Crazy bayou shooter gun prices.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Caveat Emptor! Unfortunately, MORE THAN ONE retailer in Metairie regularly gives "deals" to their repeat customers who believe an FFL is like a Primary Care Physician; only "theirs" knows best. They unknowingly overpay for an item and consequently overcharge when they try to sell it here on Bayoushooter. Due diligence would reveal the sticker price was 20% over MSRP, the "deal" /purchase price is MSRP, and the used price is 80% of MSRP. That 80% of MSRP is what the rest of us usually pay NEW. This problem worsens in small towns where there is no competition from other retailers, or the nearest competitor is so far away customer travel becomes unfeasible.
    As far as a return on the investment/ losing money when they sell, the fact that someone overpaid for a new item doesn't mean I am going to overpay for it used. A wise man once said, "you don't lose money when you sell an item at a loss, you lost your money the day that you overpaid for it."

This has a lot to do with it.

Market price of a gen 4 Glock is ~$539. You walk into many dealers and a gen 3 gun is in the case for $599. And many people do treat the gun guy behind the counter like he's the end-all-be-all. Joe-blo who bought his Glock for $600 is going to list his used for $600.

But really, end of the day, the difference between a gun that's "overpriced" to "fairly priced" or "fairly priced" to "a great deal" is only about $50. Usually the haggle room on this stuff is only over a $20 bill or two. And as such, for most people, it doesn't make sense to shop used, unless you don't know how to shop new or want to avoid that background check for some reason.

And as a side note, I think it's funny how pretty much the only guns that get called out for being overpriced on here is Glocks. I suspect that's because very few really know (care) what most other pistols are worth, market is less saturated, etc. Other stuff is more often more egregiously overpriced, but nobody calls it out because nobody knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know where I can buy a Jäger machine?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

IS IS STILL AVAILABLE?? :rofl:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This has a lot to do with it.

Market price of a gen 4 Glock is ~$539. You walk into many dealers and a gen 3 gun is in the case for $599. And many people do treat the gun guy behind the counter like he's the end-all-be-all. Joe-blo who bought his Glock for $600 is going to list his used for $600.

But really, end of the day, the difference between a gun that's "overpriced" to "fairly priced" or "fairly priced" to "a great deal" is only about $50. Usually the haggle room on this stuff is only over a $20 bill or two. And as such, for most people, it doesn't make sense to shop used, unless you don't know how to shop new or want to avoid that background check for some reason.

And as a side note, I think it's funny how pretty much the only guns that get called out for being overpriced on here is Glocks. I suspect that's because very few really know (care) what most other pistols are worth, market is less saturated, etc. Other stuff is more often more egregiously overpriced, but nobody calls it out because nobody knows.

Anyone can Google or Duckduckgo, the make and model of any gun and get current market prices; both retail and used. I am having a tough time trying to understand why so many people don't understand the concept of selling/buying in America.

The only valid point I didn't consider earlier in this thread was the background check angle. And I am split on that. As a freedomist, I believe you should be able to buy whatever from whomever without someone looking over your shoulder. From a safety standpoint, anyone that is purposely avoiding a background check by buying second hand may be a criminal. And, if that is the case, then they SHOULD pay more to a private seller!

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    Anyone can Google or Duckduckgo, the make and model of any gun and get current market prices; both retail and used. I am having a tough time trying to understand why so many people don't understand the concept of selling/buying in America.

The only valid point I didn't consider earlier in this thread was the background check angle. And I am split on that. As a freedomist, I believe you should be able to buy whatever from whomever without someone looking over your shoulder. From a safety standpoint, anyone that is purposely avoiding a background check by buying second hand may be a criminal. And, if that is the case, then they SHOULD pay more to a private seller!
    Emp, I understand your point but it may just be for the PRINCIPLE of it. As you said, a citizen of this country should (and I fully agree) be able to purchase that gun without all that paperwork and such. :mad: Arrrgh!

Slipknot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2016
    Tom Bean, Texas/Hammond, LA
    So I've been gone for a little while from the forums, but good Lord the prices for the individual classifieds have some crazy asking prices. I have of course seen a few that are right in value estimates, but most are asking new prices with others that are asking 30 cheaper than high retail on a very used gun. Just the other day here I saw someone asking $350 for a used gun, that only had a value of $200 NIB shipped to ffl. It's crazy when you can go to Academy, purchase the same guns new and it's cheaper than folks here are asking for used "ultra ultra ultra low round count guns". I do see why the classified reply's had to be closed with the bickering but hell, it seemed to keep everyone in check for price gouging and over inflated values on firearms. In fact, I see less the quantity of actual guns listed for sale than months back. It could be people are holding on to the guns due to the "el presidente" factor or maybe due to the insane asking prices people are no longer viewing the selection as often. I myself have sold and purchased quite a few guns and had many great deals on both fronts in the past. Does anyone else see the same pattern?

Not sure what some of these guys are thinking, on Shreveport GUNS GONE WILD, that place was ridiculous, everyone thought their stuff was NIB and asked over retail.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Same thing happens with some cars, owners keep prices high, which sets the market.

I've seen firearms here that are valued $100 or more under the sellers asking price. Fact is, every seller of that firearm wants $100 more than value, so in a sense, the sellers have set the market.

I saw some crazy prices just a few minutes ago... You cant blame the seller honestly. Its worth what the buyer will pay.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    None of this is rocket science . Do your homework before you buy and everything after that is on you . If you overpay don't blame it on the seller . I have a nice G19 that I would sell for $700 if some fool would pay it . And I'll make somebody a real sweet deal on some .22 ammo too . ;)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Why would anyone on BS pay more than $1 a round for a mixed lot of 9mm and .45 ammunition? The beat goes on.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    In addition to what has previously been stated, there are sellers here who have problem welching on a previous agreement for whatever reason. Usually due to a higher offer.

I agreed to buy a Mak90 a couple of yrs ago from a known seller, and 45 min before I was supposed to meet him, he comes up with some BS headspace issue due to firing the weapon over the previous weekend. Sure....

I also had an agreed upon price, and day to meet for a PTR-91, guy sold it somone else for a higher price...No honor whatsoever.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    So, how does everyone look at it when someone has lets say......... a Gen 4 Glock 19 with Trijicon HD sights and an aftermarket trigger. Im using my G19 an example.

My thought is that its a gun that I don't plan to sell so I did what I wanted to it but in reality I have over 800.00 in the gun.

If you were selling a gun like that would you just pull the aftermarket things off and sell a stock G19 or would you ask more than the 500.00 for a stock Glock and have everyone freak out?

I have not noticed anything like that but was just curious what everyone's thoughts on something like that would be.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    So, how does everyone look at it when someone has lets say......... a Gen 4 Glock 19 with Trijicon HD sights and an aftermarket trigger. Im using my G19 an example.

My thought is that its a gun that I don't plan to sell so I did what I wanted to it but in reality I have over 800.00 in the gun.

If you were selling a gun like that would you just pull the aftermarket things off and sell a stock G19 or would you ask more than the 500.00 for a stock Glock and have everyone freak out?

I have not noticed anything like that but was just curious what everyone's thoughts on something like that would be.

Mods on cars almost never increase the vehicle's value, but with guns a nice set of sights usually do. I would think that any trigger work has a net zero value unless done by Vickers or the like.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

It's been my experience that the buyers here look at sales like a used car dealership would... they could care less about upgrades, modifications, etc. to anything for sale. It could be a Glock 19 made of solid gold and when it comes to selling it, it's a Glock 19... period. You will always get Low-ball offers... you will get ridiculous offers (like pull everything off and sell it individually)... you will get modified offers (like "How much for just the barrel?")... You will get idiots who try to troll and make comments about what you're attempting to sell... You're better off on Gunbroker for the gun parts and weapons. Noone cares what you've got "in" a Glock... because a Glock is a Glock is a Glock (insert your brand here). It's just stupidity and the same old trying to get something for nothing or possibly taking advantage of someone in a jam. Don't worry though, this is by far not the only site this happens on! It's the faceless internet. No honor among trolls.

Personally I have had some luck selling here... but only when giving a "deal" by eventually lowering the price to the point of taking a loss on the sale. The best luck I've had is with trades. Of course I've had people back out... and I've had to back out of a couple but at least I give a valid answer as to why and apologize.

There should be a common courtesy, especially with such a specific group of viewers. But what comes around goes around.

Just remember... when you list a weapon ALWAYS list it as "NIB" or "NEVER BEEN FIRED"... then multiply the trade value by 10 and the sale value by 5. ;)

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I did trigger work on a Range Only Gen 4 G34 yesterday that reduced the pre travel and over travel and reduced the trigger pull weigh by 2.5#s. I would recommend replacing all the OEM parts in order to sell unless someone was willing to pay more for the parts installed. Night sights would bring more or OEM plastic would go back on the pistol. Just do not expect retail for used parts or used pistol.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I did trigger work on a Range Only Gen 4 G34 yesterday that reduced the pre travel and over travel and reduced the trigger pull weigh by 2.5#s. I would recommend replacing all the OEM parts in order to sell unless someone was willing to pay more for the parts installed. Night sights would bring more or OEM plastic would go back on the pistol. Just do not expect retail for used parts or used pistol.

That is going to be my next purchase.....a G34. Soon.

I was just curious as to how other looked at it. I am in no way thinking about selling my G19. Its has quickly become one of my favorites.

Top Bottom