Eighth-grader shot in head following argument.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    By: Eric Heisig
    Staff Writer

Published: Monday, January 2, 2012 at 6:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 12:07 p.m.

RACELAND — A Thibodaux eighth-grader was killed late Monday night after being shot in the head following a verbal argument with six other people in Raceland, police said.

Jamonta Miles, 15, was pronounced dead at the scene, while another passenger, 17-year-old Ijah Baptiste, is being treated for a bullet wound in the left elbow at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center, authorities said.

Miles and Baptiste, also of Thibodaux, were in a GMC Yukon with five other male teens about 11:30 p.m. when they got into a verbal argument with a man at Market and Fifth streets, officials said.

After words were exchanged, the man, who is still unidentified, pulled out a gun and fired several shots at them, police said.

Nobody else was injured, police said. After the shots were fired, the group left the intersection, authorities said. The driver pulled over three-quarters of a mile away on La. 1 near St. Phillip Street after spotting a Lafourche sheriff's deputy's car.

The five others in the car have been interviewed, but no arrests have been made, said sheriff's spokesman Brennan Matherne. It has not been determined whether charges will be filed against the other occupants of the SUV, Matherne said, though their names are being withheld because they “are still victims.”

An autopsy will be performed on Miles Wednesday morning by the Jefferson Coroner's Office, said Lafourche Coroner's Office Chief Investigator Mark Goldman.

Miles was a student at West Thibodaux Middle School.

Trisha Adams, 23, said she was laying in bed when she heard five shots. She, along with her sister, later made their way to La. 1 and St. Phillip Street to find out what happened.“All I heard was ‘pow' and said ‘What was that?' ” Adams said.

Investigators were at Market and 5th streets and La. 1 and St. Phillip Street for several hours Monday night. The Raceland Volunteer Fire Department, Lafourche Coroner's Office and Acadian Ambulance assisted the Sheriff's Office.

As investigators worked, a crowd of Miles' family and friends gathered in a parking lot across the street. When the body was taken away by the Coroner's Office, loved ones moved closer to the street, crying and holding each other as they watched.

“I just talked to him this morning,” said his aunt, Wanda Hutchinson, explaining that he was going to come over Tuesday to fix a computer.

Those who knew Miles said word traveled fast, be it through phone calls or posts on Facebook.

“I had girls calling asking if it was true,” said his cousin, 17-year-old Brian Brown, explaining that people had read about it online less than an hour after it happened.

On Monday night, family said they didn't know what Miles was doing several miles from his home in the Midland community of Thibodaux.

“With the parents he has, had they known, they would have gotten him (in trouble),” said Miles' cousin, 28-year-old Tiffany Hutchinson.

This is the first homicide in Lafourche Parish in 2012.

Anyone with information can call Bayou Region Crime Stoppers at 1-800-743-7433.

Staff Writer Eric Heisig can be reached at 857-2202 or eric.heisig@dailycomet.com. Keep up-to-date with Lafourche crime news on Twitter @LafourcheCrime.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    8th grader who is 15?
    Nonetheless this is very sad. Nothing gets to me more than hearing or seeing when gets are involved in these incidents.
    Godspeed.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Just released on WDSU channel 6-The six other who were in the suv were arrested on gang related charges.

wish I'd said wait for it ....I am really sorry for the young guys loss...and what it does to famlies but this had bangin all over it. If I were guessin they were just doing what they thought was playing gang, lookin like playahs

It seems so in a lot of these stories, youngsters get the fire to be illustrious and end up incarcerated ...or incenerated

More to come I'm sure

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    8th grader who is 15?

Not all that unusual. There's been a trend to have kids start school later than when we were kids. Then all it takes is to get held back once and there you go. My youngest daughter turned 15 in 8th grade for that very reason - and she wasn't the only one.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Most people I know turned 14 in 8th grade, I don't 15 is to far a stretch.

Its not like this is 17yr old in Jr High that we often hear about.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    The Rest of the Story:

Gang activity led to fatal shooting, police say
    NOTE: This story contains racially-charged language.By Eric Heisig
    Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:13 p.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6:13 p.m.

The Thibodaux eighth-grader killed in Raceland late Monday was part of a gang that was “terrorizing” a Raceland neighborhood the same night in search of people they were feuding with on Facebook, police said.

An unknown gunman killed Jamonta Miles, 15, at Market and Fifth streets after Miles and the six other teens asked the man if they could buy marijuana, Lafourche sheriff's deputies said. An argument ensued, and the gunman shot Miles and 17-year-old Ijah Baptiste. Baptiste was later treated for a gunshot wound to the left elbow at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center.

The gunman fled, and the group drove three-quarters of a mile away, stopping at La. 1 and St. Phillip Street before calling police.

On Wednesday, Baptiste, as well as Damian Dyer, 18, Jeremy Carcisse 18, Donovon McPherson, 17, Devonte Robertson 17, and Damien Wagner, 18 were arrested on a variety of gang and drug charges.

The seven, including Miles, were part of a gang named “Young Niggas in Charge,” authorities said. The septet had gone to Raceland to find a group of people they had been fighting with online, police said.

When the “gang” could not find the group they were feuding with, they decided to terrorize other people. Lafourche Sheriff Craig Webre said at least two individuals have told investigators the group made threats to them and tried to harm them.

The gunman “decided to stand his ground” when approached by the alleged gang, Webre said.

The six are charged with various charges stemming from the gang-related activity, and are being held in the Lafourche Parish jail awaiting a bond hearing.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    11:45 Driving Curfew is at 11.
    Isn't there a law that limits the number of other teens allowed in a vehicle with a teen driver?

Also, Shouldn't all of the "Gang" be charged with the 1st degree murder of the dead 15 year old?
    They were with him in the commission of a crime when he was killed.

It is truly sad that people value life so little.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    But he was such a good boy...

bilde

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    You know what they say about stupid games. They picked the wrong part of town to pull that stunt. Sad that he had to die from stupidity but that's what's breeding in the youth today.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    "Young Niggas in Charge"??? Really? And these people are the ones who get 'offended' when we use the word ******?

I don't feel bad in the least. The worst part of this is not the death of a 15 y/o. Its the fact that we will have to feed and house the others involved!

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    "Young Niggas in Charge"??? Really? And these people are the ones who get 'offended' when we use the word ******?

I don't feel bad in the least. The worst part of this is not the death of a 15 y/o. Its the fact that we will have to feed and house the others involved!

You're assuming the others were not already being fed and housed by your money.

Top Bottom