effective range of 223?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • screamingdemon

Firearm & DSM Junky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Cotton Valley, LA
    If its an older Mini 14 the pencil barrel is horrible. The newer ones have good accuracy. If you insist on using a .223 then make sure you practice good shot placement. My friend shot one with his M4 while using Remington HP's and it clipped its heart. Even with the shot to the heart it ran about 30yrds before face planting.

Effective range will come down to the round your using but I don't think I'd take a shot much past 300meters with out alot of practice.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Even with the shot to the heart it ran about 30yrds before face planting.
    30 yards is an easy day to me. I've never had to track one, thankfully, but 30 yards and I'm a happy camper.

I like Hornady TAP 75gr, myself. Seems pretty popular and dropped the one deer I got with my AR pretty well. He ran toward me about 20 yards, so I was grateful he was eager to help me. I've taken more deer with a Ruger m77 in .243 though. It's mostly a matter of whim, which rifle I take to the stands.

I remember when I was shooting .243, some old codgers tried telling me it was a "kid bullet" meaning that no grown man would shoot it because it's barely good enough for deer, and only tolerable for people who can't handle the recoil of "serious cartridges"

Some people aren't happy unless their little dick is compensated by shooting a large bore belted magnum at a ****ing squirrel, I'm sure.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hell no, I have a poor opinion of the mini 14.

However, 223 is a fine choice for deer, opposed to your assertion.

What exactly is it that makes a good deer cartridge, in your eyes, that the 223 lacks? Because 223 is popular enough up in Missouri where I most commonly hunt. And the deer sure get a lot bigger up there than the bayou-bred rats-with-horns that roam these parts.

Did you just make fun of our deer?!

tumblr_m6pmqaYPFs1rohgoeo1_500.gif

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have a mini that was bought mid 90's , and I wouldn't do that to a animal . 50 yrds I could never get group less then spraying a paper plate :(

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have a mini that was bought mid 90's , and I wouldn't do that to a animal . 50 yrds I could never get group less then spraying a paper plate :(
    That kinda makes me sad :/ Ruger is not bad with a lot of their stuff. And a mag fed ranch rifle is like... it's a good thing. It's just a shame that they apparently made a less-than-par product with that premise :(

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Well as all things I reckon what you see is what you believe and hunting in la from its swaps to its hills I all ways laugh when we take the rolling tape back to the shot from the the stand to where we find the deer or first blood 300yrds lolololo

Can someone translate Cletus to English for me?

It's really hard to do without punctuation marks and capital letters.

JR1572

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    go ahead and if you shoot pass 70 yrds and bring one down post pictures 223 is not a good deer round

Here's your requested picture.
    Shot at 80 yards with a 60 grain Nosler Partition. Went 3 steps before falling. A.223 may not be the best round for deer hunting but in the right hands it can get the job done. Olympic Arms AR-15. This is the 5th one taken with it.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Shucks my moms old mini-14 must be a golden one. A little leupold 1-4x24 sits on top of it and I can group a little smaller than the palm of my hand at 100yds with it. This one is probably from around the 70-'s-80's as my mom used it to hunt as a young girl.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Considering that the 223 was developed from the 222 Remington, which was designed to kill 1/2 lb. praire dogs at 150 yards, it seems like the perfect round for 100 - 200 lb animals at any range

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Considering that the 223 was developed from the 222 Remington, which was designed to kill 1/2 lb. praire dogs at 150 yards, it seems like the perfect round for 100 - 200 lb animals at any range
    Well yea, except no one has changed powder or bullet technology since the 1960s, so there's no way a .223Remington, even with another 10k psi chamber pressure allowance could ever be used for anything beyond poodles, right?

bth_trollface.png

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Well as all things I reckon what you see is what you believe and hunting in la from its swaps to its hills I all ways laugh when we take the rolling tape back to the shot from the the stand to where we find the deer or first blood 300yrds lolololo

Huh?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Those guys... "Your (gun/bullet) isn't sufficient for deer hunting and its unethical to kill an animal with anything less than a (gun he owns)." - He says while waiting for Bow season

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I just don't understand all the mini 14 hate. We have 3 of them in my family and all three group no more than an inch at 100 yards. Mine is a 188 series and the only thing I did to it was add an accu strut. It grouped about 2.5" at 100 yards (edit: before the accu strut was added). The first shots are always dead on. Hopefully you're not shooting 5 times to heat the barrel up before trying to take your deer. The only problems arise from the older minis occur after the barrel heats up.

Last edited:

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I just don't understand all the mini 14 hate. We have 3 of them in my family and all three group no more than an inch at 100 yards. Mine is a 188 series and the only thing I did to it was add an accu strut. It grouped about 2.5" at 100 yards (edit: before the accu strut was added). The first shots are always dead on. Hopefully you're not shooting 5 times to heat the barrel up before trying to take your deer. The only problems arise from the older minis occur after the barrel heats up.

My hatred for them has always been that it is an inferior gun. If it cost $200 I would understand but you can buy a cheap AR for the same price. I've shot 3 Mini 14s and none of them were reliable. Its a gun that I just don't "get". But I'm glad someone likes them. That sellout William Ruger needs money too I guess.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom