Duck hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Sugar I already have two bird dogs man(gsp). I really don't need a lab. It wouldn't get the attention is deserves.
    But I do not mind working or helping anyone with there spot etc. I will trade my time on a quail hunt for their time on a duck hunt or just being friendly.
    Sensei I have never been lol. We can go on a guide service. Looks like I will have to my first time out. I can shoot though so if they point to it then it will be down.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok Pal lol

I've been doing it for 20 years dude. I'm not talking out of my ass.

People that say they guard their public land "honey holes" either don't know what they are taking about or don't consistently kill birds in WMA's. I'm not saying either one apply to you specifically; I'm saying that birds do this funny thing, they fly.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sugar I already have two bird dogs man(gsp). I really don't need a lab. It wouldn't get the attention is deserves.
    But I do not mind working or helping anyone with there spot etc. I will trade my time on a quail hunt for their time on a duck hunt or just being friendly.
    Sensei I have never been lol. We can go on a guide service. Looks like I will have to my first time out. I can shoot though so if they point to it then it will be down.

Be careful hiring a guide for duck hunting. It's not like hiring a fishing charter where they actively look for the fish. Duck hunting guides sometimes take you on a guided hunt on a lease. They may put decoys out, call, clean birds, cook, ect. They aren't taking you out to look for birds, they are taking you to a blind on a pond that they own. A lot like paying someone to fish in their backyard pond or a hunting trip in a fenced in park.

I'm not saying all do this but a great deal of them do. Especially in the eastern part of the state. Places like hopedale, delecroix, myrtle grove, that's almost ALL private leases. They don't even like people fishing there. To clarify, there are marinas and boat launches so people obviously fish the area. However, people like myself who use kayaks don't have the luxury or running several miles to unposted water.

I'm not hunting the rest of the year, I think it's only about 2 and half weeks anyway, but I'll be more than happy to share my GPS coordinates of the places I shot and didn't shoot birds. As well as places I think will attract birds.

My honey holes, if you will.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Thanks everyone!
    I just left cabelas. I did some research and can't find anything bad about them.
    I am gonna try to purchase the weatherby sa-08 auto loader.
    Is it best to get syn over wood or does it not matter? Also is there a plus side to having a pump over an auto loader for duck. I know I love my auto for qual. Less felt recoil and in my opinion my Winchester is really light compared to my pump.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks everyone!
    I just left cabelas. I did some research and can't find anything bad about them.
    Is it best to get syn over wood or does it not matter? Also is there a plus side to having a pump over an auto loader for duck. I know I love my auto for qual. Less felt recoil and in my opinion my Winchester is really light compared to my pump.

I like Wood, but some of the finest Duck Guns don't come in wood.

As far as Pumps, my 870 Express has over 8,000 shells through it and I've simply never had a FTE/jam. Can't say the same for some of the Auto's I hunt with, but then again such is life with Auto's. :dunno:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thanks everyone!

Synthetic would be best. That said, I have an AL390 Silver Mallard with wood stock. However, it is only because I could not find that gun with a synthetic stock at the time I was looking. Both work, but no sense paying more for wood when you're just going to be beating it up.

I like auto loading, but there are values to pumps as well. Hitman uses an 870 pump and does great with it.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I like auto loading, but there are values to pumps as well. Hitman uses an 870 pump and does great with it.

and even still I plan to buy an Auto this spring. :dunno:

I was just kind of making the point known that there's nothing wrong with pumps, but I don't see many older folks using them and for a good reason. It's like a Bolt Action, you get all the Recoil :D

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ok. Any news on the weatherbys.
    They seemed really nice when I checked them out at cabelas. Some of the prettiest wood I have seen on a shotgun before especially at only $329.00.
    Then they had them in synthetic and a waterfowl edition with the grass and all for only $299.99. Pump is smooth and fit looks good.... Still need to decide pump or auto though. The pump is $299-329 auto loader is a flat $469.99

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well thanks for the reply anyway.
    The reviews online say they are top notch and the #1 for the price range... Suppose to be better than the 870 but.... every manufacturer would like that title lol.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    A buddy of mine just offered me a mossberg 835 ulti-mag for $250....
    Never really had luck with their hunting shotguns though... Any opinions?
    ubehe4a7.jpg

senseibuddy

Black Riflin' & Glock'n
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    st amant
    i like mossberg and they have been good to me. that said, if im going to duck hunt, im going semi auto...not pump. Just my opinion

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Just picked me up a remington 870 supermag. Nice gun.
    Also got me a 14ft bateau.
    Now just need a place and some stuff to set a blind up on the boat.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just picked me up a remington 870 supermag. Nice gun.
    Also got me a 14ft bateau.
    Now just need a place and some stuff to set a blind up on the boat.

Congratulations. You just bought a Shotgun that will most likely be around longer than you will want to shoot it. 25-30-35 years or so.

That is 'IF' you're brave enough to shoot 3 1/2" shells out of it :eek4:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    a8egupej.jpg

There it is. The ole supermag. Traded my HD 870 for it and the 14' bateau (no papers or trailer but dont think i need that for a trolling motor) It has one popped rivet but I can fix that at work. I am buying a 36lb 12v trough motor tomorrow and a battery. All I need is someone to go with and figure out a way to blind up the boat....

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you put anything but human power on a boat it has to be registered and if you acquired a boat with no papers, good luck with registering it.

Well shucks! Looks like I will be buying another paddle.
    Registered for just a little trollin motor!!?
    I can prolly row faster than it can push. I just wanted it because it is easier.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Traded my HD 870 for it and the 14' bateau (no papers or trailer but dont think i need that for a trolling motor) It has one popped rivet but I can fix that at work. I am buying a 36lb 12v trough motor tomorrow and a battery. All I need is someone to go with and figure out a way to blind up the boat....

You will have to leave the launch at midnight if you try this set up. I have a 14ft flat and wouldn't even hallucinate about paddling that to a duck spot. Then you want to brush the boat itself? Buddy, you really do need some guidance. Unless it's a skinny flat, it's not going to work! And if it is a skinny; brushing it will be unstable and dangerous!

You need to use that boat to get you to a pond where you can leave the boat and walk (with hip boots), a good way. If you want to brsuh the boat, cover it when you get there just to break up the lines.

Sure, you could go and give it a try just for the learning experience, but I'm telling you; this ain't the way. You fall in that water when its 40 degrees outside, and try to paddle back to a launch soaking wet, you're gonna die!

Bite the bullet, buy a 24hp outboard (Yamaha) ;), and fix the boat up right.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I routinely hunt out of a boat with a blind on it. It's not a jon-boat, but have never had a problem with killing birds

Top Bottom