we do. The more we develop land for ourselves the more we push into their territory, we're more so the problem than they are. They're a predator so caution should be warranted when they're around. If you value your dog make sure its secured outside where they cant get to them or keep them inside. I have no positive feelings towards cats so if douches want to let their cats run around outside then that's their problem. If I'm in fear for myself, my girlfriend, or her son I'll shoot one in a heart beat. The situation has to warrant such measures, like a pending attack. They have been coexisting with us for quit some time. Rarely if ever attacking us, yet we as people want to kill them all because they could be dangerous. As for people that go out of their way to shoot fox, that's just sad.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Bagged a rare double last night. Right at primetime for deer. :mad: But you ain't going to see deer with these around. Soooooooo; Blammo! I shoot them on sight!
    Light colored female JFK'd at 110 yds, and black male made the mistake of coming back and looking for her.
    j1giuaogu87ax51f5mi.jpg

hw0v50xmz64p0jom1x.jpg

Looks like a dog in the wood pile with that black one.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have mixed emotions on the subject. They're K9's and I'm a huge dog lover of all kinds. To say they all deserve to be killed is ignorance at its finest. They have a right to live just as we do. The more we develop land for ourselves the more we push into their territory, we're more so the problem than they are. They're a predator so caution should be warranted when they're around. If you value your dog make sure its secured outside where they cant get to them or keep them inside. I have no positive feelings towards cats so if douches want to let their cats run around outside then that's their problem. If I'm in fear for myself, my girlfriend, or her son I'll shoot one in a heart beat. The situation has to warrant such measures, like a pending attack. They have been coexisting with us for quit some time. Rarely if ever attacking us, yet we as people want to kill them all because they could be dangerous. As for people that go out of their way to shoot fox, that's just sad.

I think you are oversimplifying why some folks shoot them. I am shooting them because,
    1); It's legal to do so. They are considered outlawed quadrupeds (meaning they are considered a threat to something by a regulating agency in charge of wild animal stewardship).
    2); They are a real threat to young deer and rabbits on my property. If they only killed and ate rats and mice, and it was clearly evident to me they didn't scare the bejesus out of deer; I wouldn't shoot them either.
    3); They have no natural enemies other than humans. There numbers are on the serious increase. Left unchecked, their populations will explode and that could lead to starvation and disease, as well as an increase in close encounters with humans, their young children, and their pets.

If it's any consolation, these animals are smart. It is very rare to encounter them without actually trying; and even then they are super wary; more so than deer. Something else to consider. There is no "new" development of wild land happening in New Orleans, and when I was growing up there till the late 90's there was never a mention of a sighting. Now, they are seeing them regularly in my old neighborhood and there are reported packs roaming in City Park. Why is that?

BTW; I never shoot bobcats or foxes!

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    j1giuaogu87ax51f5mi.jpg

hw0v50xmz64p0jom1x.jpg

Good job!!! Hell yeah- if one shows up while I'm in my stand, he gets a bullet. They eat their share of deer & rabbits- but not if I can help it. :mad:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth

So it's ok to kill cats such as Bobcats; since you don't like them, but not anything related to a dog? Just curious. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    It's not our job to police animal population. Who has caused the increase in animal extinction? Humans have. To this day I haven't seen but two and I was driving when I saw those. I hear them from time to time but that's about it. If I can't eat it or if it's not a immediate threat to me or a loved one I won't go out of my way to cause harm to it. Your mileage may vary, this is just my outlook on the topic.

Last edited:

screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    So it's ok to kill cats such as Bobcats; since you don't like them, but not anything related to a dog? Just curious. Maybe I misunderstood your post.
    No, I don't have a problem with actual wild cats. I wouldn't shoot a bobcat or other wild cat just to shoot it. I would need to be threatened immediately to take deadly force to it. Nor do I have an issue with a house cat or hell a barn kept cat to keep the mice in check. It's people that have several cats they let roam the neighborhood I have no sympathy for if they get taken out by a predator.

Last edited:

Halcyon00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    It's not our job to police animal population. Who has caused the increase in animal extinction? Humans have. To this day I haven't seen but two and I was driving when I saw those. I hear them from time to time but that's about it. If I can't eat it or if it's not a immediate threat to me or a loved one I won't go out of my way to cause harm to it. Your mileage may vary, this is just my outlook on the topic.

LOL who the hell is going to police the animal population then? My gosh if not for hunters the deer would eat all of our food. Once man comes in and takes out the alpha predator ,bears wolves, big cats, it's mans job to police the animal population. My gosh what an ignorant statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom