Duck hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have never been duck hunting and would love to go. I don't have a place of my own unfortunately. I also don't have much money for a guided hunt. Would anyone on here like to take a newbie on a trip? I don't mind buying our shells. Pitching in on gas or anything else. I would just really like to go before the season is up.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You don't need someone to take you duck hunting. All you need is a paddle boat of some sort, kayak/pirogue or whatever else. Several of the WMA's have decently productive areas to hunt that are only accessible by paddle craft.

Spend some time and do your research, scout some areas during the off season. Scouting trips make good excuses to do some fishing while you're there.

By the time next season rolls around you will be able to hunt all you want without having to rely on someone else.

Just a suggestion.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    If you've never been duck hunting before, it would be a good idea to go with someone who frequently hunts.

As with any sport, a veteran can walk you through the "rituals", and save you a lot of headache and heartbreak in future.

I'll be tied up at work for a few months, so this season is out, but drop me a line via PM and I'll save it. I'd definitely get up with you for the next go round.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Mayonnaise thanks and I will see what I can do!
    Bencarp tanks for your reply and offer. That is what i was hoping for. Someone to take me that knows the do's and don'ts and stuff I can learn from.
    Pm is coming your way.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I just don't know where is legal to duck hunt etc. how to tell what duck Im shooting because I think each one has their own bag limit. Or how to call really. I bought one and have been watching the duck commander but it's harder than it sounds lol.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    This is why you need a mentor. It might be worth your money for a guided hunt. They aren't that expensive depending on where you go. From $150 up.

Identifying Ducks on the fly is a skill learned 'IN THE FIELD'.

Duck Hunting can be expensive but it all depends on what kind of duck hunting you're doing. Sneaking around a Bayou in the woods hunting for Wood Ducks(Limit is 3) is obviously the easiest and least expensive type of duck hunting to do.

Setting up a Drop In spot in a WMA with Decoys will require experience and more money for decoys and gear etc.

Best bet is to reach out here and BayouBucks.com as well as other Louisiana Local Websites and try and find someone that will take you. You'll learn a lot each Hunt that will eventually lead to you meeting people, finding a place to hunt and learning how to do it.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I plan on getting back into it next year so if you see me on you can shoot me a message. A group of us usually go but there are times when we need a third man and its nice to split gas. Dont feel bad it was hard for me to get going too and it just takes time to find the right people to go with. When I got back from overseas in 09 I was posting on Sportsman trying to find someone to team up with so I know how you feel. Try MMT as well, a lot of good info and hunters on there.

I have never been duck hunting and would love to go. I don't have a place of my own unfortunately. I also don't have much money for a guided hunt. Would anyone on here like to take a newbie on a trip? I don't mind buying our shells. Pitching in on gas or anything else. I would just really like to go before the season is up.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks Hitman! Seems like you know your stuff. Wouldn't like a little Hitman duck hunter to follow you around; I shut and and listen lol. But thanks man.
    Thanks Carlos. I will pm you when I get on lunch. I knew a place I could have went a couple years back but I never did. It was over there on Spanish lake but I don't think they let you back there anymore.
    Gas money is not a problem. I am gonna buy a set of decoys soon. I bought a call the other day and have been working with it. I'm trying to get me a shotgun that shoots atleast 3". I have some nice ones I hunt upland game with but they all fire 2-3/4". If someone can take me duck hunting I can return the favor with a quail hunt. We just split the cost of birds since they have to be bought. Shells, food and gas on me. I already have a place to go no fee and I have my own dog.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If it were that easy, EVERYONE would be doing it ;)

and no one would be paying $6,000 annual leases :mamoru:

I beg to differ. I kill just as many birds (some years, like this year, more birds) as my friends with big money rice leases and I have NEVER paid for anything more than a hunting license. Three time this season I have limited out on big ducks and been back in my office in south baton rouge by 10am

The only difference is I don't have a fancy camp to sit around and tell lies.

Duck hunting use to be a poor mans sport.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I beg to differ. I kill just as many birds (some years, like this year, more birds) as my friends with big money rice leases and I have NEVER paid for anything more than a hunting license. Three time this season I have limited out on big ducks and been back in my office in south baton rouge by 10am

The only difference is I don't have a fancy camp to sit around and tell lies.

Duck hunting use to be a poor mans sport.

Ok Pal lol

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks Hitman! Seems like you know your stuff. Wouldn't like a little Hitman duck hunter to follow you around; I shut and and listen lol. But thanks man.
    and I have my own dog.

I grew up Duck Hunting in Rice Fields and Old Lakes and sneaking Woodies on Creeks and Bayous. Got older, Dad left the duck lease, parents got split, Joined the Marines and now 20 years later I was in your position just a couple years ago. Looking to get back in it. Now I help guide in Jefferson Parish and hunt with friends in the SWLA Marshes as well as Speck Hunting near Sweet Lake.

Once you get your foot in the door and meet folks, doors will open up. Just be prepared to WORK in the off season. Offer to help brush blinds, build them etc.

Also I'd advise against bringing your dog unless he is a Top Flight Gun Dog that can be handled to a blind retrieve of no less than 100 yds. The thing is, or as the old saying goes, "Your dog might not get you invited to a duck hunt, but he sure can get you uninvited the next time" LOL! Take that for what it's worth. I have a 1 year old that I don't take when I guide b/c he's not quite ready for PrimeTime! He's close though.

Also be mindful that we are closing in on the end of the 2012-13 Season here with only 18 days left for the West & Coastal Zones and 25 days left for the East Zone.

Speck Season goes on to Feb. 3rd for West/Coastal and Jan. 27th for East Zone.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I just don't know where is legal to duck hunt etc. how to tell what duck Im shooting because I think each one has their own bag limit. Or how to call really. I bought one and have been watching the duck commander but it's harder than it sounds lol.

An old coonass once told me; "If you shoot it, it's in season!" :D

I laughed; but he wasn't kidding!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Do what I did...

Step 1: Put deposit on a good bird dog pedigree litter and wait 9 months until he's ready to come home
    Step 2: During that time, spend money on all the necessities... decoys, gear, clothing, gun, practice on clays, etc
    Step 3: Get a boat! Preferrably one that requires a large amount of work to get where you want it to be, but with a working motor
    Step 4: Begin training puppy with the full understanding that he will not be ready to go out with you for at least a year.
    Step 5: Find no one to go with
    Step 6: Get so busy at work and school that you have no time to get your boat ready or just walk out somewhere
    Step 7: Finish boat near the end of the duck season after school and work are starting back up
    Step 8: Wait until next season.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Ok Pal lol

I gotta kind of agree with Mayo. I know a few WMA that can be accessed rather easily by canoe or pirogue. It's kind of a pain in the ass though; particularly if you don't have to or can afford not to. But you can most assuredly bag some birds.

If I were doing it all over again, that's where I would go to cut my teeth. But you have to have some sense of what to do. I would say that the toughest part is staying dry while trying to keep you gear load to a minimum.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I gotta kind of agree with Mayo. I know a few WMA that can be accessed rather easily by canoe or pirogue. It's kind of a pain in the ass though; particularly if you don't have to or can afford not to. But you can most assuredly bag some birds.

If I were doing it all over again, that's where I would go to cut my teeth. But you have to have some sense of what to do. I would say that the toughest part is staying dry while trying to keep you gear load to a minimum.

I'm not saying its not possible but there are very FEW Public Honey Holes NOT KNOWN and even fewer that don't dry up after a hunt or two per season.

Believe me I haven't been a Lease hunter all my life, I know of public honey holes out there and guard them like my children LOL! but the odds that a new guy goes out and sets him one up? not very good. That’s was my point.

Not sure on that side of the state but in CENLA, Catahoula Lake is EASY to hunt and is public also. That would be a good place to start. Is there anything like that in the SE?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Do what I did...

Step 1: Put deposit on a good bird dog pedigree litter and wait 9 months until he's ready to come home
    Step 2: During that time, spend money on all the necessities... decoys, gear, clothing, gun, practice on clays, etc
    Step 3: Get a boat! Preferrably one that requires a large amount of work to get where you want it to be, but with a working motor
    Step 4: Begin training puppy with the full understanding that he will not be ready to go out with you for at least a year.
    Step 5: Find no one to go with
    Step 6: Get so busy at work and school that you have no time to get your boat ready or just walk out somewhere
    Step 7: Finish boat near the end of the duck season after school and work are starting back up
    Step 8: Wait until next season.

:rofl: Man the time flys eh?

We need some more pics of that pup!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm not saying its not possible but there are very FEW Public Honey Holes NOT KNOWN and even fewer that don't dry up after a hunt or two per season.

Believe me I haven't been a Lease hunter all my life, I know of public honey holes out there and guard them like my children LOL! but the odds that a new guy goes out and sets him one up? not very good. That’s was my point.

Not sure on that side of the state but in CENLA, Catahoula Lake is EASY to hunt and is public also. That would be a good place to start. Is there anything like that in the SE?

Pearl River, Manchac & Wisner (pirogue friendly). With boat - Biloxi & Sherburne. With boat and set of nuts the size of grape fruits - Pass A Loutre.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    :rofl: Man the time flys eh?

We need some more pics of that pup!

I'll get some more up soon. I'm behind on his training as well. Not drastically so, but I took a week off of following Hillmann's dvd series while I was in Florida. Did do some retrieving work (in-laws live on a little lake). Worked on water retrieves a little (still refusing to swim out for it, but might be because it's so cold) and did some traffic cop which he's getting very quickly. Love when my family members think I'm a magician when they see how well he listens.

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    im in the SAME damn boat Dishonored. Im also in St Amant as well. I havent been duck hunting since i was 15!
    28 years later i really want to go. Ive got lots of calls, and have been learning from the Haydel Dvd series.
    I just dont quite know where to go.
    But I have the money for a guide service, and the ambition too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom