Deadlift

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    For those who do, who often and how much? Just curious to see how others work this into their program.

For legs, I do regular squats 5 x 5 first day, front squats 5 x 5 then deadlift 3 sets 5 reps second day, then regular squats 5x5 third day. I do it less that the other lifts, but I really feel it just form that. Think this is too little, or about right in combination with everything else?

TinM@n

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's probably one if my favorite things to do.
    I actually do it on my chest and back day per Arnold's Bodybuilding Encyclopedia p.182 (I think).
    It says to do 3 sets: 10 reps, 6 reps, then 4-failure.

The point is to go big, but not so big that you lose form or hurt yourself.
    Good luck.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    chest or shoulder/back day, never on leg day.

personally I go 11/9/7 but I continue my last set until failure.

If I'm feeling particularly hardcore that day I'll drop 10% of the weight and do the last set over again. Deadlifts for me are my favorite, but are hard on my body due to a physical deformity- but man I love the exercise. It's honestly top 5 for your physique if you're doing it with proper technique and form.

Not going for any strongman records, I just lift to look better than the average mofo at the beach. I'm 5'9 195 at ~10% and yesterday it was a final set of 320x4

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I deadlift once a week usually. Usually 5x5 and hit my 1RM or a new PR. Incorporate it into a warmup or skill set.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I do it the same day I work out back, at the end of the workout. 5x5. I always warm up with a couple light sets first. Does anybody not warm up for this exercise?

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Heavy once a week and then sometimes an additional light day on the opposite end of the week.
    Same with squats. Once heavy then once light, typically on Tues and Fri. I do them all conventional.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I do it the same day I work out back, at the end of the workout. 5x5. I always warm up with a couple light sets first. Does anybody not warm up for this exercise?

always stretch or do a light set first for every exercise. and fwiw I and many others suggest beginning with your heaviest compound exercise first. It'll require the most energy and o2, so you'll get more "bang for your buck" by not going into it depleted from other sets/reps/exercises. this advice especially true on leg day.

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I mean I usually row 500m (been doing 1000m here and there lately), stretch EVERYTHING, do some pull-ups, push-ups and GHD sit-ups and then it's time to rock and roll.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    for whatever its worth to anyone caring to read these posts: rowing and swimming are the two most underrated forms of exercise on the planet.

you wouldn't believe what either will do for your entire body.

Sasquatch26

Squatch
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Geismar
    I do a more powerlifting workout so take this for what it's worth. I always do deadlift 2nd on backday. This way, it gives me one exercise to warm up then go into heavy. I do a warm up set with mid-weight about 5 times-ish or whatever I think I need, then move on to do sets 4,3,2,1. Alot of recent research and articles are leaning towards not doing over 5 reps because the average person gets very fatigued deadlifting after 5 reps and thats when your form (and back) will suffer. One of the only ways to build real size is to do power moves such as deadlift, squat, different benches. Remember though, form is everything.....never start doing a ton of weight until you feel your form is completely right as you see in videos, which means back is completely straight.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I do a more powerlifting workout so take this for what it's worth. I always do deadlift 2nd on backday. This way, it gives me one exercise to warm up then go into heavy. I do a warm up set with mid-weight about 5 times-ish or whatever I think I need, then move on to do sets 4,3,2,1. Alot of recent research and articles are leaning towards not doing over 5 reps because the average person gets very fatigued deadlifting after 5 reps and thats when your form (and back) will suffer. One of the only ways to build real size is to do power moves such as deadlift, squat, different benches. Remember though, form is everything.....never start doing a ton of weight until you feel your form is completely right as you see in videos, which means back is completely straight.

I'll add that you should have someone video you, or if they know what they're doing, have them critique your form. I used to think mine was good a while back until someone told me to straighten up.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Thanks for the replies. I always did front squats and overhead press before deadlift, and considered that a warm up. Next week, I'll try warming up by adding 1 set with less weight, higher reps (7?), and bring my full weight up to 5 x 5.

Madwabbit, swimming is what I do. I used to swim 3 days a week, but have cut it down to 1 due to having a second job, making time for that difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom